High-End AVRs for Stereo?

Sonyf r
You know I rarely use the tuner so I may be premature or just flat out wrong.I would think for the original msrp they would have good tuners.I used to love separate tuners and had some good ones but other than a couple of good classical stations my FM days are way behind me as are the good tuners gone for that same reason.These uber receivers are pretty much used strictly for the amp sections.I always wondered about the phono sections in the totl receivers of the early 2000s.
Definition for UBER please? Thanks

You know I rarely use the tuner so I may be premature or just flat out wrong.I would think for the original msrp they would have good tuners.I used to love separate tuners and had some good ones but other than a couple of good classical stations my FM days are way behind me as are the good tuners gone for that same reason.These uber receivers are pretty much used strictly for the amp sections.I always wondered about the phono sections in the totl receivers of the early 2000s.
The phono section on my VSX56-TXi leaves a lot to be desired unless I put it in Dolby PLII 5 ch. That seems to warm it right up.

Tuners were no longer a priority by the time these receivers came along. The heyday of FM radio had passed. Also companies had learned customers would be much more likely to complain about noisy reception than poor SQ so the former was the priority even if it was at the expense of the latter.

Tuners were no longer a priority by the time these receivers came along. The heyday of FM radio had passed. Also companies had learned customers would be much more likely to complain about noisy reception than poor SQ so the former was the priority even if it was at the expense of the latter.
The same may perhaps be said about the phono sections also.I had a Technics sl1200 connected to the RXV1 and found it to be unremarkable.

Just to add, l am a supporter of using a quality surround receiver for stereo use however there is one thing that lets them down against the old gear and that is the FM tuner.

I do not agree. I am using a Marantz SR 7000 as a preamp and FM tuner connected to a Mcintosh MC-162 amp and it works quite well.
A small powered indoor antennae pulls in a wonderful FM Classical station 35 miles away. I purchased the Marantz a few years ago for $ 75.00.

The same may perhaps be said about the phono sections also.I had a Technics sl1200 connected to the RXV1 and found it to be unremarkable.

Exactly the case, CD and HT had taken over as main sources, others were secondary.

I do not agree. I am using a Marantz SR 7000 as a preamp and FM tuner connected to a Mcintosh MC-162 amp and it works quite well.
A small powered indoor antennae pulls in a wonderful FM Classical station 35 miles away. I purchased the Marantz a few years ago for $ 75.00.

I shouldn't have generalised what l said as my experience has only been with multiple Yamaha's.

totl receivers can sound very good. My experience in particular with a Sony da5 es da4 Es. Also with Denon avr 4802 and rotel rsx1067. Not to mention a beautiful old pioneer elite #iforget.........if I only knew this 15 years ago......

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Actual 5.1 recorded music? Or stereo music played on a 5.1 system? Pardon my ignorance.
Actually, a very good question. I listen to 5.1 sound both with actual 5.1 recorded music, SACD, DVD-A, dts-CD, Dolby Digital, Blu-ray and 2.0 channel recordings played back through Dolby Pro-Logic II, dts or Circle Surround decoders. One of the nice things about having such capability is that I can also choose to play back in 2.0 or 2.1 as well as the surround sound formats. So, depending on the source, I can choose what works best for any given musical selection. I also have my main system, which is MONO.

Actually, a very good question. I listen to 5.1 sound both with actual 5.1 recorded music, SACD, DVD-A, dts-CD, Dolby Digital, Blu-ray and 2.0 channel recordings played back through Dolby Pro-Logic II, dts or Circle Surround decoders. One of the nice things about having such capability is that I can also choose to play back in 2.0 or 2.1 as well as the surround sound formats. So, depending on the source, I can choose what works best for any given musical selection. I also have my main system, which is MONO.
Wow, one extreme to the other!!:D

I have a NEC 700E that I occasionally bring out of storage, It weighs about 35 pounds, has 70 wpc front and rear, and had a list price of just under $900 in 1988, I wish I had a use for it, Not the best looking receiver but it sounds very nice for an AVR.

Back
Top Bottom