HK A500 tube amp review..

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
Just got this amp back from the tech and I debated whether to audition it or not because I was afraid I would love it. My worst fears have been realized. This amp is just very sweet sounding there's no two ways about it. It's ballsy for a tube amp ( 30 watts per) and can easily drive my Infinity bookshelfs to room filling volumes. I'm not ready to ditch the convenience of SS but I can understand better those who do.

She looks really nice,Mike,She'd prolly sound great with some of the old blues guys,Muddy,Lightnin' et al.(et al is my favorite)

Best Regards.
Alan

When are you going to put it on those horns you have been saving? I bet it is a nice amp Mike. Pretty cool getting it around your birthday too.

A500 was the first amplifier I ever owned. And I still have it although I haven't used it in decades. Maybe since around 1968. To tell the truth, I never really liked it and regretted not buying the Dynaco Stereo 70 and PAS 3X instead. When I moved to my new house three years ago, I unpacked it, connected it to a couple of speakers, turned it on, and much to my amazement, it still works. Perhaps it will sound better with more modern speakers. One thing I really didn't like about it was that I felt the high end wasn't very good. Used it with KLH 6s. They did much better with solid state amplifiers.

Back
Top Bottom