High End Separates.....

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by TubeHiFiNut, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

Just reading a few posts but I would love to try tri-amping. It would just seem wierd doing it with 500+wpc amps even though that means nothing since the preamp controls overall volume. Would the amps driving the tweeters and mids have to have a lower gain setting since you are essentially bypassing the speaker crossovers and running the drivers independently? I would be a bit concerned feeding them the same gain as the woofers

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

I am not so sure you'd be running the speakers without their internal crossovers--it depends on the speaker brand and model. If the individual drivers when bi- or tri-amped do not go through a crossover inside the speaker, then you would need to provide an external electronic crossover between your preamp and your power amps to prevent damage to the drivers.

ev13wt likes this.
  3. Northwinds

Thanks, I wondered about that (jumping binding posts off the crossover points) or direct to the drivers. I have a lot to learn before I attempt it

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

No problem! Bass frequencies into a midrange or tweeter could be fatal to the driver. That's mainly what I'd be worried about before trying anything.

5. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Try bi-amping a full range driver on top of a woofer. Both can handle line amplification (no cross-over). Use y-splitter for the signal before the amps.

6. Northwinds

Sam, I just have 3-way Vega's and was looking into doing the extra binding posts at a later time when I can afford to do them right. I was not sure about how to jump off the crossovers to each set though. I am a dummy when it comes to that stuff but a fair hand as a carpenter

7. gregswaim

gregswaim Neutral Organic Sound

Here's my digital playback setup: McIntosh MC2102 amplifier, Conrad-Johnson Classic preamp, Stax Headphones(vacuum tube preamp), Magnum Dynalab MD90t FM tube analog tuner, McIntosh MCD500CD/SACD player, and Spendor 8Se speakers.

Attached Files:

royzilla likes this.
  8. gregswaim

Very nice! That's a lot stuff that you have there. I bet that it sounds great! :)

-Greg

9. gregswaim

My integrated amplifier, tape deck, and speakers, that are part of my analog playback setup:

McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier

ReVox B77 MKII 2 track open reel tape deck

Linn Majik 109 loudspeakers

Attached Files:

10. Gary Mattis

Gary Mattis Active Member

Class A tube , is my only reply ! , It cannot sound any better at any price ! Just louder !

frahengeo likes this.