High End System For the Elderly

Lets face it as we get older large system with heavy components taking up a large amount of floor space isn't going to cut it. All the while we are accustomed to a quality level in build, sonics and aesthetics. Every time I move a 125-150 mac amp and swap out a set of 125lb speakers and even a 60lb turntable I cringe. I don't really want to do it and I'm capable and still young enough at 53.

Some of us might be heading in haveing some physical problems sooner than later if not already. Walking might start becomming a problem and space for a wheel chair or your hands are not free with a cane. Some might need to move out of a house and into a smaller dwelling.

With what's avalibal today, what can we build that's not to tinny in power and speakers. A good match in power and eficency of speakers will go a long ways here. That will need no service and have convenience of remotes, looks cool, built at a high level in separates or intergrates, easily available. All the while room filling dynamic SQ with the components not weighing more than 40-50 lb each on the high side, and keeping the foot print in the room to a minimum.

Criteria
Turntable Capable built in or stand alone stage
Didital Capable

I don't know what will be available for me in about eight years or so from now (I'm 52 now), that I can build a Quality System on that will allow me to maintain (or improve) the sound quality I am used to now, while keeping the weight of the component lighter and the component count to a minimum.

But for certain, I am going to go for a High Quality Stand Monitor Speaker System with Stands which are similar or superior in quality to the ones that I have now, and then power them with a Integrated Amplifier that is similar in quality to the Speakers which I am considering (I like the ultimate in performance that I can only get from a Separate Preamplifier and Power Amplifier, but when I reach that magic age of 60 or older, I am going to want something that is similar (or superior) in performance and sound quality to what I have now, but it will have to be in one box as opposed of having two to deal with (as well as dealing with the added expense of another pair of Interconnects to link them together)), and then go with a Turntable (again of superior quality) and a Computer. Nothing else would be necessary at that point and stage in my life. That then, will be a System that will take me well into my final years, if God is willing and is able to allow that to happen.

If I were doing this system today, it would look something like this:

Speaker System: Wharfedale Jade-3 (Three-Way System) -- $1,500.00 (in Rosewood)

Speaker Stands: Wharfedale Jade-3 Speaker Stands -- $600.00

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650 -- $500.00

Integrated Amplifier: Cambridge Audio CXA80 (Dual-Mono Design; Dual 24-Bit/192-kHz DACs; Balanced Inputs; Digital Inputs; 80 Watts Per Channel into 8 Ohms (120 Watts Per Channel into 4 Ohms)) -- $1,100.00

Phono Stage: PS Audio GCPH -- Already Own (see Signature Below)

Turntable: VPI Scout Jr -- $1,500.00 (Self Contained Belt-Drive Manual Turntable; Arm Included)

Phono Cartridge: Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III -- Already Own (see Signature Below)

Computer: Toshiba Satellite E45-B4106 -- $650.00 (14" Screen; MS Windows 8.1; Lighted Keyboard; 1 TB Hard Drive; Harman/Kardon Sound; Silver Finish)

I/C's: AudioQuest, Cardas Audio, or Nordost -- $200.00/Pair (Two Pairs)

S/C's: AudioQuest, Cardas Audio, or Nordost -- $500.00/Pair (Bi-Wired)

D/C: AudioQuest, Cardas Audio, or Nordost -- $200.00

P/C: Pangea Audio -- $150.00

System Total: About $7,100.00 + Computer Cloud Network & Network Service (About $60.00 to $70.00/Yr.)

--Charles--

Last edited:
I don't know what will be available for me in about eight years or so from now (I'm 52 now), that I can build a Quality System on that will allow me to maintain (or improve) the sound quality I am used to now, while keeping the weight of the component lighter and to the component count to a minimum.

But for certain, I am going to go for a High Quality Stand Monitor Speaker System with Stands which are similar or superior in quality to the ones that I have now, and then power them with a Integrated Amplifier that is similar in quality to the Speakers which I am considering (I like the ultimate in performance that I can only get from a Separate Preamplifier and Power Amplifier, but when I reach that magic age of 60 or older, I am going to want something that is similar (or superior) in performance and sound quality to what I have now, but it will have to be in one box as opposed of having two to deal with (as well as dealing with the added expense of another pair of Interconnects to link them together), and then go with a Turntable (again of superior quality) and a Computer. Nothing else would be necessary at that point and stage in my life.

