Hi, I'm Ted

xbted

Hi, I'm Ted. Though my screen name is xbted, Ted is much easier to pronounce. Well, I've written a few posts elsewhere regarding potential purchases, and then regarding problems after I made those purchases.

So this weekend I bought a Sansui SR-4400 TT and an Akai AA-8500, and that's pretty much the extent of my equipment right now. I don't have speakers, and they'll probably have to wait because I live in an apartment (still a grad student,) so I listen to everything through headphones. I have some Etymotic ER-4s and a couple of big pairs of Sennheisers HD-something or anothers, running through a headphone amp.

I grew up with vinyl, but I never realized how good it actually sounds. My parents never had anything like what I picked up. Despite the occasional pops and hisses, to say that I was surprised at the sound in an understatement.

I've been thinking for the past 10 years or so that my hearing was going bad because music just didn't sound that great anymore; then I played my vinyl copy of The Ventures 'Golden Hits', of which I have most of the songs on CD. The difference was astounding, the vinyl sounded much more real than CD or, obviously, WMA. And there was a clarity to the music that I just don't hear with a lot of my music on CD, as if parts weren't all squished together and each individual instrument could be heard. Long story short, I ended up spending the entire weekend listening to the same 4 albums over and over again because I couldn't believe how it sounded.

So, thanks to the members who provided me with advice and suggestions, and it's nice to meet you all.

Welcome to AK Ted, I grew up listening to the Ventures, their Christmas album was a favorite at this time of year. It good to have you here.

Back
Top Bottom