1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Hi-Fi that disappointed you!

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by birchoak, Jun 14, 2018.

1. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

A thread that makes sense? What an innovator you are!

I'd be banned, shunned, and have to join a new site among pretentious snobs somewhere.

[​IMG]

Roadrash and birchoak like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. z-adamson

z-adamson AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can think of no scenario where all that headroom would be a negative thing. Even a low listening levels lots of headroom is GOOD.

I have no need for a tuner (although the 1250 tuner is really good) and I don't technically need 160wpc, but I still really like my 1250. Awesome amp and preamp.

gdmoore28 and musichal like this.
  3. Mysteryed

Mysteryed The Antique Subscriber

Akai AS-8810 Receiver- Quad sound, but the matrix-ed simulation was flat, flat, flat! No depth, missing soundstage.... Like listening to music in an over padded, dead room. Bought it new. Played through Marantz Imperial 7 speakers (those were already a disappointment). My mistake was only compounded by the addition of the Akai.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  4. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

My first 1980's purchase, a Yamaha A-760. Everyone was raving about Yamaha's "Natural Sound". No matter how I fiddled with the many controls, I just couldn't get it to sound right to me. Big Disappointment!

5. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2. Saw them in a pawnshop and pounced. This may sound odd, but they were new to me, I didn't know about them or their legendary status. But I fell in love, they were so gorgeous. They were mint, spotless, and the price was a gift. I couldn't wait to get them home!

What a letdown. They must be great for Heavy Metal, but I don't play Heavy Metal. For Classical? Might as well play Mozart through a meat grinder. Zero finesse, subtlety, nuance. I loaned them to a friend. He was a professional audio reviewer; he knew all about their legend but never heard them, and was dying to. He was also disappointed, even moreso because I had no inflated expectations and he did.

This was almost 25 years ago so they weren't all that old, no reason to think dodgy caps were degrading the sound. A thousand knobs and switches on the preamp probably did — but even with a great, less fancy preamp instead, the Spec 2 was horrible. To my ears, of course.

Sold them on the bay, made a hefty return on my minimal investment. Made the mistake of selling them as a pair, probably would've gotten more singly. Oh, by the way, the pawnbroker threw in a Pioneer CD player for free. It had a rare silver face and the wonderful Stable Platter transport. It was great, but I already had the Elite series PD-65 and it was better, so I sold the CDP too.

Yeah, I made money but that's not why I'm into this. Reinvested the money into something else, but it was so long ago I don't recall how that worked out.

6. birchoak

birchoak Hi-Fi Nut Subscriber

Touche! I do not make sense most of the time, even to myself. And that totally rots that three Hafler amps let you down--When I started this thread, I wasn't really thinking about engineers; I was thinking more about what it's like to pine for something you couldn't afford when you were younger (and had hair), and how your dream(s) can be thwarted by the ravages of time (2230s were reliable when new and were never designed to keep working for 40 years), false advertising on auction sites, and unreasonable expectations. Or, maybe the thing just didn't deliver the goods, in one's own, crazy, distorted world. Logic is not part of this, so you may have to peruse a different thread for that.

Roadrash likes this.

7. birchoak

Thank you, good sir. That was an awesome movie, as well.

musichal likes this.
  8. birchoak

That Pioneer Spec stuff has been unobtanium forever! I always assumed that it would sound so good that my head would explode and I would find God. It's nice to hear an opinion from a "normal" person (nobody is normal) that reinforces my bang-for-the-buck philosophy: if it costs anywhere near my mortgage payment, I'm not biting.

9. birchoak

Wow, and you bought it new! No arguments about old caps killing the true sound, needed servicing to sound right, etc. to bail that 8810 out of the sad toy bin! Sometimes a product just doesn't do it for us.

10. birchoak

I had a pair of those Pioneer speakers, too, and while they were not offensive they did not impress me, either. Cheapo Paradigm Titans v.1 sounded much, much better (maybe I needed to break the Pioneers in?).

11. birchoak

I love it when David Byrne comes out in that giant white suit--the dude freaks me out enough as it is--and starts dancing around in it (that really was in the movie, right? Hope I didn't hallucinate that!).

Ds2000 and musichal like this.

12. CapZark

CapZark Well-Known Member

Pioneer SX-1980. I could get the woofers on the Cornwall and Heresy to clip pretty easily, but I could never make that happen with LaScala, Belle or Chorus II. They would take whatever I could deliver (until I couldn't take it anymore). Interestingly, I found a pair of HPS SR-70 speakers that look just like a Heresy and they don't clip either. Totally different woofer though.

musichal likes this.
  13. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Well, some like it loud, and some like it reee-al LOUD, I guess. I owned Heresies at one time, and am certain I wouldn't want to be in the room for clipping, lol. Well, maybe at one time... :biggrin: