Hifime 9018 optical DAC

Hammett

I have been using the Chromecast Audio on all of my systems, sometimes in combination with a laptop-based system using the Audioquest Dragonfly Black. While the Dragonfly is a wonderful DAC, the Chromecast is much more convenient.

I have found that on most of my systems (porch, garage, basement, living room), the Chromecast is very good sounding, but a little bright and forward.

On a number of these systems I have used lightly modified FIIO D03K (modified by using better smoothing caps with higher ripple ratings) using the Chromecast's optical out and have been quite happy. The $20 FIIO sounds more transparent than the Chromecast alone and I prefer their slightly warmer tone. It is a great bargain.

I recently bought a Hifime (formerly Hifimediy) 9018 optical DAC to see if I could improve on the FIIO and the answer is a resounding YES!

The Hifime DAC is much, much more transparent and detailed than the Chromecast alone or with the FIIO. Online reviews regularly mention the soundstage on the Hifime and this really jumped out at me from the beginning. The stereo image seems wider, deeper, and it is very easy to "see" into the image.

I have been extremely pleased with its bass, as it goes lower than the FIIO or Chromecast, but is also more textured. The midrange is very nice, although vocals can sound thinner than on the Dragonfly. The unit is ever so slightly on the brighter side, but the treble is not at all glaring. I am sensitive to treble and seemingly more so as I get older. The 9018 never goes into brashness. I would describe its overall sound as very relaxed, but also clear.

All in all, it was a great buy for $65 shipped. It comes with the world's thinnest optical cable and a 3.5mm optical adapter. I had better laying around so I have not used it. It does not come with a power supply, but only needs a USB supply.

Is it three times better than the FIIO? Absolutely. I liked it enough that I bought a second unit.

The build quality is probably fine. It has a cheap, plastic case and weighs nothing. You would not buy the Hifime to impress your friends visually.

In comparison to the Dragonsfly Black it seems a little more revealing and a little more energetic and less laid back (no idea how it would compare to the Red). The Black is definitely on the warm side.

The other difference is that the Black can process MQA, but the difference in sound quality between most MQA and non-MQA files has not been quite as earth shattering as MQA's advertising implied (like the woman crying when she heard it for the first time). There is only around $35 difference between the Dragonfly and the Hifime DAC.

Honestly, I could live with either. I am glad I have both. The convenience of controlling the Hifime through the Chromecast is a definite advantage. It really takes the Chromecast to a new level.

I have the same DAC and I also bought it to use with a CCA. I liked it so much that I replaced a Schitt Modi with the Hifime in my main system. :)

I had looked at the Modi, but decided that for the sake of marital bliss I would go with the more affordable Hifime. I would still like to hear the Modi 2 at some point.

The analog output of this unit is a headphone amplifier, not a line level preamp... might not be an issue for most systems, but something to keep in mind. The website does say it works great with line level inputs, though.

Last edited:
The lack of reviews of the Hifime (outside of their website and you can call me paranoid but I do not usually go to manufacturers' websites for an honest appraisal) has surprised me. We have come a long way in the area of affordable DACs. I would love to try a few more out.

Back
Top Bottom