HK T-60

If it doesn't, wrap a little lead foil tape around the arm to increase its mass.

There were some mid/high compliant LOMC that play well withe the HK T-xx type of tone arms back when they first came out.

In today's market, there are still a fair number of high compliant lomc that does work well, mostly Audio Technica (in my experience). :)

I don't need to read up on anything.
Good for you. I won't need to explain why the following turntables and cartridges behaved the way they did.
Turntables I have owned:
Phillips AF 977: Recommended cartridge weight range:unknown
HK T45: recommended cartridge weight range:3-8 gms
HK T60: recommended cartridge weight range:2.5gm-8gms
HK T65C: recommended cartridge weight range:4.5gm-13gm (with accessory sub counterweight installed). Otherwise: 2.5gm-8gm

Cartridges I have owned:
Micro-Acoustics MA-2002: Mass: 4gm. Compliance: Described as "High". Recommended Tracing Force: 0.7-1.4 gm
Grado Signature 8: Mass:4.5 gm. Compliance: 20 cu. Recommended Tracking Force:1.5gm
Grado Statement Sonata1: Mass:7 gm, Compliance: 20cu. Recommended Tracking Force 1.5gm

Phillips AF977 with MA 2002 Cartridge: Tonearm balanced to zero, Tracking force set to 1.0gm: Impressions: Tracked well and played well. Never a problem.

HK T60: with MA 2002: Tonearm balanced to zero, Tracking force set to 1.0gm: Impressions: Cartridge would not track at all. As soon as the stylus met the groove, the cartridge bounced across the record. Cartridge was deemed incompatible with tonearm as explained by well trusted HiFi Shop.

HK T60 with Grado Signature 8: Tonearm balanced to zero, Tracking force set to 1.5gm: Impressions: Perfect match. Very stable in the groove, no resonance observed (no stylus quivering). No inner groove distortion, never a problem.

HK T60 with Grado Statement Sonata1: Tonearm balanced to zero (counterweight at rear end of travel and furthest from pivot.). Impressions: It played but would bounce across the record if bumped. Resonance measured at high end of acceptable using Hi Fi News Analog Test Record. Bump and resulting bounce seemed like the "tail was wagging the dog" and it would bounce a few times before stopping. Bear in mind that as cartridge weight increases, the rear counterweight needs to be further from the pivot, and inertia becomes more of a factor. Sound Quality: Inconsistent. Sometimes foggy, sometimes clear depended on recording. Occasional inner groove distortion even when cartridge properly aligned using HK Overhang gauge and grids. Inner groove distortion not present on all recordings, dependent on source volume on brand new and slightly used records from my personal collection (I do not purchase or play second hand records).

HK T65C with Grado Statement Sonata1: No different than HKT60 with Grado Statement Sonata1.
Appearance wise, the Tonearms on the T60 and T65C are very similar and have the same counterweight. Obvious difference is T65C uses a string and counterweight to adjust Antiskate and has a vaguely explained lateral balance weight. I think the magnetic antiskate adjust on the T60 is a better performer in theory as antiskate is constantly changing with record velocity and groove modulation (friction) depending on where the stylus is. A fixed weight on a string is a fixed amount of bias no matter where the stylus is whereas magnetic attraction or repulsion decreases with distance. The lateral balance weight on the T65C's tonearm is superfluous in my opinion as the tonearm is needle point pivot balanced. Lateral balance is more important with knife edge balance, as with the SME 3009 tonearm.

Moving the Grado Statement Sonata1 to a new table and arm (Thorens TD-124 MK1, SME 3009, Series II (Unimproved): Tracking Force:1.5gm Impressions: Tracking: Much better. If I bumped the turntable, the stylus would bounce once and stick the landing. No problem with inner groove distortion. Resonance measured in the middle of recommended range using Hi Fi News Analog Test Record. Visual observation of cantilever on warped records: not bouncy, cartridge on SME arm can track anything I've played. Much like a luxury car, the cartridge rides smoothly even over warped records.
Audible impressions: The Grado Statement Sonata1 sounded better on the SME arm. Bass was firmer and tighter, treble had more air and individual instruments could be located left, right, forward, rear, up and down. In contrast, the same cartridge on the HK tables was left, right, and a wall of sound in the middle. Same cartridge sounded better on the SME arm.

The HK tonearms were designed in a different era when many cartridges and tonearms were low mass. There are still low mass cartridges available today, but nothing I'm interested in. As I strive to improve my system as components (and cartridges) wear out, it became obvious to me the HK tonearms had become the limiting factor and narrowed my choice of new cartridges.

Even though every tonearm/cartridge in the above examples could be balanced to zero and set to the recommended tracking force and anti skate, some combinations seemed to track better than others.

I simply asked you to clarify the nebulous term you used, "handle".

A cartridge's suspension is like the springs and shock absorbers on a car.. As we all know, shock's must be matched to the car, otherwise the car doesn't "handle" very well.

Is it clear enough now?

Jeez Louise...I remember when I was a kid...my Sound Design turntable was perfectly fine! lol

I am finally going to his house tomorrow to test the HK T-60 As long as it isn't trashed, and plays the records, I'm buying! Of course will need your help in adjusting the suspension!!

Jeez Louise...I remember when I was a kid...my Sound Design turntable was perfectly fine! lol

I am finally going to his house tomorrow to test the HK T-60 As long as it isn't trashed, and plays the records, I'm buying! Of course will need your help in adjusting the suspension!!

Don't worry about all that, it will work just fine with plenty of good cartridges.

Be glad to help in any way I can, if you get it.

Jon

The HK tonearm was designed by the same guy who made the legendary Linn Ittok tonearm! The Quartz belt drive is a very unique feature along with the adjustable cartridge capacitance loading. I have a HK T55C turntable, nice turntable, but not as good as my Thorens TD-160.

The HK stabilizer record weight weighs approximately 1.2 pounds. My T55C didn't come with one when I bought it at a thrift store for $45, with an Ortofon OM 20 cartridge. I was lucky someone was selling a HK record weight on Ebay, I think I paid $39.99, years ago.

The 1984 prices of HK turntables. Those turntables weren't cheap!

T55C = $375
T60C = $475
T65C - $575

Back then the only time we ever heard the word "Suspension" was in reference to getting kicked out of school. That's all for now. I need to go adjust the "Detention" on my reel-to-reel ; )

Thanks!

any suggestions on the best way to "wash" records??

I went on Amazon, and there are several different types of record cleaners

So, the dust cover is actually in pretty good shape..a little scratched up. Unfortunately there is only one hinge! Does anybody know where I can find dust cover hinges???

Well, I actually was able to grind down one of the hinges from my old hitachi...I now have a working dustcover!

Doees anybody have any ideas about how to remove the scratches on the cover??

Well, I actually was able to grind down one of the hinges from my old hitachi...I now have a working dustcover!

Doees anybody have any ideas about how to remove the scratches on the cover??
Hi MFTROOP, I have a HK T65c, I bought it recently (5 days ago )at the same price as yours , wonderful table. I have a hinge that works with my turntable if you like it, I could send it to you (free), only let me know. My turntable had some scratches on the cover and I used a product NOVUS, very good stuff for scratches on plastic and acrilyc parts.
Regards.

Back
Top Bottom