High End Turntables

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by 4-2-7, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

I have some Hashimoto step-ups on my radar, but won't get those until the phono stage comes up for sale. I wanted an all-in-one phono stage so I could avoid more clutter (shelves, interconnects, more "boxes" to hide, etc.) but yeah, I really don't think any MC-capable phono stage out there can get things as quiet as I'd like, especially since my two MCs are very low output (ART7, and XX2 Mk. II). At least the phono stage will match the rest of my system when I'm done. ;) (And won't have an annoying blue LED in it either!)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TimF

TimF Super Member

Annoying blue led’s, I hear you on that one. I am half tempted to change all mine out, I tend to just like green ones for on, maybe red for warmup or mute. Have to say though, the blue ones on my gear aren’t those freaking laser pointer blinding types, somewhat subdued, thank God!

3. Legrace

Legrace Active Member

Wanted to step up my game, below is the final result. All the main components were procured separately; starting with a vintage Denon DP80 drive. Next issue was deciding on a plinth. I knew I wanted to be able to eventually migrate to a 12” arm. This meant the plinth had to offer adequate real estate. Solution came in the form of a Denon DK110 solid wood constrained layer style plinth I located on a Japanese site. To get a feel for the size check out the thumbnail pic showing it sitting next to my Dual.

One thing I had to address was the fact that the armboard was already drilled for a shorter arm. I filled in the arm hole by gluing in a piece of wooden dowel along with some filler, then sanded the surface flush, finishing things off by resurfacing the top face in a contrasting wood finish. I also replaced the original boring armboard hold down screws with threaded rod that I topped off with brass finger nuts. Just because I like how they look!

For a 12” arm I was originally planning on one of the new Jelco’s. But fortune intervened, around the same time a 12” Reed 3P hybrid unipivot arm popped up on a local audio mart; there’s a no brainer! Completing the setup is a reissue Kiseki Purpleheart NS cartridge. Pleased at how it all turned out.

DP80_1.JPG denon&dual.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Archguy, enginedr, mprince and 4 others like this.
  4. Wildcat

My C-J preamp uses amber (orange?) LEDs, and they are nice and subtle while still being highly visible. Yet everything else? The phono stage, an HDMI switcher, the Epson printer/scanner, the computer monitor, and the power light on my computer (which flashes in sleep mode) all have a blue glow, and some of these are bright enough to cast shadows in the room at night when all the other lights are out.

5. Wildcat

Nice rig! :thumbsup:

Are those M-125 monoblocks on your rack? I'm curious if you made the wood end caps for those, as the big turnoff of Latino's amps for me was how unappealing they look. The wood at least makes them look more finished.

6. Legrace

Legrace Active Member

Yes M125's. And yes those are simple wooden end caps I fabricated from walnut pieces. Love the amps now, but in the beginning as a neophyte tube amp owner little did I appreciate the grief tube ownership can entail, without benefit of prior experience.

7. Wildcat

The only tubes I had prior to my Premier 11 was a little TubeCube|7 toy I picked up for my desktop system. I have to say that both have been problem-free, but I also did not build them. The Premier 11 needs biasing when the power tubes are replaced, but that's a simple task. I had considered building a pair of M-125s at one point, though. They are very nice for the money! I'm glad you are enjoying them!

8. Legrace

Legrace Active Member

I am enjoying them now, not so much in the beginning. Was going through tubes, and esp fuses, like chicklets. Also nasty red plate events which are just plain scary, the amps get so hot. I was at a loss. Got lots of advice, none of it particularly helpful. Simple issue really. Turns out 115v is not necessarily 115v. At times can run a lot higher, esp in the summer, bad news for tube amps. Like yeah anybody into tubes knows to check their line voltage, umm not everybody!

Now I have a bucker transformer in line which drops my supply voltage and red plates are totally a thing of the past and tubes last like they are supposed to. What I learned is tube amps are not plug and play like solid state. And they also dont like to be hot cycled so I as well have a fault interrupter in line now, etc etc. But they are nice once you get on to the subtleties.

Apologies for the threadjack, lets get back to nice tables!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Wildcat likes this.
  9. TimF

TimF Super Member

CA1A3120-60E4-4318-9ED0-89391A4A740E.jpeg C098655B-7E05-4CE5-8010-2C91B3D136C2.jpeg Finally got my phono stage for my Holbo air-bearing turntable, a tubed Croft Acoustics Micro 25 pre-phono. Am utilizing it as a phono stage only right now, sounding quite good! I still have some minor tweaking yet to do on cartridge set up.

Archguy, Art K., 4-2-7 and 3 others like this.
  10. jackelsson

jackelsson New Member

IMG_6276_TW-Acustic-Black-Night_1200px_web.jpg
    TW-Acustic Black Night
    SME 312S - van den Hul Colibri Signature
    TW-Acustic 10.5 - Benz Micro LP-S
    Origin Live Enterprise C 12" - Ortofon MC Anna
    TW-Acustic 10.5 - Lyra Titan i & Lyra Atlas
    DIY air suspension platform

11. TimF

TimF Super Member

^^^ One can never have too many arms! I like it!

12. AvFan

AvFan AK Subscriber Subscriber

That TT certainly qualifies for this thread! Can you tell us more about your air suspension platform?

13. the_nines

the_nines AK Subscriber Subscriber

Upgraded my Clearaudio Champion, previously posted on page 4 (post #75).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Platter, bearing, tonearm riser and motor riser.

Archguy, Art K., frankbooth and 3 others like this.
  14. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Very nice Nines. Has your Champion got the magnetic repulsion platter and bearing?

15. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Yamaha GT 2000 with 40 pound optional platter and Dynavector tonearm.

[​IMG]

Archguy, enginedr, 4-2-7 and 4 others like this.
  16. stoN_Cold

stoN_Cold Super Member

Nice. :rockon:

17. the_nines

Thanks Theo, and yes, it does.

18. the_nines

Beauty!

19. frankbooth

frankbooth AK Subscriber Subscriber

0638237A-30E1-402A-886E-F2E4857C4AF7.jpeg 8783A49D-632E-409C-9FD8-6101E21C4BAA.jpeg 04E7F73D-55BE-474A-99AF-393240FC4B4F.jpeg A355982D-EF56-4399-B226-41300DA15FED.jpeg Not quite “high end” but a stout performer. Immediately bettered my Scout with the same cart.
    Acoustic Signature Primus, I went for an upgrade to the TA-700 arm. My dealer gave me a nice price on this so I couldn’t refuse. I had spent some time researching tables in the $2-3k price range. Hearing this table fitted with a 2M red was an eye opener. My dealer does AS, Brinkman, Rega, and Pro-ject and they are really high on this “budget” table.
    Spinning today and I’m really happy. So much more dynamic than my last table.
    Going to run this cart for a few months then pull the trigger on something new. Dynavector 20X2L or maybe a Quintet Bronze. We’ll see.

TimF and Archguy like this.
  20. TimF

TimF Super Member

frankb- "Not quite high end"...pfffft, that is a mighty fine table there! I had been eyeing some of the AS line prior to buying my Holbo. Good stuff you got going on there! Enjoy!

frankbooth likes this.