History of Stereo in Buffalo (as I remember it)

scamwb

I see there are a few Audiophiles from the Buffalo area. I will write about the history of audio in Buffalo as I remember it. My first stereo came from Purchase (aka poor choice) Audio. I remember when our Miracord 50H record changer was delivered it had dust on it which I thought was odd it was odder still when it stuck halfway across the record. Our family quickly came to the conclusion they gave us the store demo and charged us for a new one. After a call to the store and some threats they brought us a new one in a sealed carton which worked for awhile and succumbed to the same malady so we gave up on it and exchanged it for an AR turntable (which is probably worth a fortune these days) anyway on to the history. There were 2 places to buy stereo in Buffalo in those days both downtown on Main Street. Purchase Stereo which was a franchise of Lafayette Radio in NYC and the was FM Sound which was where the good stuff was: McIntosh, Marantz, etc. They were really snooty there but it was where the high end was. I bought my first McIntosh there a C-26 solid state preamp which looked great but sounded tinny like many first generation transistor components did. The next generation of stores was Transcendental Audio owned by Robert Minnick on Walden Ave near Harlem it moved to Niagara Falls Blvd they had really good gear and I remember the creator of Krell Dan D'Agostino worked. I bought a lot of things there. There was Stereo Emporium on Delaware Avenue owned by Jerry Bennett and Mike Ortolani. There was another store downtown in the Elmwood Area that sold Ohm speakers (those upside down Walsh ones) which is all I remember about them. There was (and still is) the Speaker Shop on Kensington Avenue then Bailey Avenue now on Main Street near the University Plaza owned by Ed Sullivan (one of the nicest people I have ever met in the audio world). There was Stereo Advantage which advertised non stop in the paper and moved from a small store to a huge one where D&E motors (Mercury Dealer) was. There were more into TV's than Audio but they had a giant store with free lifetime service. They were big into Sony, Yamaha,Polk and other consumer names (not really into high end audio) they are still in business but more into non stereo now and in a much smaller store across the street. There is still the Stereo Chamber in Orchard Park NY owned by former FM alumnus Gerry Aroneseno. I haven't been there for at least 25 years but according to the web it's still there. Of course we have Best Buy but I wouldn't go there for any audio based on my previous experiences with them. I recall a funny story maybe 25 years ago I was at one of the defunct high end stereo stores and a customer called and a asked if they carried JVC and the salesman (who was very funny) replied "does that mean Junk Very Cheap" which at the time I thought was hysterical. I could probably go on but I will save that for future posts.

Last edited:
I've bought gear from Transcendental, Stereo Emporium, Stereo Plus (did you forget them? Three locations!), Stereo Advantage, Stereo Chamber, the Speaker Shop and yes, even the Radio Shack that used to be in the Great Arrow Plaza on Delaware. Wasn't the place on Elmwood a Tech HiFi? Sadly, only the Speaker Shop and Stereo Chamber remain (S.C. just barely). Advantage doesn't deserve to be called an audio equipment store any more. Wasn't there another place (whose name escapes me) that opened for about 5 minutes on the corner of Union and Seneca in West Seneca? Maybe 20 or 25 years ago?

Edit: Damn, I almost forgot! I got a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers from Radio Equipment Corp. on Vulcan Ave.

Last edited:
Anchor Bar is one of the first stops for out of towners, The original chicken wings!

Buffalo history, you forgot Radio Equipment/ Audio center on Sheridan Dr. AC was the
JBL, Marantz, Harman Kardon, Rotel and Dual dealer. Worked there 4 years when I was in college. Still regret not buying the L300's when I had the chance! Poor college student.

Must give big plug for Stereo Chamber, Jerry is still business, MacIntosh is still king, great sound room, good supply of used equipment, and Wayne the best Tech in the area,
he can fix, restore and repair anything. He just rebuilt a Tandberg 3300 for a friend.
Jerry also has some used vinyl and phono accessories.

Anchor Bar

Anchor Bar is where the chicken wing started in 1964 as the story goes. Some people wanted something to eat and all that they had were chicken wings which were usually thrown away. The owners mom fried them up with some hot sauce and served them with Blue cheese dressing and celery and the rest is history. I have been there once or twice with out of town guests but the neighborhood is not the safest. They have been surpassed by Duff's where the President (Obama 2010)

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?catid=37&storyid=76864

went on his recent visit to Buffalo it could have been because Duff's is in the suburbs and a much safer area or its close to the airport where Airforce One touches down. I have had both and in my opinion Duff's are better.

yo scamwb.. welcome.. puffin the briar readin yo post did bring back some memories from yrs ago.. thx

Hbar

Very interesting story! For a "young 'un" (near 30, at least), and not a native of Buffalo, it's really cool to hear about the history of the scene here. Welcome!

And hello to the other Buffalo AK'ers!

I remember on spur of the moment going to visit Transcendental Audio. I didn't even know If I'd find it living some 250 miles east of the Buffalo area. I remember finally locating the place. I think they might have been closed for the day but someone, (maybe the owner) was there and let me in. I also remember walking around a gray Ferrari in the driveway! The person who let me in was very polite and funny, and demoed some of the equipment for me. It was a worthwhile visit!

I remember on spur of the moment going to visit Transcendental Audio. I didn't even know If I'd find it living some 250 miles east of the Buffalo area. I remember finally locating the place. I think they might have been closed for the day but someone, (maybe the owner) was there and let me in. I also remember walking around a gray Ferrari in the driveway! The person who let me in was very polite and funny, and demoed some of the equipment for me. It was a worthwhile visit!

Transcendental Audio

The owner was Robert Minnick and he was very personable and funny. The Ferrari may have been there for an audio system or it may have been his. I bought a lot of equipment from them. 2 pairs of Magnapans, Crown and Phase Linear amps, assorted Radford electronics, Sinclair integrated, Dayton Wright Electrostatics XG-8 (I even met the designer and owner), Threshold 400A, Micro seiki Turntable, Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference plus the smaller version, Citation 15 Tuner and 11 Preamp. I am sure there was more but this is all I can remember.

anyone seen this before or know what it is?
did he do ads for stereo emporium or something?
igyxz4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom