Hi new here from UT

cyberdogg

I registered to read the tips on the audio electronics for research, purchase ideas and hooking up for my elderly parents.

Recently I hooked up the vintage Sony electronics (LBT-D107 hi-fi stereo), which may not be a receiver, along with vintage Sony loudspeaker set, to the 4k HDTV, and it worked spectacular with the playing of the Blu-ray movies such as La La Land.

My parents said I'm a "genius" for hooking up the old and obsolete Sony electronic equipment to the 4k tv through configuration and converter, even though they don't want to own the receiver.

I am hearing impaired/deaf. I enjoy hooking up and figuring out to measure sound quality, bass, balance, etc according to their feedback.

I like the idea of vintage electronics, especially receiver. Perhaps Pioneer SX-1980 analog receiver (scan of magazine ad; info source) would be for me as a gift to my parents.

Last edited:
Welcome from another Utahn (ex-Minnesotan).

An SX-1980 is a very nice stereo receiver - which presumably would be paired with a pair of nice stereo speakers. But it "sounds" like your parents may not be the sort who would enjoy a high-quality stereo receiver. It may be advisable to start with something a bit lower-power (and smaller), like a Topping TP60 (or other small 'Class D' amp) and a pair of small monitor speakers. Or perhaps a pair of small active stereo speakers -- e.g. AudioEngine A5+. The thing about parents is - they're generally not going to change, no matter how much we think that they should. :)

Welcome from another Utahn (ex-Minnesotan). [...]

Thank you for the advice. I am considering persuading my parents to buy the gently used receiver that is recent. They really don't have a clue how to set up the receiver stereo system with surround sound speakers, so they count on me to help them out, even with setting up computers.

Hello and Welcome. An SX-1980 offer you will not find very often because it is one of the "Must have" collector's items.

Hello and Welcome. An SX-1980 offer you will not find very often because it is one of the "Must have" collector's items.

Of course, there is always eBay, whether half-functioning (repairable by an expert) or refurbished and restored or, more rarely, working condition as-is.

If you may, recommend the reasonable priced vintage receiver/amplifier up to early 90's, for my parents, that would pair well with the old Sony loudspeakers. Even configurable with suggested converters for a HDTV for example.

Welcome to the AK Crew.

If all went well in the "hook up"...then you ARE a genius!:biggrin:

Have great listening,

Q

Back
Top Bottom