Holy carp, Oppo is done?

So sad to see a quality product offered at such an attractive price point go down. But I suppose it is to be expected.
Not much need for a physical product player with physical media going away fast.
Seems an affordable/quality SACD player will be no more? Just a shame.

It's definitely a niche product and in a dying market. Nobody under 30, maybe 40, buys physical media anymore.

At Costco, we don't have much; right now it's "The Last Jedi" and still plenty as I doubt we sold 100 copies, and a handful of "Coco", that is it. And we don't sell many DVD/BluRay/4K players either. But we do sell lots of WiFi capable smart TVs.

So unless they want to cater to an audiophile market that is divesting itself of physical media, they are best served by getting out as the mass market is going in another direction.

BTW, I bought an older Oppo in BT a few months ago and like it just fine. I have a backup Denon for my discs, so I'm set and happy.

Hell, I'm 51 and I don't buy physical media anymore. At least not like I used to. I will buy maybe one or two per year if they are available and ONLY IF I'm having a viewing party and I want to be sure I can have a backup in case the internet crashes. Later this year I'm getting together with some fellow nerds to drink whiskey and watch Blade Runner 2049. I will buy the disc to have in case. It will most likely be my only purchase this year unless some anime I REALLY REALLY want comes along. which is unlikely.

With the manufacturing of great inexpensive CD players like the Onkyo C-7030 and the low price of CD’s now the more expensive players like the OPPO have been under cut in expenditures by the competition. With people having large CD collections why should they buy a more expensive player that doesn’t sound that much better and in a good system hardly sounds better at all...that’s why I took an OPPO back !!! For the person that just has to spend more money because it just has to be better....sorry guys, look at the Linn CD Player, very comparable to the sound of the OPPO and at what price point difference ??? If OPPO was smart they would have reduced the line of equipment to only the TOTL player to cut costs.

The decision, for me at least, to purchase the 205 is not based its CD playing capability. The 205 was purchased mainly as my top performing SACD player. I have confidence that CD players will continue to be manufactured in the foreseeable future....but not so much for SACD players. With Marantz recently dropping SACD playback in its new 8006 series, there aren't many options left below $1,500.

Also, since I turned 50 last year, I figured I better take my hobby onto "the next step up" while I can still make a decent living. If I was retired, I certainly wouldn't have spent that much money.

If I want true HD I need to buy the Bluray. We have satellite internet that caps streaming at 480p and has a soft data cap at 150 gigs. No hi-def streaming for us. That being said, I only buy maybe one or two discs a year anyway. If I want nearly HD streaming, I'll download Netflix onto my phone and hook that up to the tv. It's a bit kludgy, but works well. Still, I would hate to see bluray go away, as we rent a lot more than we buy.

My current Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi, which I picked up new for $150.00, will become the backup SACD player....which has 3 other less expensive SACD capable players as backups.

I have always wanted a 205 and was hoping Oppo would release a silver version. For the last couple of years, it was a struggle to decide whether to get the 205 or a Technics SL-1200 GR. With Oppo's imminent demise, I figure I better do it now.

I've waivered on buying a 205 for a while now. The reason why I haven't done it is because most of my CDs are standard Redbook and my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi used as a transport into a Parasound D/AC-2000 makes a glorious sound on Redbook CDs. The D/AC-2000 uses the expensive UltraAnalog dual 20 bit DAC and AES 21 digital interface receiver, which to my ears is one of the best regular CD decoders ever made. Then I use the Pioneer for SACD, which I know the 205 can best. I'm not convinced the 205 can better my combo on regular CDs.

Back
Top Bottom