Highest value caps in a 9090?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by steveUK, Mar 18, 2017.

1. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

What are the highest value main smoothing capacitors that you can safely install into a Sansui 9090 that will fit into the existing clamps? They're 6,700uF as stock - surely the trannie and rectifiers will handle higher than that?

2. tnsilver

tnsilver Super Member

I went 10,000uF with Nichicon KG gold tunes for a 9090 and 12,000uF with KG super throughs for a 9090DB.

3. tnsilver

tnsilver Super Member

Oh... None fit in the original clamps. I had to replace the clamps on the 9090 (easy) and drill new mount holes in the chassis. The 9090DB required a whole new type of rearrangement and a new cross member section to install the huge "coke can" caps over the equalizer PCB. Member naderpe (Peter) sent me a design for this new section.

4. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

Ok thanks. Mine's a 9090, not 9090DB.

5. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

The 9090 and 9090DB use the same rectifier diodes and power switch. Transistors aren't an issue. I routinely use 15,000uf, 80 or 100v snap in caps. I haven't done one in awhile and I think Panasonic has discontinued the TSA/H line so you may have to find another supplier. They are a smaller diameter so you will have to change or modify the clamps. They fit nicely in the 8080DB. If you have a vise and a hacksaw, it's not hard to cut a section out of the old clamp and make it fit. The bigger issue is the height/length of the cap. There's no room for a taller cap.

Can you post the serial number for the database?

- Pete

6. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

Thanks guys. When I fit a capacitor of a slimmer diameter than the original, I generally simply wrap the new cap with insulation tape to the required diameter. But otherwise, electrically, 15,000uF is ok yeah?

7. LBPete

Yes.

- Pete

8. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

9. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Up to you, you run the risk when buying from there that the capacitors could be old, (shelf life expired?). Can capacitor choices have been evaporating at an alarming rate - so you may be forced to buy from such sources.

You may have to alter your expectations regarding capacitor upgrade, to fit a lower value, that conforms to your diameter and height requirements.

10. LBPete

I would be very hesitant to buy "no name" caps from ebay. You just don't know what you will get. There must be legitimate electronics parts suppliers in the UK. If not, the major US suppliers like Mouser and Digikey ship world wide. Here's a link to what Mouser has in stock. 15,000 uf/80v. I didn't check the physical size but many of these should work with minor modifications

- Pete

11. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

Thanks Pete, I agree about buying big caps on Ebay. I've been looking at what Digikey sell in the UK. There's loads to choose from between 10,000 and 15,000uf, and 80 and 100V, but what are these so called 'four lead' capacitors? Surely a single cap in one can needs just two leads? Are the extra leads simply dupes to allow easier wiring when multiple wires need to be connected? Anyway, here's some that I found rated at 15,000uF, 80V, 40mm dia, 82mm height (just enough room) - in other words, just the job, but I'm unsure about the four leads bit!

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-d...nics-cde/382LX153M080N082/338-2110-ND/2295340

12. LBPete

Larger "snap in" caps often have extra legs as stabilizers. They are basically additional anchors to take the mechanical load off the active leads. Just clip them off. You won't need them if you are using a clamp. You should be able to buy clamps with the correct diameters for those caps.

- Pete

13. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

Thanks Pete, I thought that was the case. The caps are 40mm diameter, the same as the existing ones, so no need for new clamps...?

14. steveUK

steveUK Active Member

I have bought a couple of Cornell Dubilier Caps from Digi-key. They're 15,000uF, 80V, 40mm diameter, 80mm can length. 36 GBP including shipping for the pair. Perfect for the job, and they will drop in nicely.

Attached Files:

15. LBPete

You can use small crimp on eyelets over the cap's pins as solder lugs. Crimp them tightly and solder them on to be sure.

- Pete