Hi, Newbie and Need HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!

She is just an inquisitive kid that had no concept of the value of the things she destroyed. She knew I was upset and I still have her handwritten apology letter. Life goes on, material things are just that, family is far more important. She learned her lesson and that is all I can ask

Last edited by a moderator:
Now before you came here did you fumble around trying to fix this issue?

In the back of the power amp there is a switch for balanced and unbalanced inputs, did this get moved?

I'm having trouble understanding if the speakers are blown, why both?, how come your hearing some sound?

You said the volume is "Low" can you hear music from all the individual drivers?

Here's the thing. The preamp is just a computer. Like you said, if the speakers were blown, there would probably be a distinctive odor. This is why I think he should hunt down another speaker (anyone with this setup HAS to have another set of speakers somewhere) and see if replacing one of the B&Ws results in sound. If not, then the preamp is probably "still thinking" or stuck in Zone 2.

Unless the reboot he did with the combination you gave him resets back to factory, he might still be in "Zone 2" which might explain the very faint sound coming from the speakers.

Here's the thing. The preamp is just a computer. Like you said, if the speakers were blown, there would probably be a distinctive odor. This is why I think he should hunt down another speaker (anyone with this setup HAS to have another set of speakers somewhere) and see if replacing one of the B&Ws results in sound. If not, then the preamp is probably "still thinking" or stuck in Zone 2.

Unless the reboot he did with the combination you gave him resets back to factory, he might still be in "Zone 2" which might explain the very faint sound coming from the speakers.
He's got sound, so it's not that he's not set on the right output, either that or that amp cross talks way to much.

We need to know what sources are being used at this point, maybe the individual line levels are turned down. But they shouldn't be after a reset.

Still waiting :lurk:

Alright everyone. Sorry that I disappeared for a day but as I said we are on vacation and there was some vacationing to do and some wine to drink. I did both.

All of you have been amazing, offered me really good ideas and solid opinions.

I am new to this forum and I am completely impressed with this community.

I finally figured out what's wrong.... dun dun duh!!!!!

2 blown drivers and one blown tweeter. BOOM.

I took the speakers into a repair shop yesterday. Out the door my sons mishap is only going to cost me 360.00.

Sure it stings a little but as you know it could of been a lot worse.

He learned his lesson, I personally learned a shit ton about audio equipment and feel like I made some new friends here on audiokarma. I now know why the forum has it's title.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!! You have good audio karma coming your way!

Best
Ray

I'd go down to the closest Goodwill (or other second hand) and find the cheapest set of conventional speakers to test in place of the B&W's, then once I've confirmed it is the speakers (or not) I'd re-donate them.

I sure hope this has a happy conclusion.

EDIT: Glad you got this figured out and that it's at least a semi-happy conclusion. There really could have been a lot more damage. You did an excellent job of working through this and are a stand up guy for letting your friend know and then making good on the repairs.

I was thinking there might be some blown drivers but some still working. If the speakers were playing but quietly, it could not be blown fuses or the amp in protection as that would = no sound at all.

Sorry to hear of the cost but at least you got it straightened out. Put that on the bill you will present to him when he reaches 18. :biggrin:

Alright everyone. Sorry that I disappeared for a day but as I said we are on vacation and there was some vacationing to do and some wine to drink. I did both.

All of you have been amazing, offered me really good ideas and solid opinions.

I am new to this forum and I am completely impressed with this community.

I finally figured out what's wrong.... dun dun duh!!!!!

2 blown drivers and one blown tweeter. BOOM.

I took the speakers into a repair shop yesterday. Out the door my sons mishap is only going to cost me 360.00.

Sure it stings a little but as you know it could of been a lot worse.

He learned his lesson, I personally learned a shit ton about audio equipment and feel like I made some new friends here on audiokarma. I now know why the forum has it's title.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!! You have good audio karma coming your way!

Best
Ray

Glad you found the problem.
Not to be a downer, but I hope the repair shop will be using OEM B&W drivers for replacements, unless the owner stated that any old drivers will do.

Sorry about the mishap. But, I'm glad a solution was found, and properly resolved. Good man. Plus, it sounds like your son is a budding audiophile. Time to put a simple system together for him, and teach him the basics. Our version of the "Birds and the Bee's", I suppose! :biggrin:

Also, my cat Caliber can change settings on my laptop by walking across the keyboard! It takes me forever to get it straight again. But, he hasn't blown my speakers yet. I might have stir fry him for supper, if he did that! :p

Hopefully we'll see you again in the future.

It's the sons future I'm worried about! Now, every time he does something wrong, it'll be, "You remember that time you blew up my friends stereo"??? "It cost me $500, no, $1000, no, $1500, to get it fixed"!!! "Now, take out the trash, like I asked"!!! :bowdown:

Poor Kid...! :eek: But, the Dad will have ammo for years to come...! :whip: :D

"Hopefully we'll see you again in the future under less stressful conditions" sounds better...
And who knows, maybe the young fellow is a future member.

Young people will do things like that. I had a system playing whale sounds in a maritime museum, and it ran for years. One day a young person slipped behind the display case and tried to make a whale sound that could attract real whales! Kaboom, blown speaker and amp. I could actually hear the pieces of the woofer rattle around in the case! I had to replace the system, such is life. :whip:

Back
Top Bottom