High End Turntables

Actually never been there, was there one for sale? I just checked the site and couldn't find one. I would be interested in any info such as selling prices etc
Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, my Garrard 401 with SME M2-12R tonearm, presently sporting a Clearaudio Aurum Classic cart. Plinth designed and built by yours truly, multi-layered birch ply covered in a maple burl veneer, sanded and rubbed by hand, 15 coats of lacquer finish.

It's truly my pride and joy:

IMG_3591_zps78d5debd.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsc7fba2d1.jpg

I now have my sights on making a plinth for my TD124, which I will be happy to post in here once the project has been completed.

I've been left mesmerized. :eek:

Here is my set up

Brinkmann La Grange with 12.1 arm and RonT tube supply + Lyra Helikon

Oracle Mk V with SME V and Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum + Turbo Supply

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0071Bev.JPG
    IMG_0071Bev.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 192
My Thorens TD 124 with solid soapstone plinth trimmed with birds eye maple, Jelco 750 arm and Ortofon Quintet Bronze, sitting on Mapleshade isolation block,
Ed

[Image removed]

There is another soapstone plinth out there? (I know there are; just a rarity)
Yay!
Did you do this?

never mind the Micro Seiki, isn't that the famous Trio tt on top of the stack of Trio amps ? wow

Cheers!.. And yep,it's the Trio L-07D with Ortofon Rohmann LOMC cart and Arche VTA headshell. IMHO,DD's just don't get any better :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Owning a high quality turntable is a journey. The better that the turntable can scale the heights, the more that the journey involves the evolution of one's ability to tease-out the utmost from the quality foundation afforded by great capability. Cartridge choice can usually be moved up a few rungs of the quality ladder. Cartridge fettle is much more rewarding but for the same reason much more exacting. There is much less room for error without paying a price. This should be expected shouldn't it?

The residence of a great turntable sporting a well set up cartridge puts the owner in the box seat to now make much more critical assessments of what lies downstream of the front end. The obvious first stop is the best phono stage one can obtain(whether that be diy, second-hand or new). A quality turntable with a well mounted quality cartridge really does need a certain level of phono stage or only a fraction of the preceding absolute quality gets to go on display.

This is the bedrock of a great turntable system. With care, luck and superlative electronics and speakers to round out the package, one gets to hear records in a manner and at a level that few would believe possible. Well worth the time and effort.

Owning a high quality turntable is a journey. The better that the turntable can scale the heights, the more that the journey involves the evolution of one's ability to tease-out the utmost from the quality foundation afforded by great capability. Cartridge choice can usually be moved up a few rungs of the quality ladder. Cartridge fettle is much more rewarding but for the same reason much more exacting. There is much less room for error without paying a price. This should be expected shouldn't it?

The residence of a great turntable sporting a well set up cartridge puts the owner in the box seat to now make much more critical assessments of what lies downstream of the front end. The obvious first stop is the best phono stage one can obtain(whether that be diy, second-hand or new). A quality turntable with a well mounted quality cartridge really does need a certain level of phono stage or only a fraction of the preceding absolute quality gets to go on display.

This is the bedrock of a great turntable system. With care, luck and superlative electronics and speakers to round out the package, one gets to hear records in a manner and at a level that few would believe possible. Well worth the time and effort.

Theo, Thanks for showing up and posting in my thread. Great post and your right as really cartridge and staging is paramount to life like quality sound from vinyl playback. But we can't forget a near perfect peice of medium and as many of them we can find. Once I got my front end sounding really good, I have put my main focus in the records I get.

Micro Seiki DDX-1000 (complete) with a couple of nice arms.

I remember first seeing one of those at a hi-fi show here in the early 80s (if not that model, then a similar one with the three arm pods). That is the first and only direct drive I've seen where the strobe was perfectly still. (I'm cursed in that I can hear those "pulses" on DD turntables--I have a Denon that is decent, and a beater Realistic Lab 400 that, from the day it was brand new, was always a wretched excuse for DD the way it pulses.) I wanted one of those Micro Seikis for a while, but ended up going a different direction. Who know? Maybe in the future the temptation will strike again. Always liked those!

With care, luck and superlative electronics and speakers to round out the package, one gets to hear records in a manner and at a level that few would believe possible. Well worth the time and effort.

Reminds me of this:

"Dang! That's a lot of money for a record player!"

"Yeah, but its not a bad price for a time machine."

And here's my current time portal - SOTA Star with an SME 309.

IMG_20151024_194738.jpg

I can't imagine having a nicer experience than operating the Ovation. Everything about it feels perfect and capable. It feels like a platform at its peak, and striving for more is just asking for fussiness.

I should have gone with a Clearaudio. Mine does sound excellent (I preferred the sound over the VPI), but it has some strange engineering going on, and has a few issues. Thing is, the deal I got on the TT, new in the crate, couldn't be beat, as it allowed me to splurge a little on the cartridge. Despite its flaws, it is still the best I've ever heard vinyl in my home.

The Clearaudio Performance DC with the Verify arm would probably have just fit into my price range at the time. Definitely a very nice looking rig!

Back
Top Bottom