Hitachi Speakers?

matt001

Ak member
I know Hitachi wasn't known for speakers, but I was in Salvation Army the other day (one of my buddies works there) and there was a pair of Hitachi speakers sitting there. So I go up to them and they are EXTREMLY well made. Since this was before they were closing, he let me unscrew the woofers and look inside. These are built like tanks :yes: (12" cast frame woofers,dome tweeters, real wood cabs, Big beefy corssover, Lots of insulation) These are in very good shape (rubber surrounds on the woofers are good and the cabs are in good shape) So should I go for them, there asking $15.99

:)

(btw there was no info on them, other then Hitachi, and they weighed about 50 pounds each

For the price of lunch they would've been sitting in my workshop in a heart beat!

Reactions: tgk
Some of the Hitachis are very interesting. Metal woofer cones long before they were common (don't know what they did about the resonances, but that is part of why they are interesting) and a very complex but theoretically better folded accordian pleat surround that married the flexibility of the roll surround with the control of the flat pleated surround. Tell us what and how they are.

I got a pair of hitachis off a friend for 15$ as well, they have an 8" woofer and a 3" mid/tweeter, they only take 40watts rms but seem to have a pretty high spl and sound pretty good, they tend to favor older rock music to anything else.

ARG!! I went back there, and the surrounds were poked out (probably some little kid) and the tweeters were pushed in and the cone was kicked in and rubs :no: someone vandalized these IN THE THRIFT STORE!

Hitachispeakers.jpg

Too bad about the speakers you may have missed out on a decent pair of speakers there.I have a set of Toshibas which from my knowledge weren't that common.A two way with 15' woofers rated at only 60wpc.They are very decent speakers with alot of bass when you want it.From my experience you can't wait too long for something when in doubt.Either someone will snatch them up or what happened to you.It's a gamble.They may be a very good find or something you may want or have to flip.I have been on both ends.

ARG!! I went back there, and the surrounds were poked out (probably some little kid) and the tweeters were pushed in and the cone was kicked in and rubs :no: someone vandalized these IN THE THRIFT STORE!

At least they didn't steal the knobs from the tweeter/mid controls. :(

Mark: did that ad have an illustration of the gathered edge suspension -- its very interesting, and I would guess almost impossible to explain without diagrams. Being a dope, I'll try anyway. Essentially the way it works is that the pleating is not concentric with the cone, but perpendicular to it (or more accurately, to a tangent). The surround itself consists of three planes (though they are pleated, of course), two sides and a bottom. The pleating allows relative motion of both sides while the bottom changes its angle. It allows free motion in and out while tightly controlling it sideways. I imagine it was a nightmare to make and apply.

I will check the brochure, Nat. I think so.
Kind of a corrugated or herringbone sort of deal, as I recall. Zigzag stitching comes to mind (?)

It's a rainy, hi-fi day in MA!!!

Man, that's a bummer and a shame. Matt, you mean to say these Hitachis used a 12" woofer and only a tweeter?

Hey folks. I realise that this is an old thread, but I'm hoping that someone can help me find some information. I picked up a set of Hitachi HS-705's, rated at 70wpc, from a local store for $20 on the weekend. The surrounds on the 12" woofers were shot, but the mids and tweeters seem to be in good shape. The cases aren't too bad, but do have some scuffs and scratches on the tops. I've ordered the new (rubber) surrounds from SpeakerWorks in Oregon along with new grill fabric. I haven't been able to find any information on them, not even a photo.
I have no idea whether or not I'm going to end up with something decent or not. It was a shot in the dark.

If anyone has any information on them and are willing to share it, I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Post some pics. My dad had a mostly Hitachi system and it was good. For $20 you prob get something decent.

Recent photos. I don't know the first thing about them, but they look to be in decent shape. I have no idea what they'll sound like after I re-foam the woofers.

Attachments

• P1040087.JPG
    P1040087.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 165
  • P1040086.JPG
    P1040086.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 130
  • P1040088.JPG
    P1040088.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 148
$20 is a steal, refoam them and let us know how they sound. Do the crossovers need work?

Back
Top Bottom