HK T-60

MFTROOP

Hi All

I have the opportunity to purchase a Harmon Kardon T-60...the only issue is the disk stabilizer. The seller says the table has issues if you use it. Is the stabilizer that important? I have never put a weight on a record before!

Thanks!

Mike

Get the weight but you don't have to use it. Maybe there is a suspension issue that can be repaired to allow use of the weight.

They were designed to be used with the stabilizer weight when new. It is far from new now and could have issues with the suspension. Get the weight, they are hard to come by and silly money to get. The common issue this series of turntables have is speed, check It with quartz lock on and off both 33 & 45 rpm.

The suspension is designed to work with the weight. If the suspesion has sagged a bit causing the platter to hit, it can be adjusted. It is important, you should use the weight.
Manuals available at Vinyl Engine that show the adjustments

Jon

My guess would be the owner wants to keep the weight.

Unless price is so low as to be a no real brainier, I'd pass without the weight.

Barney

My guess would be the owner wants to keep the weight.

Unless price is so low as to be a no real brainier, I'd pass without the weight.

Barney

That's certainly possible, they often sell for $60-$75 on Ebay.

Get the weight or pass

Jon

the weight is included...the dust cover is a mess though....I can likely get the whole package for under $200!

$200 not unreasonable for a T60 without the weight; I sold mine for $300 and kept the weight (which I still use).

Nowhere in this discussion has anyone asked the central question: What issues? I think I'd want to know that.

It says there is platter rub when the stabilizer is used

It's likely the springs have sagged. As jnoyes said, that can be adjusted. Worst scenario, don't use the weight (and sell it separately!)

Dust cover may also be cleanable. I think I'd be all over that for the price (assuming all else is OK).

BY the way, I have never used a weight on a turntable. Why is this important??
It couples the record to the mat and platter mass, to damp platter resonances and reaction, as does an effective clamping system.

It couples the record to the mat and platter mass, to damp platter resonances and reaction, as does an effective clamping system.

And in the particular case of this HK series, the turntable was designed to be used with the weight, as opposed to the weight being an aftermarket accessory.

I am not a turntable expert, so I would have to go to a turntable repair guy...sounds like it could get expensive!

I'm in the Los Angeles area.

The seller will not budge...he wants $200...

Guess I'll have t keep using my wonderful Hitachi HT-1

lol

Back
Top Bottom