HK430 FM Tuner Repair?

sportbucket

I also posted this in the Vintage Solid State forum, but perhaps it's more on-topic here. Sorry for cross-posting!

The FM Tuner on my Harmon-Kardon 430 doesn't work. No audio at all -- no static or anything. The AM side of the tuner works great.

Nothing is visibly broken inside. I looked at the service manual for a while, but I'm not sure where to start.

There's an adjustment knob for the FM muting in the back of the unit, with this knob in the right position and with FM muting turned on, I can get a signal, albeit quiet and muffled-sounding. Another interesting quirk is that it goes silent again if I touch a screwdriver to a certain part of the FM Front End.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm a reasonably technical person and I love to learn new things, so I'd like to think I can fix this. On the other hand, I'm not really sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Clean the controls with DeOxit first, then check the power supply voltages. Beyond that you need lots of test equipment an a good working knowledge of the tuners.

Do you have an antenna hooked to it? Some tuners will hardly work without an antenna.

X

Back
Top Bottom