Hi, new Fisher 500 owner

Hi folks - I was just given an old Fisher 500 (C) AM/FM receiver by a distant family member, so new to this!
It's not been used for many years, and clear it had some work to it in the past. I'm hoping to get some good advice here! Thanks, Sue

Well welcome to the AK Sue. You have a very nice distant family member for sure.
Congrats on getting a fine receiver. Depending on when this was used last you might want to have someone look at it before you use it. There are threads here on AK that will explain why tube gear needs to be treated a bit differently than solid state gear when powering it up for the first time. Especially if it hasn't been used in a few years. If you can find out what's been done to it in the past that would also help you as well. These things can get kinda 'spensive.

Welcome! If you are looking for Fisher aficionados, you have come to the right place.

Thank you all!
I believe it's been 20 years or more since it was used, I can't be sure because the family member died last year, and the surviving family is quite old. Knowing that I listen to blues, jazz and classical music a lot they ought I'd like it, as it was supposedly a good one back in it's day. It has no wooden cover so one thing I can see about it is that one of the 4 large tubes in the very back has the glass outer part loose and wobbly with white stuff all over the inside, the other 3 look normal like other ones. Also there is 1 large transformer (the big square thing) and 2 small ones, but one of the small ones looks like it doesn't belong there, it's being held on by only 2 screws instead of 4, is narrower than the other one, and you can see a footprint where it looks like a larger one was there at one time. The family recalls that it may have gone in for repairs once many years ago. So it looks like another sojourn in the repair shop may be in order. :-(

Thank you for the warm welcome!
HarmonKardon, I have good friends who are natives of Schvenningen-Villengen,
near the Black Forest, visited them back in the '70s (I am old!)

Back
Top Bottom