Holy S#!T BATMAN! I literally BLEW out the Woofers on my NOS pair of Advent Baby 3's

SixCats!

Hi all,

YIKES! What can I say ? I guess I was foolish (playing a tad too LOUD) my NOS pair of Advent Baby III's. I SHOULD have known that the Woofer surrounds (despite LOOKING fine) were "aged". While testing/playing (today's find) a KENWOOD KM-105 Power Amp, I SHOULD have played something "mellow" i.e. Piano or Violin Classical but noooooooo, I had to spin "The Emerald Forest" Sound track. Everything was going along fine until the last cut when the HEAVY Drums kick in and then, BOOM! Bye bye Woofers! I quickly powered off the unit and yep, as I feared, both Baby 3 Woofers no longer have surrounds! Damn it, I SHOULD have known!
Oooh well, I suppose it all "balances" out. I shouldn't really complain. Well, that was EXCITING!

SixCats!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Good questions! I did NOT see/smell smoke so, I'm hoping that the Foam surrounds exploding due to the (over) dynamic Drums pluses.
Truthfully, I did not think I was playing the speakers too loudly. I'm thinking it is perhaps a combo of too much volume/dynamics and (unbeknownst to me)
compromised (read aged) Foam. I did however hear some (not so cool) noise about the time the Woofers went South. King, I guess I will have to remove the
Woofers to test using an Ohm meter ? Believe it or not, I've never tested Drivers before. I guess now, I'll have to learn how.

SixCats!

Refoam then and you can get loud again :) no doubt. Those woofers are worth repairing, and are likely a better fit than 99% of replacements.

Seeing they're NOS (New Old Stock) I don't suppose you got them with a NOW (New Old Warranty)? <G>

And I tend to go with the crowd on this one. Not many drivers that can't be repaired if you put your mind to it ...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

By the way, for future reference ... "should of" should read "should have".

So, you're saying he should of said should have?

Sounds like you can refoam and use them again.

When I was in college we used a Phase Linear 400 power amp for concerts, etc. Since we had stuff stolen from the area where we kept the PA equipment, I kept (and used) the PL400 in my room between concerts. One night we were playing records pretty loudly and low frequency feedback started between the speakers and the turntable. With 200WPC on tap, it got loud very quickly until both woofer voice coils fried. They were replaced under warranty.

So now you know the right way to fry Advent woofers. :beerchug:

Last edited:
I've got a pair of those in storage I that I never did get sold off. I think I have more in the foam price than what I paid for the speakers.

I have re-foamed two pair, one with "well-sourced" foams and one with generics. They both sounded quite good to my ears.

I just bought a pair for 5 bucks this week. I'll use generics....

Well, #SixCats!, have you refoamed your Advent Baby IIIs? Are they playing well again?

I just picked up a pair of Baby IIIs and refoamed and recapped them. I was surprised at how good they sound for such small speakers. I have similar vintage Advent Legacy II speakers. The Baby IIIs don't go as low, but the sound is similar. With a subwoofer, the Baby IIIs are pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom