High End Turntables

Thanks! Thinking of swapping the arms and cartridges on the ClearAudio to Jelco 750D/Dynavector 17D2mr and Graham Robin/AudioTechnica AT33Mono Limited Edition. Thoughts?
Regards,
Jim

attachment.php

Isn't that what you have on it now?

No the Jelco sports the AT, and the Graham sports the Dynavector.
Regards,
Jim

No the Jelco sports the AT, and the Graham sports the Dynavector.
Regards,
Jim

This is why my tables are all setup the same and have the same sound....I don't have to think. :D

I still tend to gravatate to the same table for whatever little idiosyncrasy I think it has.

The best I could tell you is put the cart you like best on your favorite arm in the main location.

I find arms are really important to me, they have to feel right and function easily, resting and cueing them. Kind of like the cockpit of a car, you see the dash, and you want to feel comfortable there. Tires, rims, paint job, badging you can's really see while your using it....just the dash. :thmbsp:

I want to try it because I can with no expense. Arm/Cartridge match is paramount in performance of any table. IMHO
Regards,
Jim

It's not, no. It has a belt which turns a sub platter. The sub platter has lines on its bottom which are read optically, so the turntable can read the actual speed of the platter and compensate. Part of the great technology under the hood.

Wow, that's cool! I have idler, belt and direct drive tts, so that kind of stuff doesn't bother me, just curious.

thanks for the kind comments, all three tables are special in their own way and each has a unique sound, but the 301 seems to be my go to most of the time.

Last edited:
Yes, nice tables.

I was happy to be hosted by ehoove last week on my way to beach week and let me tell you those turntable, especially the Thorens units look way better in person. The 125/Birdseye maple with a maple armboard is very nice. I like the Magnepan arm and have a couple myself. Jim has really upgraded his TTs over the few years we have been talking and I think he has got something now. He told me his Clear Audio with mods is a very nice step up from the finely tuned Thorens tables he has. This is the reason it is in the main rig flying solo (well will two tonearms). Very nice Jim. Now if I could only get my two Thorens tables to look that nice and perform as well. I've got some work to do.

no you don't qualify but we are happy you posted that machine for us to see.

That is the most massive armboard I have ever seen. Is it fixed or movable? I ask because it appears there is some softness between the plinth and the first layer of the armboard.

Unless you are using a flip needle I'm sure that unit could not be duplicated for anything near the entrance fee on this collection of record players. Thanks for posting.

mfrench, if we assumed your time worth $75/hr then you certainly qualify! Tell us more about that gorgeous table!

no you don't qualify but we are happy you posted that machine for us to see.

That is the most massive armboard I have ever seen. Is it fixed or movable? I ask because it appears there is some softness between the plinth and the first layer of the armboard.

Unless you are using a flip needle I'm sure that unit could not be duplicated for anything near the entrance fee on this collection of record players. Thanks for posting.

Its moveable. What you see is a layer of leather.
the main plinth weighs somewhere around 125lbs +-
The armboard weighs around 40lbs
By my calculations, the entire package comes in around 185lbs
Uhmmmm, nobody is going to be able to steal this thing, without a crew.

I made the armboard, as a separate, so that it can be taken off, and the deck moved.
the leather was there, as i'd read about people making off-plinth arm pods; people suggesting that isolated is better, etc.
I spent lot of time building this deck, finish it, fire it up, and I get a rumble that i never heard it make prior to building the plinth.
Devastated.
Why was it doing this?
I tore it apart, re-relubed everything, readjusted everything, made sure that all of the moving parts were fine, assemble it again; rumble. Oh Accckkk!!!
This went on for a couple of weeks, and i was just beyond disappointed.

Then I started going back to elemental recording knowledge that I had learned the hard way; about the fundamentals of phase cancellations, and phasing anomalies. And I started wondering if having a separate armboard was such a good thing.
My thought was that the cartridge was picking up on a vibration, a new and unique impulse source, and it was amplifying it.
Phase cancellation suggests that shared common impulses affect each other in various ways; one being canceling out common impulses.
could it be that the arm was picking up a new impulse that was coming from the plinth, and amplifying it?

I finally thought to take that leather slip out, put soapstone to soapstone without the slip sheet.
I put the needle to groove; rumble eliminated.

Now the arm and plinth were sharing the same impulse being "solidly" connected, and, what I'm assuming is phase cancellation of rumble, that went into perfect alignment, and canceled. No more rumble; and never again a stand alone armboard. That thin piece of leather made a tremendous negative impact.

Last edited:
early iteration, with matching soapstone DIY 12” tonearm -- The Soapstone sTonearm:
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0254JPG.jpg

Its present set up;
IMG_1080JPG.jpg

And a hint of whats under the hood. Wanna race?
Hint: Its not exactly a 1955 record player anymore. This one might qualify for this thread.
IMG_0179JPG.jpg

And here they are together, crushing the life out of their library table.
Thats nearly 400lbs of tt on that table. Good thing its stout. Notice how they're mostly centered over a large leg of the table?
We utilize the crush the life out of resonance and vibration by pure mass loading technique.

DSCN0655_zps5b2bae9d.jpg

DSCN0657_zpsaa0b3ed4.jpg

1963 Bogen-Presto B51_heavy-platter-mod, on soapstone, build (right deck):
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=377588

1955 Presto T18_DC-mod A driveline redesign hot-rod, on soapstone, build (left deck):
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=380100

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom