Hi, Newbie and Need HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!

Vonshears

Hi I am staying at a friends vacation house and it has a decent home stereo system. Rotel RB-1080 amp and Rotel RX1080 Control Amp. B&W speakers.

My 6 year old was messing around with the system when I was outside and the something happened or a control setting is off or a series of buttons were pushed who knows.

The system is now VERY VERY quiet. even when the volume is turned up. Music sounds as if it's coming from deep in a well.

Does this sound like anything to anyone? A normal problem or situation to anyone. Is the system fried?

I checked the fuse in the amp and it's NOT blown

I am not home electronic savvy and do not own a system like this myself.

I would hate to think that my son broke this expensive gear.

I GREATLY appreciate any help you may be able to offer me!

Thank you

Last edited:
Ouch! Don't panic. Was the system playing at the time? If so, did you hear a change, such as it getting very loud? What is the music source?

Hopefully a Rotel person will answer soon..

Ouch! Don't panic. Was the system playing at the time? If so, did you hear a change, such as it getting very loud? What is the music source?

Hopefully a Rotel person will answer soon..

Thanks for your quick response @DougMac indeed the system was on and he said he turned it loud.
The music source was CD.

I'm hoping it is just a switch setting, such as a mute button. I tried to find a photo, but can't.

Did you ask the boy what buttons he pressed or If he did at all ?
You mentioned that you heard it go loud. How loud is loud ?
Have you tried going through the layout ?
I've tried to search for such a RX 1080 and I'm getting nothing. Are you sure it's that model ?
Can you upload some pics of what you're dealing with ?

Did you ask the boy what buttons he pressed or If he did at all ?
You mentioned that you heard it go loud. How loud is loud ?
Have you tried going through the layout ?
I've tried to search for such a RX 1080 and I'm getting nothing. Are you sure it's that model ?
Can you upload some pics of what you're dealing with ?
The control amp is a RX 1050. Sorry. Typo
I heard it outside so fairly loud. I did ask him and he's six and freaked out that his dads freaked out. His quote was "all of them"
What is "going through the layout"?
Here are some photos of the components and how it looks right now. Hope this helps.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_7502.JPG
    IMG_7502.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7507.JPG
    IMG_7507.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7508.JPG
    IMG_7508.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7503.JPG
    IMG_7503.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 96
I see it says CD & Phono on the front of the Amp, try to get the phono turned off so it just says CD.

In one pic the unit is showing it as playing CD input and Phono input at the same time.
Being unfamiliar with this type of amp, I'm not sure this should be.
Going through the layout, I was just referring to the button selection "the layout".
That poor kid. I hope you weren't too hard on him. They all do things like that.
I have a 4 year old and likes to fiddle with my Vintage Pioneer receivers untill he gets a swift "NO". " You don't touch Daddy's things !"

Did you try unselecting either speaker A or Speaker B ?
The speakers could be hooked up to either one of these.

In one pic the unit is showing it as playing CD input and Phono input at the same time.
Being unfamiliar with this type of amp, I'm not sure this should be.
Going through the layout, I was just referring to the button selection "the layout".
That poor kid. I hope you weren't too hard on him. They all do things like that.
I have a 4 year old and likes to fiddle with my Vintage Pioneer receivers untill he gets a swift "NO". " You don't touch Daddy's things !"

Did you try unselecting either speaker A or Speaker B ?
The speakers could be hooked up to either one of these.

I notice that PHONO and CD are up at the same time. I tried for hours to get just one to be indicated. I was unsuccessful.

Tried every combination of the A and B speaker buttons. Nothing changed.

I wasn't too hard on him. A good "This is why you don't touch things that don't belong to you"

So by pushing any button is it not responding at all ?
If so. Maybe try to power it down and unplug from mains socket and leave it for an hour or so.
The pcb may have frozen up. Could benefit from being de energized for a while.

Nice looking Rotel outfit. Hopefully you didn't just buy it.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom