1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE-560 V3 Premium Planar Magnetic Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by CKDC, Oct 23, 2018.

1. CKDC

CKDC AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting some headphones to use when my wife is listening to tv upstairs while I am downstairs.

I have a good amplifier to power headphones (Audio Flight 3.)

I have always resited headphone because they were alway uncomfortable after a short while.

Anyway, I saw these on sale: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v3.h...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

It looks like they were made for Adorama?

So, have you any thoughts on these?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Amazon has the same phones for less than $400.
    https://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HE-560-Premium-Magnetic-HeadphoHiFiMan HE-560nes/dp/B07GTQVQVH/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540387120&sr=8-9&keywords=HiFiMan+HE-560

I have a pair of HE-350's. Were I looking to buy another pair of phones the 560's would be at the top of my list. I've tried hard to like headphones. I've bought numerous pairs and several headphone amplifiers. IME none deliver any semblance of a soundstage. What I hear with them is sound in a straight line from one ear to the other. I've always thought that was kind of creepy. Sure some sound airier than others. For me that just spreads the sound around inside my head.

What I hear from headphones makes me dismiss any reviewer who talks about a soundstage using headphones. Either we hear in a completely different way or we have a different definition as to what a soundstage is. For me, a soundstage is the audible image/illusion of musicians performing on a stage over there where my speakers used to be. No headphones I've ever heard come even close to this.

This doesn't apply to binaural recordings. They sound like you are there. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of them and they don't sound very good through speakers.

I've bought several photographic items from Adorama. Their prices for camera gear are usually quite reasonable.

musichal likes this.
  3. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I have the HE-400i and love 'em. Like to hear the premium model, but, on the other hand, since I vastly overpaid for the 400s, that makes them sound as good as the 560. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I don't expect the same sound from headphones that I get with speakers, myself. It's a different way to listen, with its own set of advantages/disadvantages is the way I look at it.

4. JoeESP9

Although I've voiced my complaints about headphone sound take note that I use a pair of Monolith M300's while I'm around and about the city. I accept what headphones can do and don't expect to hear what they can't reproduce. I just disagree with anyone who claims that headphones produce a soundstage. IME none do.

I've heard the Smyth Realizer and it actually makes headphones produce a soundstage. Nothing else is even worth mentioning. But then, that's not the phones. It's the Realizer. If headphone listening was important to me or my only method of listening I'd own a Smyth Realizer.

5. CKDC

I am confused. Your link did not work for me. But, if it is the same thing , why pay $100.00 more for it?

6. CKDC

I don’t understand this either. Why bust on headphones if you don’t like headphones in this thread?

It seems like you like these headphones but you don’t like headphones?

I am just trying to get into the headphone thing and feel like these might be the way to go. I do not think they will turn me away from speakers but might be a good alternative when I need to isolate my music from the Mrs. when she is enjoying her time with the television.

musichal likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Redtide

Redtide Well-Known Member

I have the older version of the HE-560s because I wanted to hear what planar headphones sound like. They sound good and are pretty comfortable. I have other headphones that are more comfortable and sound better so I never use them (HD800s, Beyerdynamic DT880s).

Comfort is very import to me for headphones and the Beyerdynamic pads are very comfortable. You can get some DT880s for less than $200 on amazon. Comfort-wise the DT880s have better pads and are lighter than the HE-560s.

Soundstaging is a low priority for me. Soundstaging sounds natural to me for well recorded classical music (which I don't listen to very much). But for rock and jazz (anything recorded in a recording studio) it usually sounds fake to me so I get distracted questioning the decisions the mixing engineer made. Soundstaging for electronic music is sometimes fun to listen to because I accept that it is 100% invented.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  8. JoeESP9

I'm not "busting" on headphones. I own several pair including Monoliths, Grado's, HiFi Man and JBL's and am not unhappy with the sound. I'm just realistic about there being no soundstage. As a soundstage lover having all the sound come from inside my head in a straight line from one ear to the other makes music sound unnatural to me.

The Smythe Realizer corrects all the shortcomings. Were headphone listening my primary means I'd get one. For a casual user as I am, the cost is out of the question. I heard the A-8 processor which is now discontinued. I have not heard the A-16.

Headphones are an even more personal and idiosyncratic than speakers. That's why in my first post I said you have to listen to some or buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy.

FWIW: I have planar loudspeakers and headphones. They are my preference. Amazon has a much better price than Adorama (50% less) for the ones you expressed an interest in.

Here is a link that should work.

https://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HE-560-Premium-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B07GTQVQVH/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1540477008&sr=8-9&keywords=hifiman+he560

One final comment: Planar headphones are usually open backed. Whoever is sitting next to you will easily hear them. Monoprice has a closed back pair.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  9. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

And you would be right, sir. The concept of an accurate soundstage with headphones is a myth. A driver clamped to each ear will NOT produce the psycho-acoustic effect of soundstage.
    Oh, thanks for the tip on the Smyth Realizer - I've never heard of it and will check it out.

Cheers

10. nerdorama

nerdorama AK member Subscriber

I've always had problems with headphone comfort. A friend has the HE-560's and they are fairly comfortable. I recently bought some MrSpeakers Aeon open backs and they are very comfortable. I think the odd shape conforms to the head better. They sound good too.
    John