High End Turntables

Have you tried pulling the L70 out of the stock plinth and use some robust tip toes or large speaker cones/spikes inverted. The tips of the inverted cones fit in where you unscrew and remove the threaded rods that hold the table in the existing plinth.

Doesn't look too good but it usually improves the sound. :)

Thanks, and thanks to 427 for the kind words. I'm not even listening to this until it's done. I've my denon that is very nice and will enjoy that (not reference but still very good) until this project is complete. I plugged it in and was unimpressed with the sound, it did rumble some. And generally was a far cry away from good. I know it will sound very good eventually, or at least I'm led to believe that from its many supporters. I have a nice line on a motor refurb and a custom plinth thanks to Mr Pig.

I won't take up any more space on this thread until this project is complete. Quite excited for a new project though :thmbsp:

Thanks, and thanks to 427 for the kind words. I'm not even listening to this until it's done. I've my denon that is very nice and will enjoy that (not reference but still very good) until this project is complete. I plugged it in and was unimpressed with the sound, it did rumble some. And generally was a far cry away from good. I know it will sound very good eventually, or at least I'm led to believe that from its many supporters. I have a nice line on a motor refurb and a custom plinth thanks to Mr Pig.

I won't take up any more space on this thread until this project is complete. Quite excited for a new project though :thmbsp:

Oh don't say that!! I what this thread to show case nice tables but I also want a discussion as to how the tables came about. We learn from each other and by seeing aplication that get the juices going in our heads as to what we can do. It might be a arm or a cartridge you see in this thread that changes your game plan and makes your table something very special.

Oh don't say that!! I what this thread to show case nice tables but I also want a discussion as to how the tables came about. We learn from each other and by seeing aplication that get the juices going in our heads as to what we can do. It might be a arm or a cartridge you see in this thread that changes your game plan and makes your table something very special.

:thmbsp:

In that case I'll post a couple of pics in here while i rebuild:D

matteos it looks like we'll be treated to a transformation, go for it. That's what this threads about, it's the member that are really trying to step up in the vinyl playback sceam of things. When your tables are starting to hit this level you tend not to drag home every consumer good thats out there.:thmbsp:

Of course....... and remember Cartridge Cartridge Cartridge is what will make any table step up in quality.

Case in point...This Focus One cost me $350 without arm I bought a 3009 for it and used a Shure V15 II on it. Then I got my first SOTA table 309 arm, Blackbird cart.

But I love the Mitchell deck so buy putting a Sumiko cart on it really stepped up the game and you would not know you were hearing it or the SOTA.

IMG_1691_zps7c2c4441.jpg

How about stepping it up a bit more with a SME 309 arm...

IMG_2208_zpsig55aalm.jpg

IMG_2204_zpsv05poazt.jpg

Hey 427,
Do you use a SOTA Head amp in conjunction with a normal outboard moving coil stage (Musical Surroundings Phonomena?)
What is cost on one?

Hey 427,
Do you use a SOTA Head amp in conjunction with a normal outboard moving coil stage (Musical Surroundings Phonomena?)
What is cost on one?

No

What I do is HO sumiko's SOTA phono head amp to my McIntosh C100 preamp. The c100 has an awesome stage with a solid silver wound transformer. This pre was a no holds barred unit that would be hard to beat with a stand alone stage.

No

What I do is HO sumiko's SOTA phono head amp to my McIntosh C100 preamp. The c100 has an awesome stage with a solid silver wound transformer. This pre was a no holds barred unit that would be hard to beat with a stand alone stage.
So the SOTA replaces a phono stage and its just a line level signal coming out it?

Acquired during the past year. This VPI HW-19 was treated to a series of upgrades by its original owner as each upgrade was introduced. I guess it's now a MKIV: Stand-Alone Motor Assembly, heavy lead-filled super platter, stainless steel deck, JMW-10 tonearm. The SDS power supply (not pictured) makes a huge difference in noise floor, detail and even tonality of instruments. Acoustic pianos sounds amazing. Once the platter is up to speed, voltage is dropped to 72 volts. I still can't get over how little record surface noise comes through this rig.

