HK Citation 21 Preamp - no audio?

chapps

I got a HK 21 citation preamp which the owner says should work. However, I cannot get any audio out.

I have a phono connected to Phono1 of HK 21 and a RCA going from the 'output' posts to the amplifier. No audio.

If I have the RCA go out from the 'Tape 1" out of HK 21 to the receiver I get very low audio, and I have to turn the volume way, way up.

What gives? Is the preamp supposed to be paired only with a citation power amp?

Are my connections correct?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Need more information. What "amplifier" are you running the preamp into? What receiver are you using, and what inputs on the receiver are you plugging into? Have you tried another source, like a cd player, into the aux, or cd input of 21? Any output?

Try to be as specific as possible when providing information.

Thanks so much for replying !

Ok. I wanted to test all inputs etc. before replying. Well, compared to 'dead' yesterday, today there is some life. I kept fidgeting with the posts like hell, and trying all combinations. And voila! some audio as below: This was not there yesterday.

1a. I connect the CK21 preamp TAPE OUT to a Onkyo Integra at the PREAMP IN (not phono). I connect a turntable to PHONO of CK21. In this mode, there is audio - BUT the CK21 volume, tone etc. are defeated and do not do anything. But the preamp seems to be doing something?
1b. If I now move the CK21 preamp ouput to the actual OUTPUT posts, there is no audio. Only the TAPE OUT of the CK21 preamp outputs audio. Either of TAPE 1 or TAPE 2 outputs are OK.
2. With the CK 21 preamp TAPE OUT connected, the inputs like CD, Video, also output audio to the Onkyo. BUT EVEN WHEN THE PREAMP IS POWERED OFF !! That is whatever I connect to the CD/VIDEO inputs of the CK 21 preamp it does not need to be powered on, if the ouput is going out through TAPE OUT. Of course, the CK21 OUPUT actually gives no sound. Only, TAPE OUT.
3. When I move the CK21 preamp TAPE OUT to a another amp TAPE IN, there is also audio.
4. But the actual OUPUT on the preamp has no audio.

SO:
a. is the CK 21 preamp OUPUT connection bad?
b. Since I got audio after much fidgeting the posts, = cold solders? I have not opened the preamp up yet. Should I?

Thanks again.

What you haven't posted about is:

- Whether you have no audio in one or both channels? If both channels are out, there's something common to both. Do you have a mute relay that's not opening up, for instance.

- What are the positions of the Tape buttons? If they're engaged, they should not be. This will prevent any output of the Main Preamp outputs

- What are the position of any other processing Loop? Ditto above.

- What happens when you connect a set of patch cables to the AUX input and then touch the center pin of one of the RCA connector?

Note that you must have the Main Preamp Outputs connected to a power amp's input _or_ to a receiver's AUX input --> then on to a set of speakers to be able to tell if there's a problem or not. I'll assume you've got that in place prior to answering the questions above.

Cheers,

David

Hey David, Thanks for replying !

1. With TAPE OUT audio in both channels - nice and equal. With OUTPUT no audio on any channel. Nothing.

2. "- What are the positions of the Tape buttons? If they're engaged, they should not be. This will prevent any output of the Main Preamp outputs"
Well, with the TAPE OUT it does not care what button is engaged, except that PHONO is engaged. Why is this so? I do not have to engage any tape switches........but audio is output from TAPE OUT.
- With the preamp OUTPUT - all tape switches are disengaged - no audio.

3. "- What are the position of any other processing Loop? Ditto above."
Well I do not see any green lights for the switches - and I do not see any sitches depressed that are any kind of processing.

4. "- What happens when you connect a set of patch cables to the AUX input and then touch the center pin of one of the RCA connector? "
This preamp does not have an AUX.

"Note that you must have the Main Preamp Outputs connected to a power amp's input "
OK> I have a working power amp. Connecting the preamp OUTPUT to the power amp gives no audio. Connecting the TAPE OUT of preamp to power amp blasts the speakers - since the volume control on preamp is bypassed .

The TAPE OUT only passes what is fed in with no amplification except the phono preamp.

There is a relay that shorts the main outputs and opens that short after maybe 10-15 seconds. You should hear a slight click when the relay pulls. This also shorts the input to the headphone amp so there will be no output there either. This could be your problem.

The TAPE OUT only passes what is fed in with no amplification except the phono preamp.

There is a relay that shorts the main outputs and opens that short after maybe 10-15 seconds. You should hear a slight click when the relay pulls. This also shorts the input to the headphone amp so there will be no output there either. This could be your problem.

Hi Fred, Thanks for the great insight !!

I dont hear any click, so time to open it and check the relay.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom