HOLY CRAP!!

The placement of those two electrolytics on the chassis right beside the 4-400's doesn't seem either original or a particularly good plan.

That is meant to be housed in a cabinet or cage. The wiring to the front panel meter is also exposed.

That isn't very many tubes. Just cause they are big doesn't mean the are putting out as much heat as many tubes in the same area. Check out the ARC VT200, banks of 6550, total of 8 matched pairs.

Canada, is the climate changing up there enough that these WE amps couldn't be nicely appreciated during the cooler months? The tube does specify, "adequate forced-air cooling must be provided..." Filament, 5.0Volts ok no big deal...14.5Amps. Well there you have it. That is some juice coursing through the tube. Cooling is specified even with no signal, whenever the filaments are on.

4-400s are a heck of a tube...used to maintain a 1kW Collins AM transmitter w/two in the modulator and 2 in the final amp. Top 40 format...highly compressed. Modulation monitor would quiver right around 99% 24/7...they were glowing a bright yellow and took it.

That isn't very many tubes. Just cause they are big doesn't mean the are putting out as much heat as many tubes in the same area. Check out the ARC VT200, banks of 6550, total of 8 matched pairs.

Canada, is the climate changing up there enough that these WE amps couldn't be nicely appreciated during the cooler months? The tube does specify, "adequate forced-air cooling must be provided..." Filament, 5.0Volts ok no big deal...14.5Amps. Well there you have it. That is some juice coursing through the tube. Cooling is specified even with no signal, whenever the filaments are on.

Well,I suppose I could always duct them into the furnace return plenum:p

I'm no tech, nor a Western Electric expert, but those look freaking mean.
Nor am I. I truthfully cant see anything on there that would make them a WE amp. Perhaps a WE designed copy but no transformers input or output nor tubes are WE made or branded.

Regards Snow

The gear that shows up in little old Burnaby, at times its a wonder.
Ranging from 15 to 20 minutes travel time.

Back
Top Bottom