If I were doing this system today, it would look something like this:

Speaker System: Wharfedale Jade-3 (Three-Way Speaker System) -- $1,500.00 (in Rosewood)

Speaker Stands: Wharfedale Jade-3 Stands -- $600.00

Integrated Amplifier: Cambridge Audio CXA80 (Dual-Mono Design; Dual 24-Bit/192-kHz DACs; Balanced Inputs; Digital Inputs; 80 Watts Per Channel into 8 Ohms (120 Watts Per Channel into 4 Ohms)) -- $1,100.00

Turntable: VPI Scout Jr -- $1,500.00 (Self Contained Belt-Drive Manual Turntable; Arm Included)

Phono Cartridge: Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III -- Already Own (see Signature Below)

Computer: Toshiba Satellite E45-B4106 -- $650.00 (14' Screen; MS Windows 8.1; Lighted Keyboard; 1 TB Hard Drive; Harman/Kardon Sound; Silver Finish)

P/C: Pagna Audio -- $150.00

System Total: About $6,600.00 + Computer Cloud Network & Network Service (About $60.00 to $70.00/Yr.)

--Charles--

Good post Charles and that's the kind of thinking we need.

I know some of my gear would just transfer to a lighter smaller system. It's mostly the speakers amps, preamps that need to slim down.

Steve I needed the MC2300 like a hole in my head.

However it was Papa John's

IMG_2417_zpso6m3uzss.jpg

Hokey smokes. Does THAT bring back memories. Papa John played at my Undergrad College (1980 ish). He opened for "Pure Prairie League"

Haven't thought about him since then. Thanks for the memories.

Nice Macs by the way.

This is one component I have been thinking of getting for a bedroom system that will work here as well. I just don't know a lot about newer speakers to match with it.

The McIntosh MHA100

By the way this is RonC a member here and it lets you see how small this unit is.

CES2014_McIntosh.jpg

a907c3748c35ae8aa2be2778f1c04b19.jpg

mcintosh_mha100_headphone_amplifier_3.jpg

Even though it's being push and was designed as a headphone amp, it's a 50 Watt intergrate, built in DAC with Digital & Analog inputs and speaker outputs.

A smaller set of speakers, a stand alone stage, Turntable, Computer and some headphones should make a very nice small system.

DIMENSIONS (W X H X D)
11-1/2"(29.2cm) x 5-9/16" (14.1cm) x 18" (45.7cm)

WEIGHT
26.5 lbs (12 kg)

So then, where do you plug in a Source Component??

--Charles--

OR

If I move into a Retirement Home, and I am not allowed to have a proper Hi-Fi System in my Living Quarters, then I would have something like this then:

Speaker System: Pro Ac Tablette (Two-Way Stand Monitors)(For McIntosh MHA-100) -- $2,200.00 (Rosewood)

Speaker Stands: Sanus Steel Foundations Mark IV (26"; Sand Filled) -- $150.00

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650 -- $500.00

Headphone Amplifier: Oppo Digital HA-1 -- $1,200.00 (with Built-In 32-Bit/384 kHz DAC's; and Balanced Inputs & Outputs); OR McIntosh MHA100 (with Built-In 32-Bit/192 kHz DACS; Balanced Inputs; and 50 Watts Per Channel) -- $4,500.00

Turntable: VPI Scout Jr. -- $1,500.00 (Self Contained Belt-Drive Manual Turntable; Arm Included)

Phono Cartridge: Sumiko Blue Point Special -- Already Own (see Signature Below)

Computer: Toshiba Satellite E45-B4106 -- $650.00 (14" Screen; MS Windows 8.1; Lighted Keyboard; 1 TB Hard Drive; Harman/Kardon Sound; Silver Finish)

P/C: Pangea Audio -- $150.00

System Total(s): Oppo System -- $4,600.00; McIntosh System -- $10,750.00 + Computer Cloud Network & Network Service (About $60.00 to $70.00/Yr.)(Either System)

--Charles--

Last edited:
As much as I admire the McIntosh and Parasound, it would boil down to the cost of said components.

Here's something to think about. Some of us who reaching retirement, we are also considering downsizing. As much as I love my audio system, I'm not sure I will be able to move this stuff around. With that said, there is one component I have had my eye since last year. Since we are discussing small size, let me introduce you to the Tec NP-H750

Front

Rear

The NP-H750 is a USB DAC/Network Audio Player/Integrated Amplifier. This unit puts out 40wpc, dimensions are 290 (W) x 113 (H) x 340 (D)mm and weight is 5.4kg, two auxiliary connects, phono stage, and a headphone jack.

If we downsize, the room will be smaller, and 40 wpc will be powerful enough to handle small rooms. This one is high on my want list. I would like to know the price of the Mac and Parasound.

