Hi from London

Welcome Andrew...just visited your fair-shores recently...always have fun in London (even on business). I've had the analog version of that Technics Tuner since about 1980...I use it now as a portable test source.

Again, welcome to AK!

EDIT: I probably should have taken the time to read the OP. Oops.

Is that a Celestion 7 in your avatar? I've been thinking about getting a pair, or maybe some 5's, but haven't decided. I have a pair of 11's that I like very much. Either way, what are your thoughts on them?

Is that a Celestion 7 in your avatar? I've been thinking about getting a pair, or maybe some 5's, but haven't decided. I have a pair of 11's that I like very much. Either way, what are your thoughts on them?
The Celestion 5's are probably the best I have heard, but I have not heard many good speakers. I have mine on Gale Arc 160 speaker stands (26 inches).

Compared to my previous speakers (Sony SS-E44), they have a more flat response. The bass is detailed and loud enough for normal listening, but people who like pounding bass would need to use a subwoofer. My main impression is that the music is more in focus, as if my previous speakers were blurring the music. I now clearly hear musical details that I did not notice before. The bass lines on Metal Box have been transformed. I heard Bowie's stereo vocals in Space Oddity for the first time.

Note that I have the sealed enclosure version. The ported version seems to be more common on a well known auction website.

The label on the back says:
Impedance: 8 ohms
Amplifier Range: 10-90W (The Technics SU-C04 amp is rated at 30W per channel into 8 ohms)
Sensitivity: 88dB (1W/1m Anechoic)

Will be looking forward to hearing tales of buying used equipment in merry old England.
Rapture us with the odd, unusual and esoteric stuff that shows up.
I'm on the look out for a good subwoofer and more micro separates (30cm or 12 inches wide). I'm on a tight budget so I've lost about 95% of the auctions I've bid on, and most auctions go above my price range before I would have bid!

Great to have you as a member Andrew! Over here, there are some regional get-togethers for AK members. Maybe you should organize a UK AKfest? We seem to be getting alot of new members from over there. Cheers!:music:

welcome to ak !! be very cautious the vintage bug is gonna bite ya.
like it did with the rest of us.

hmmm roses for my girl or this sweet marantz 2270 lol

Now, if we can get him interested in "Valves", as our friends across the Big Pond call 'em...BTW, I am the the proud daddy of a Racal RA-17, which is a British boatanchor, their answer to our R-390A. It uses a tuning scheme called the Barlow-Wadley loop, it's a little different until you get used to it.

Another belated welcome. Visited your country several times on business. Enjoyed my stays each time. :thmbsp:
Tim

Welcome to AK!

Looking forward to your posts. You can refer to a whole bunch of equipment most of us have never heard of.

Back
Top Bottom