Hi, turns out my ears love hifi

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shamalama, Oct 12, 2017.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

I never thought of myself as an "audiophile", in fact I only learned about the term a few years ago. After a move I ended up with almost no audio equipment and had to rebuild from scratch. Starting with $10 PC speakers and a portable MP3 player, I realized how much I missed by old THX certified setup. In the quest for better audio equipment, I stumbled across the vintage receiver scene.

I have a passable setup for my digital music collection right now (top of the line Logitech 5.1 + Lepy), but I'd like to get a hifi stereo system up and running asap. This is all new to me, and I've been reading up where I can on Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Luxman and Sansui receivers from the 70's (I hadn't heard of Luxman or Sansui before). I'm going into this with only theoretical knowledge, reading up on the various forums here. I suppose any tips from the veterans would be great.

My small budget is for both a receiver and speakers (say $500 to start), and don't need anything too powerful. I was considering a Marantz 2225 with some mid-range bookshelf speakers. What's the best bang for my buck for something that can soothe my ears? I plan on connecting CD's and streaming FLAC audio. With time, adding a turn-table and cassette deck. Would I need an equalizer or pre-amp? And do small modern speakers work with old receivers or would I need to get bigger speakers from that era to really get the nice sound?

2. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Welcome from Europe! :)

3. 432HzBob

432HzBob AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome.
    And you'll be hooked like the rest of us soon enough!

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

5. MCD275

MCD275 Member

Welcome to AK!

6. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

If you're set on vintage receivers, check the usual classifieds locally to see what's available, craigslist, offerup, letgo etc.

Since you're heavily invested in digital content. I would actually look at getting a DAC, a class D amp, and put as much of your budget towards speakers as possible.

7. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome

8. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Greetings to ya!

Rome

9. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

10. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone. :) I'm down the rabbit hole with you now ;-)

Can you elaborate on this? Is there an online resource that outlines all of the classes and what they're good for? Also I rarely see an amp spec that details the class, where would you find that info?

11. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Welcome!

12. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

Class D amps are mostly small, cheap, what some refer to as "digital" amps. There's a huge thread about it "tpa3116 vs tripaths". Most pro sound amps today are class d as well. You can find them for as little as $10 for a bare board, under $100 for one with a case, or $200+ for big power pro amps like crowns. The down side of them is they distort badly when you get past a certain volume level.But within their optimal operating volume levels they will perform well above their price.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tpa-3116-vs-the-tripaths.574806/

This thread only talks about one particular chip. There are more powerful, and less powerful chips available.

13. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

There are several Quebec Members here on AK perhaps they could be of some assistance to you like patate91 from Chicoutimi, Qc,:)

14. Marine0811

Marine0811 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome, good luck in your search for sound

15. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Welcome ot AK.

Good intro. Yer taking yer time and assessing. Many don't!

You'll find your tastes change the more you immerse yourself in this world of sound and tend to discriminate more a well.

Q

16. kryten79

kryten79 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Greetings. You don't need to consider an equalizer unless you like playing and getting out of your chair a lot. You've already received good advice just in the intro thread. There are thousands of opinions on what equipment and which combinations are best. Guess what? All they should be used for are starting points or areas to research. Just start. Listen to other peoples rigs and make your own choices. I prefer Pioneer and Polk but have heard other amazing systems, many of which I cannot justify the cost to obtain for myself. Yeah, they are better systems. No, to me they are not THAT much better. Ya know????? Have fun.

Quadman2 likes this.