Well, I took my own advice and ordered the Teac NP-H750. It should be here one day next week. I found one that had the lowest price I had ever seen and I couldn't pass it up. Nothing like saving money in the process. This will be the perfect size wherever we move to, and with the Focal 806V speakers, they are the perfect size combination. Add my three turntables and I am pretty well set. Eventually I will add a newer power conditioner and interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords, the retirement system will be done.

That's a nice looking piece of equipment. Interesting to see the wildly varying pricing on Amazon for that one!

Well, I'm only a kid at 65 and I currently listen to great music with the assistance of Magneplanar 1.7's, a Conrad Johnson MF 2300A or a Jolida 502P tube amp, a Mapletree tube preamp and a couple of turntables ( Rega P3 and Lenco L75) but if I had to significantly downsize and be concerned about weight and had impaired mobility I would use a Creek 4330 amp (10 lb) , Magneplanar MMG's also very light and a very small sub. And for a source, my laptop and I think I would have a good 75-% of the sound I currently have.

+1 for MMGs, perhaps with a Rogue or other small integrated. But really, not dropping vinyl makes it hopeless, size/weight-wise. Hopefully I'll never move again, and can enjoy what I have.

I've had two back surgeries with number three looming on my horizon. I have six 100 lb. speakers and three 50 plus pound amps that I can think of. I've never once considered the weight of any of my gear. While I appreciate my lighter weight stuff, the day I don't consider buying something based on it's weight is the day I find a new hobby. Knitting anyone?

cubdog

I'm with you cubdog. Fight to the end!

Not to discourage those who are wanting to downsize, but I'm still looking to upsize (And I'm 50). I like big amps, big speaks, and lots of components. Quantity but with quality. I can lift more now than I did when I was 20, but not sure how the back will hold up in 10 more years! Good thing I have grandsons to help down the road.

The Teac will arrive sometime tomorrow. Looking forward to connecting to my system and see how well it performs. It also has a phono pre that I'm interested in trying out as well.

Benchmark DAC2 + Benchmark amplifier + computer of choice + Totem Dreamcatchers...nothing heavy in this crowd:thmbsp:

Ill be hauling my 2-channel main rig to my deathbed.Im 6'2 250 and shrinking ,strengths holding up at 57 but I do have longevity in the family so with my dad still mobile at 86 im hopeing for many more senior yrs...
We have already downsized once when the kids left home and I sold off tons of good chit.I suppose having 2 big stapping sons will work well with the fisher mono amps cause their being handed down and don't plan on changing gear evar
ps...ive bought enough nos American made tubes to last till my 100th b-day .
hunter

Last edited:
And here's a GREAT Retirement Home High-End Audio Solution right here.

Minimizes the component count and footprint.

Low cost too.

High Quality Speakers are self-contained too. And they eliminate the usual receiver/amp stack.

All you need are a pair of stands, a pair of headphones, a phono stage, a turntable and a computer (speakers have DAC's built-in too), and you're on your way.

Speaker System: Adam A3X Active Speaker System -- $400.00 Plus Shipping

Speaker Stands -- Pangea LS200 -- $70.00 Plus Shipping From Audio Advisor (24" High)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-598 -- $250.00

Laptop Computer: Toshiba Satellite E45-B4106 -- $650.00 (14" Screen; MS Windows 8.1 or 10.1; Lighted Keyboard; 1 TB Hard Drive; Harman/Kardon Sound; Silver Finish)

Phono Stage: Cambridge Audio 551P -- $140.00 Plus Shipping From Audio Advisor

Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM-3 w/Sumiko Pearl Phono Cartridge -- $750.00 Plus Shipping From Audio Advisor (in Black)

Interconnect -- AudioQuest, Cardas Audio, or Nordost -- $100.00/Pair (Two Pairs Needed)

Digital Cable -- AudioQuest, Cardas Audio, or Nordost -- $100.00

Power Cord -- Pangea Audio -- $100.00 (or Less)(Two or Three Cords)

System Total: About $2,660.00 + Local Computer Cloud Network (Separate Cost) & Network Cloud Service (About $60.00 to 70.00/Yr.)

Link To Website For Information Concerning Speaker System -- http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a3x/downloads

--Charles--

Last edited:
Who moves a system around once it's set up? Get it in place and "forgettaboutit"! And don't forget the big three in the gym: Bench, Squat, Deadlift, and do some pull ups and sit-ups. Ought to keep you in shape till close to the end. My father was still bobbing around in his mid-eighties. Started every morning with two or three hundred sit-ups, etc. Cubdog has the right idea and I know he's older than most of you boys!

Back
Top Bottom