Hofner bass wiring harness shielding

ggizzy

EMI extraordinaire
I have a cheaper Hofner Icon cavern "Beatle" bass that was in need of some TLC to setup. I figured that while I had everything torn apart I'd replace the cheap pc board wiring harness in the body cavity. There was underlying finish damage, so I elected to use a spare bit of plate I had leftover from another guitar project.

I rewired everything according to schematic and then plugged her in and bam- I was hit with instant hum! I rechecked all my wiring and component values and still it lingered. Moved with switch movement and volume controls. I went back to pictures collected on the internet and it looks like the only thing I am really missing is a metal plate to mount the volume pots and switches to. All the older examples appear to have this. Duh!

My question is what can I use? The cheapest thing would be aluminum sheet metal pieces they sell at the local hardware store for flashing. But this seems to thin. Should I just scrounge around or cut a thicker bit of aluminum?

I also assume I will have to ground it to the back of a pot?

Here is the color scheme for the body wiring on the bottom- (tailpiece ground - yellow),(p/u - yellow),(input jack - blue),(p/u - red)

Apologies! Image quality not the best, I can take a better one with cell I think if it helps

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 10
You can get conductive copper tape from Stewart Macdonald. They also sell shielding paint for the entire control cavity if you want to go all out.
If you want to try the cheap way first, just glue some aluminum foil over the inside of the plate and reattach the controls.

Back
Top Bottom