HK T-60

It says there is platter rub when the stabilizer is used

That's an easy fix, just adjust the suspension springs.

Some people here don't quite understand the importance of the weight on this turntable. Because it is suspended.on springs it is important to have that sub chassis balanced and spring loading equal. If you take the weigh off, the resonance of the springs changes and so does the balance between spring rates and loading. Do some research on suspended tables such as AR's, Thorens, Linn's to understand how all this works. You need to have the weight for optimum performance of the suspension.

The asking price of $200 is reasonable if it works properly and cosmetics are good. You can get a replacement dust cover for about $95 from JMK Displays. It's a $300 turntable with the new dust cover if all else is OK.

I've restored more than a dozen suspended HK's and several Kyocera's which are cousins to them. They can also be modiifed for improved perfomance.

This is my Kyocera Pl-701 that I absoluetly love. I wouldn't hesitate to put a $1000 cartridge on it.

HK t60 Kyocera 010.JPG

one of my restored HK's

HK t65c 008.JPG

Jon

The operating specification for the platter height is 4mm from the bottom of the platter to the table surface with the stabilizer weight installed on the spindle. It is to take some of the bounce out of the platter. There also is a specific hard platter matt that should be used.

Here's a link to vinylengine, register and have a look at the owners manual. At $200 if the issues are suspension adjustments and all else is ok, fair price. The stabilizer weight is worth $60-$80.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/harman-kardon/t60.shtml

The operating specification for the platter height is 4mm from the bottom of the platter to the table surface with the stabilizer weight installed on the spindle. It is to take some of the bounce out of the platter.

Sorry, but that's not what it does, or what it's for.

Jon

If you remove the platter you will see three sping adjustment screws. The chassis is suspended on three springs. The most difficult thing is to break loose the thread locker they use. The best way is to use heat to melt it. You can use a lighter or I use a plumbing torch. That allows you too loosen the lock nuts

Might have a more technical definition and additional purpose.

Yes, To couple the record to the platter and to balance the weight of the sub-chassis, which has a large weight hanging underneath it. That weight creates a lower COG.and lowers the spring resonance. It's all part of the suspension characteristics

Jon

For somebody like me who has NEVER repaired a turntable, this all might be a little more than I want to get into....

BTW, he has reduced the price to $175...am I being foolish to pass it up???

For somebody like me who has NEVER repaired a turntable, this all might be a little more than I want to get into....

I wouldn't call it foolish. It is a reasonably good price if it's in good condition, dust cover being what it is. I realize some people are not comfortable working on things like this, but adjusting the suspension height is fairly simple and we're here to help.

Jon

No not foolish at all.

If you are not tech savvy (like me) then having a table that needs work either relies on friends that know this stuff or you pay a tech (which is rarely, if ever, cheap) to do it.

....and a tech can bring the price of a table to crazy levels.

Now if it's your dream deck and you don't care what it costs you want it and will keep it for a long time....maybe forever then that's one thing. But if you are not sure that's the case maybe you educate yourself more and wait for whatever that table is to show up.

I have owned an HK T60c and it was a solid performer for sure.....but it's moved on.

Good luck with your decision....but make it knowing your skill set and financial situation.
No one else knows that better then you!!

Being cautious is not a bad thing.

It is a good price at this level, maybe time to be slightly adventurous. :naughty:

Here are some pictures that may help you decide.

This is what you see when you remove the platter. The platter simply lifts off with perhaps a bit of help if it's stuck (more on that if you go for it)misc 004.JPG .

These are the spring adjustments

misc 005.JPG

You have to loosen the nuts (which usually have thread lock on them). Put the platter back on and adjust each of the three screws so that a 5/32" drill bit will just slide under the edge of the platter on all sides. There are holes in the platter that allow access. Then remove the platter, hold the screw and turn down the lock nut. Platter back on, belt back on, Done!

Jon

Last edited:
That's an easy fix, just adjust the suspension springs.

Some people here don't quite understand the importance of the weight on this turntable. Because it is suspended.on springs it is important to have that sub chassis balanced and spring loading equal. If you take the weigh off, the resonance of the springs changes and so does the balance between spring rates and loading. Do some research on suspended tables such as AR's, Thorens, Linn's to understand how all this works. You need to have the weight for optimum performance of the suspension.

The asking price of $200 is reasonable if it works properly and cosmetics are good. You can get a replacement dust cover for about $95 from JMK Displays. It's a $300 turntable with the new dust cover if all else is OK.

I've restored more than a dozen suspended HK's and several Kyocera's which are cousins to them. They can also be modiifed for improved perfomance.

This is my Kyocera Pl-701 that I absoluetly love. I wouldn't hesitate to put a $1000 cartridge on it.

View attachment 1110236

one of my restored HK's

View attachment 1110238

Jon
I must say Jon you do wonderful work.

Another thing to consider is that this and many suspended chassis tables can be susceptible to footfalls and skipping if you have an unstable location for the table, hardwood floors or other things that would transmit or transfer vibration to the table. I liked mine but had to let it go for this reason, springy wood floors.

Here's a look at the Kyocera with the platter off. Basically the same as the HK. FYI, the platters of the Kyocera and T60, T65 HK's are identical and interchangeable

001.JPG 002.JPG

Another thing to consider is that this and many suspended chassis tables can be susceptible to footfalls and skipping if you have an unstable location for the table, hardwood floors or other things that would transmit or transfer vibration to the table. I liked mine but had to let it go for this reason, springy wood floors.

Yep, good point!

Wall shelf may be needed.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom