High End System For the Elderly

When that time comes, I'm only keeping a lap top for music, my two small tube amps (pp 6BQ5s) And a set of E-waved NLAs...and be buried in my 4430s

Well I kinda just let this thread go because there was so many comments that just didn't get it. Some people here think you feel the same, have the same physical abilities, and live with the same space requirements till one day you just die or go to a home to die. Oh and the fact most of us are normal having huge systems and storing tons of extra stuff we don't even use or need, it's not normal.

I ended up taking care of my mom for many years in her house and was able to keep her there till we did Hospice and she died. A house needs care and maintenance and a lot of things as one gets older they just can't do. Some people at this time decide to sell there home and buy smaller, condos, move into an elderly community and live where there is no building maintenance and less rooms to clean. However your also giving up living and storage space, walls are thinner with others living on the other side of it.

Regardless where you live, space in the home starts to get changed to accommodate an elderlies needs. Mobility equipment breathing and sleeping equipment all starts to take up space. Pathways might need to be clear for walkers and wheel chairs, bathrooms and entrances could need modification.

This is also not necessarily short term, you can live many many years like this and it ain't easy getting old. However what my mom showed me and what I see in myself is our mind stays young, our mind doesn't change for the most part. Thirty years ago feel like yesterday, we hold on to the same things that bring us enjoyment.

I have always had a hobby going on in my life, one of the first was stamp collecting when I was 8-10 years old my Mom helped me with. I sill have it, however ten years ago was going to sell it to someone. At the time I was gutting and building Classic cars and doing all that heavy work myself, producing top shelf cars. I had the stamp collection on the kitchen table and and my mom looked at me, "what are you doing with that" she said. I'm going to sell it to someone that collects stamps, she then said, "Dan you have always had a hobby, do you really expect to be working on Jalopies the rest of you life?" "Old men do hobbies like stamp and coin collecting, fly tying, something easy like that". LOL I ended up putting the stamp collection back in the boxes and stored it away again, truthfully she was right and looked at things from an elderly perspective.

So the point of the thread was to think about the music you enjoy and always will. However to look at that enjoyment with plans for future changes to ones life, especially if your in your mid 50s-60s. Obviously if you have a big house owned free and clear, totally finically secure no matter what happens to you. Everything may just stay the same in your house and you'll have room for your elderly needs and to care for the home.
But life has a way to force changes, if you need a nurse and a lot of in home care for years you just might need to pair down and do what's needed at that time.

I don't mind being a slight burden to my children once in a while as I age, a little bit of work for them as I age is less than all the work I did to get them where they are now.:thumbsup:

Plus we need an excuse once and a while to get your children to come over so you can visit with them. I remember when I was young my great grandmother would call my mom quite often and ask her what the weather was like where we were, she only lived 5 miles away. She didn't want to seem like she was calling for no reason. I will make sure I have a good reason.

I tie flies, build fly rods and fish for winter steelhead. I also surf, rock climb, mountain bike, dive, swim, run and stuff.

Next time I'm back on Maui I'm doing this.

I'll be 60 next year. I don't need a hi-end system, I need more adventure.

Back
Top Bottom