High End System Building on a Budget

My system is right there [10k]. My amp was purchased in 2001 and while you would be hard pressed to replace it with a comparable piece for what I paid [wholesale] you might be able to find it used [though I don't recall ever seeing that model listed]. My line conditioner was acquired far below retail. I've only seen it listed used once and the current model from Shunyata are going to cost you much more. Cables and power cords include nothing over $300 though the power cords from BMI are now listed at 10X what I paid. Emission Labs tubes will set you back $600 and the NOS Mullard rectifier another $100-200. The Sonatinas can be found used for about 1/3 retail but the current model will set you back 6k.

Transition to non-physical media System [2001-2017]

index.php

Silverline Sonatina MK I
index.php

Moth Audio s45 [custom] SET
index.php

Shunyata Research Hydra
index.php

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet
index.php

Schiit Audio Modi multibit
index.php

iFi SPDIF iPurifier jitter filter/reclocker
index.php

Chromecast Audio

Last edited:
Better bronze the scroeboard, I guess.

But wait - we haven't heard from Audio Fan yet...

I think the intention of this thread is to determine what high end components could be put together repeatedly based on current average pricing (new or vintage). The system I recently purchased is definitely a "one off" scenario, but it confirms that such systems are out there if one were lucky enough to run across them under the right circumstances. That is not a confirmation that it meets the expenditure threshold of this thread though. :rolleyes:

I will have to go with what I know, sorta..
Okay a turn key system, no DYI , or used..
( no disrespect to any DYI, or Used market ) just don't have the experience to comment on those..

My system: $7350
Apple TV to $200
OPPO 205 to. $1300
ODYSSEY Candela (pre) to Stratos extreme ++(amp) to $3250. (Combo deal)
TEKTON. Seas Pendragon's and Cinema 18" sub $2600 ($500 off)

That leaves me with around $2650 to work with..
I would upgrade the Source (OPPO) and the End (Pendragon's)..

Apple TV to. $200. (Upgrade to Aurender much later)
(Upgrade))) MODWRIGHT UPGRADED OPPO 205 to. $3800
ODYSSEY Candela (pre) to Stratos extreme ++(amp) to $3250. (Combo deal)
(Upgrade))) TEKTON. ELECTRONS $2750 (+$300 for upgrades)
Total : $10,300
Upgrade Cables later ($1000 for the Loom)
Get subs later ($1000) if needed

Last edited:
An update since my last post was 2015. How time flies! And I have found a couple of "dream" components. My current system is under $10k but once I replace the speakers, it will probably blow the lid off. All except the turntable and cartridge were bought used.

C-J preamp was $1100.
C-J power amp $1400.
Oppo 105 was $900 as a demo unit (looked like brand new!).
Phono stage was $500-ish.
Turntable: $2200.
Dynavector cart: $1100.
Vandersteens: $300/pair.
PS Audio Dectet: $300

This does not include cabling. I only have one really good power cord (a PS Audio), and am looking to upgrade the rest, along with the home brew interconnects I mentioned earlier.

That only leaves $2500 for speakers when I boot the Vandys. I haven't yet refurbished my Martin Logans and kind of don't want to bother with the project anymore, so I am looking at some of their better, more recent X-Stat-based models. And that will probably kick it past the $10k barrier unless I find some crazy deal out there. There was a pair of ML Spires locally, but with two trips planned this past summer, I had to put money aside for travel. I have been meaning to ask the seller if they were unsold, as the listing expired with no sale, and the price was $800 lower than other listings on Audiogon. Persistents pays off in our bargain hunting here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom