History of the MP3

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
Most people can't tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a CD? Oh come on ... how can that be? .... Psychoacoustics ... study of the way humans perceive sound.
Who came up with the MP3 anyway and why?

How much do we really know about MP3 ... even though we encounter it every day.

These questions and more are answered in the following Podcast ... an interview with the "Father of MP3" (note: he does not like being called that ... the Frankenstein syndrome?) ... the German electrical engineer and mathematician. ... Karlheinz Brandenburg.

Long ... 1 hour & 36 minutes.

The narrator starts by reading this backround article (<<< click link) ... and then begins the interview afterwards ... at about the 40 minute mark.

Last edited:
If you find the subject interesting (like me) ... the first part of the book HOW MUSIC GOT FREE by Stephen Witt ... covers the subject in greater detail ... including parts less known in the public arena (inside baseball).

41hEtVz2SyL._AC_US160_.jpg

What amazed me was that the concept or idea of a Spotify type system was being discussed in 1982! ... good grief!. :yikes:

I liked the first 1/3 of Witt's book which covers the history of the MP3 and to the best of my knowledge is just not covered that well by other sources.

Good many years ago ... I use to literally hate the MP3 ... why can't I do better in double blind tests? ... until I studied it and now understand it.

It's just easy to hate what you don't understand ... been that way throughout history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom