High End Separates.....

The treatment in the back of the equipment is also very smart! Nice way to hide cables and wires. Very, very nice system. :yes:

Very nice thread and beautiful gear :thmbsp:

My main system is a WOPL500SS, Perreaux SA3, dbx DX5 CDP, Pioneer PL-550 and CV E-712's. A mix of stuff that makes me smile every time I put the gas to it

I was not familiar with the WOPL amps before becoming an AK member. Very interesting.

I had a 700B (stock) back in 1977. MASSIVE power reserves.

Now I think 9 watts of SET power is cool. ;)

It's an Onix SP-3. It's quite nice. I dropped in some GE-5751 black plates in place of the Chinese 12AX7 when I got it.. The previous owner had switched out all the other tubes to NOS ones in place of the Chinese... Sounds really nice. I like it.

Sure looks nice! I'll bet it sounds just as nice. :) :yes:

1 piece I have that I consider high end but not high buck is my Dennis Had Inspire amp. It made sweet music with the L3 but was to underpowered for most of my speakers. Tube rollers dream but needs efficient speakers, sounded really good with 6bg6a tubes
R0001889.JPG

I sure would like to try some of that ARC equipment one day :)

I would love to try one of the Inspire amps on my Lowthers or OBs.

I have to make an appearance here and sgliech asked for some dual mono amp pics. I don't know if that means a single amp with dual mono design or two mono amps. I'm not going to worry about it and just post a pic of my two Luxman MB-3045 mono amplifiers.

attachment.php

Let's not stop there. We need a preamp. Here is one, the Crown DL-2, one fancy piece of gear. This one has an extremely clean sound to it. I have others with a larger sound stage but on MG-IIIa speakers that sound stage can make a piano seem 10 feet wide according to mdfoy.

attachment.php

That thing with the DL-2 is either the Power Supply for it (and the phono preamps that are for the DL-2) or the OC-150a a metering amp and speaker switching box.

Last edited:
This was the system I had set up (for some time) when I joined AK:

Micro-Seiki RX-1500, ET II arm, Denon 103, Quicksilver and Denon Transformers
Bogen B62 (Lenco L70), Shure V15 with .7 conical stylus
Audio Research SP3 (Modified)
Quicksilver 300B SET monoblocks
Lowther PM2a speakers/Medallion enclosures

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then I changed the Quicksilver 300B SET/Lowther combo to these amp/speaker combinations:

Mac 30 mono-blocks driving Klipsch LaScala speakers

OR

Quicksilver EL-34 amps (original 8417 amps modified by Mike Sanders to take EL-34, 5881, 6550, KT-88 tubes) driving JBL 4430 speakers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Finally, thanks to Poultrygeist, I caught Open Baffle Fever and had a pair of JELabs-based OBs with University 6201 drivers. I have my CazTech SE845 SETs on them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So that's where my systems are as-of today. Now in the process of having another pair of OBs built with 2 - 15" Eminence Alpha woofers and 1 - 8" Tang Band W*-1808 per side. I also have my Quad ESL57s queued up with the local tech to get them tuned up and will pair them in my second room (getting it ready now :) ) with my new (to me) Marantz 7C and 8B.

I will also be redoing my racking system for both the front end and the amps.

I can't wait to get the new projects completed!

Last edited:
One more change. I have the Quicksilver Phono Preamp and dual mono Line Stage Preamps hooked up in place of the ARC SP3.

attachment.php

Attachments

• quicksilver line.JPG
    quicksilver line.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Nice Lenco TubeHiFiNut!.. Your pics are so small though, can you upload them on here?

Nice Lenco TubeHiFiNut!.. Your pics are so small though, can you upload them on here?

Not sure why they posted so small. I'll see if I can fix that.

Edit: Pictures fixed. Operator malfunction strikes again. ;) :)

Last edited:
A few from the collection I just happened to take a pic of several months ago (sorry for the grainy pic)....

Up front are a pair of Threshold s/300's, each have been modded with higher value output caps, upgraded rectifier and bypass caps.

In between the Thresholds is a Tube Audio Design TAD-60. This can also be used as an integrated and has adjustment for output and global feedback. It can use a variety of tubes and is pictured here with KT-88's. It can be switched to ultralinear or triode operation and can also be biased down to a class A single ended triode (not a true SET, but friggin' sweet sounding just the same!). I love this amp. So much so I added a second one to the collection.

On the bottom of the rack is a Phase Linear 700B which is currently out for White Oak mods.

Above that is a Tube Audio Design TAD-150 tube pre and it can run 12AU/AX and AT7's tubes.

Above that is a Rega DAC which has been sent to another owner (and replaced with a Schiit Gungnir).

And to the left of that a Hafler 110 which has been given a host of upgrades (just in the rig at the time of the pic to do some testing in mono).

And sitting atop the Hafler is the best SS preamp I've ever owned, the Acurus RL11 which has had the board practically gutted and repopulated with better bits and had the power supply upgraded and moved to an outboard device....all performed by AK's resident Acurus/Aragon guru Mondialfan.

attachment.php

Attachments

• separates.jpg
    separates.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I am way too lazy to provide pictures, plus my room is being put back together since I just moved into a new space (so, pix will follow in the future) but my gear is a combination of vintage and not-so-vintage.... starts with a pair of Infinity RS1-B speakers, with the mid/high towers ribbons completely replaced by Graz. I use the woofer towers as partial low mid-range and then cross them over to a pair of Rythmik subwoofers using a Rane crossover.

Pre-amp is an Audio Research LS 15. I am using a Krell KSA 250 amp (great amp, but so HEAVY) to run the mid/high towers, and a Bryston 2B amp, which goes back to the early days of Bryston 2B's, on the woofers. Subs have their own amps powering them.

TT is a VPI HW-19MK4, with a Trans-Fi air bearing arm, Koetsu cartridge, Moon PSX 5.3 stage and a VPI SDS.

I am using an Olive music server (which is being replaced by a server I am putting together myself so I don't have to rely on Olive's own hard drive) and an Audio Research DAC8.

Did I say a mix of old and new, or what??

A few from the collection I just happened to take a pic of several months ago (sorry for the grainy pic)....

Up front are a pair of Threshold s/300's, each have been modded with higher value output caps, upgraded rectifier and bypass caps.

In between the Thresholds is a Tube Audio Design TAD-60. This can also be used as an integrated and has adjustment for output and global feedback. It can use a variety of tubes and is pictured here with KT-88's. It can be switched to ultralinear or triode operation and can also be biased down to a class A single ended triode (not a true SET, but friggin' sweet sounding just the same!). I love this amp. So much so I added a second one to the collection.

On the bottom of the rack is a Phase Linear 700B which is currently out for White Oak mods.

Above that is a Tube Audio Design TAD-150 tube pre and it can run 12AU/AX and AT7's tubes.

Above that is a Rega DAC which has been sent to another owner (and replaced with a Schiit Gungnir).

And to the left of that a Hafler 110 which has been given a host of upgrades (just in the rig at the time of the pic to do some testing in mono).

And sitting atop the Hafler is the best SS preamp I've ever owned, the Acurus RL11 which has had the board practically gutted and repopulated with better bits and had the power supply upgraded and moved to an outboard device....all performed by AK's resident Acurus/Aragon guru Mondialfan.

Outstanding gear. :thmbsp:

What speakers do you have the amps matched to?

I am way too lazy to provide pictures, plus my room is being put back together since I just moved into a new space (so, pix will follow in the future) but my gear is a combination of vintage and not-so-vintage.... starts with a pair of Infinity RS1-B speakers, with the mid/high towers ribbons completely replaced by Graz. I use the woofer towers as partial low mid-range and then cross them over to a pair of Rythmik subwoofers using a Rane crossover.

Pre-amp is an Audio Research LS 15. I am using a Krell KSA 250 amp (great amp, but so HEAVY) to run the mid/high towers, and a Bryston 2B amp, which goes back to the early days of Bryston 2B's, on the woofers. Subs have their own amps powering them.

TT is a VPI HW-19MK4, with a Trans-Fi air bearing arm, Koetsu cartridge, Moon PSX 5.3 stage and a VPI SDS.

I am using an Olive music server (which is being replaced by a server I am putting together myself so I don't have to rely on Olive's own hard drive) and an Audio Research DAC8.

Did I say a mix of old and new, or what??

From your description, this has got to be a great sounding system. :)

Now we get to hound you for pics. ;)

Outstanding gear. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the compliment!

What speakers do you have the amps matched to?

I'm not sure what I was using at the time of that pic (it was actually taken a few years ago rather than just several months) and I have several in the collection but the main players are ADS 1290/ii, Infinity QLS-1, Magnepan MG-IIIa, Acoustat Spectra 22, JBL L250, Altec 19, Energy Veritas 2.2, and some other perhaps less noteworthy "vintage darlings" (Dynaco 25 KLH 23, etc) that occasionally get rotated in just for kicks when I acquire new electronics...oh, and a few DIY OB projects.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment!

I'm not sure what I was using at the time of that pic (it was actually taken a few years ago rather than just several months) and I have several in the collection but the main players are ADS 1290/ii, Infinity QLS-1, Magnepan MG-IIIa, Acoustat Spectra 22, JBL L250, Altec 19, Energy Veritas 2.2, and some other perhaps less noteworthy "vintage darlings" (Dynaco 25 KLH 23, etc) that occasionally get rotated in just for kicks when I acquire new electronics...oh, and a few DIY OB projects.

Great speaker rotation..... :yes:

And the OB projects keep multiplying - in a good way, of course. ;)

Back
Top Bottom