I'm running a Grado Platinum Reference 1, so plenty of room for cart upgrades. But that's all I could manage when I got the table.

The VPI feeds a Rega Elex-R, which in turn powers a pair of recapped KEF 103.2.

Attachments

• VPI sm.jpg
    VPI sm.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
A head amp has no RIAA equalization it just boost the signal of the cartridge prior to a stage.

Gotcha, thanks.

Just wrote a FANTASTIC Subway joke about Jared for a comic friend if mine.......probably too dark to share here. After the Muslim Stoner joke I learned my lesson:D

That's the spirit!

My L70 sounds pretty good stock.....but I am running pretty good cartridges: Shure V15 (Type I) with 0.7 conical stylus or a Denon DL103.

I might try my wood bodied Grado Platinum..... :scratch2:

Install a great cartridge and get it out of the stock base (or bolt it to the base, no springs) - things should sound much better.

If your motor is really tired and needs to be rebuilt, though, it is best to wait.

And, my Garrard 401 with SME M2-12R tonearm, presently sporting a Clearaudio Aurum Classic cart. Plinth designed and built by yours truly, multi-layered birch ply covered in a maple burl veneer, sanded and rubbed by hand, 15 coats of lacquer finish.

It's truly my pride and joy:

33977230188_04f6c37b24_b.jpg

46938244905_c2d92b140c_b.jpg

I now have my sights on making a plinth for my TD124, which I will be happy to post in here once the project has been completed.

Last edited:
attachment.php

My main table is a Galibier Adio Serac with a 12" String Theory Arm and ZYX 4D cartridge. It is a nice table, but I am not fond of the black finish. I have a raw base in my closet, and I am going to have it veneered in a cool exotic wood sometime soon. This table has the new motor and controller upgrade from Thom Mackris, and it is significant step forward from what the table was originally offered with.

And the ZYX 4D. It is a pretty decent cartridge.

attachment.php

Regards
Mister Pig

attachment.php

Then I have a Thorens TD 124 that I refurbished and added a few newer parts to. Has an Eminent Technology II tone arm on it, and I use a Transfiguration Spirit MK III cartridge on it.

attachment.php

Not the best pictures I am afraid. One day I will have to retake them. Actually the focus is to sell this house in the next couple of years and move. Who knows what the stereo will turn out like then.....

Regards
Mister Pig

Pig you always have the most unique tables and I never know what to say about them but they are beautiful. What a life in Pig Topia:thmbsp:

Acquired during the past year. This VPI HW-19 was treated to a series of upgrades by its original owner as each upgrade was introduced. I guess it's now a MKIV: Stand-Alone Motor Assembly, heavy lead-filled super platter, stainless steel deck, JMW-10 tonearm. The SDS power supply (not pictured) makes a huge difference in noise floor, detail and even tonality of instruments. Acoustic pianos sounds amazing. Once the platter is up to speed, voltage is dropped to 72 volts. I still can't get over how little record surface noise comes through this rig.

I'm running a Grado Platinum Reference 1, so plenty of room for cart upgrades. But that's all I could manage when I got the table.

The VPI feeds a Rega Elex-R, which in turn powers a pair of recapped KEF 103.2.

attachment.php

That's an outstanding table you have writethis and you guy's are driving me crazy with those JMW arms.

Cool thread 4-2-7. :thmbsp:

My Clearaudio Champion Limited with Unify tonearm, sporting a Benz Ref3 cartridge.

IMG_3892_zpsi8itpoqm.jpg

IMG_3891_zps7nlcmdzf.jpg

And, my Garrard 401 with SME M2-12R tonearm, presently sporting a Clearaudio Aurum Classic cart. Plinth designed and built by yours truly, multi-layered birch ply covered in a maple burl veneer, sanded and rubbed by hand, 15 coats of lacquer finish.

It's truly my pride and joy:

IMG_3591_zps78d5debd.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsc7fba2d1.jpg

I now have my sights on making a plinth for my TD124, which I will be happy to post in here once the project has been completed.

These decks are gorgeous nine's, thanks for showing and helping the thread. And anyone interested can go view nine's thread on the plinth buid he did for the Garrard 401 http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=634197 :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom