Holy Smokes - A Free Fabulous Thunderbirds Concert In My Little Town

JDaniel

My little town of about 20K people has a "City-Fest" each year. It's basically a small town festival, with activities for the kids, food vendors galore, arts/crafts, and local musicians playing on a stage. It is all held at the city park. Well it was just announced today that The Fabulous Thunderbirds will close out the day of activities at City-Fest with a free concert, followed by a fireworks show.

For me, the fireworks show will be on stage. I had the pleasure of seeing the Fab. T-birds open up for Eric Clapton circa 1982. That was one fantastic concert.

Uh, Dave, Alan, Eric - wanna come for a visit around June 5th? Your welcome at chez JD.

JD

Speaking of such thangs, I actually read a newspaper last wk-end, only to discover that Hiatt is playing at the House of Blues here this Sunday nite. If there's any down-side, it appears to be a solo show, since the Goners are not advertised at all. Opening act- David Lindley- heard of him, but never heard anything by him.

Dave- should I go and give all the juicy details here?????

:p:

My Freebie

was Avril Lavigne, last weekend. I took my 9 year old daughter. stood waiting for 3 hrs to hear a 30 minute set. Kids loved it, even managed an autograph.

Free show in a mall parking lot to promote her new album. Got a crowd of about 5000, mostly under 15yrs old.

I don't know Eric. I may need to come out there and help you get all the details ;)

Hmm...wonder how cheap I can get round trip tickets to Vegas for right now. Let see, I also need tickets to Birmingham - boy this could be expensive :p:

-Dave

Originally posted by Dave918
Hmm...wonder how cheap I can get round trip tickets to Vegas for right now. Let see, I also need tickets to Birmingham - boy this could be expensive :p:

-Dave

Southwest Airlines baby. The fly into Birmingham. Cheap, no frills, but they get you there.

And just think of the $$ you'll be saving in concert tickets. The Fabulous T-birds show is free. And hotel bills (you can sleep in my HT). I'll even buy the adult beverages.:beerchug:

JD

The Goners are gone, gone gone...

Originally posted by tentoze
Speaking of such thangs, I actually read a newspaper last wk-end, only to discover that Hiatt is playing at the House of Blues here this Sunday nite. If there's any down-side, it appears to be a solo show, since the Goners are not advertised at all. Opening act- David Lindley- heard of him, but never heard anything by him.

I believe the Goners are officially disbanded. Check out Hiatt's "official" site. It rarely gets any official messages from JH but the fan chat is sometimes good. A JH show may not be as great as a Goners show but it will still kick ass.

As for David Lindley, I believe he is a "famous unknown" session musician. If he is who I think he is, he was on tour with Bonnie Raitt (big JH fan BTW), Jackson Browne, Bruce Hornsby and Shawn Colvin back in 1999. I won tickets and airfare to see the Red Rocks show. Jeez, it got cold that night!

Is this an inside joke?

Fab T-Birds? Wrap wrap wrap wrap it up?

I would hope its free, can't imagine anyone actually paying to see that freakshow. ;)

Cheers,
Russ

Originally posted by RuSsMaN
Is this an inside joke?

Fab T-Birds? Wrap wrap wrap wrap it up?

I would hope its free, can't imagine anyone actually paying to see that freakshow. ;)

Cheers,
Russ

No inside joke here. I've always been a fan of the Fab. Thunderbirds, as well as other similar bands such as Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble. Why do you call that a freakshow? IMHO they made some dang fine music. If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool, but a freakshow?:dunno:

I've paid to see them, and I'll gladly go when it is free.

JD

Originally posted by JDaniel
No inside joke here. I've always been a fan of the Fab. Thunderbirds, as well as other similar bands such as Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble. Why do you call that a freakshow? IMHO they made some dang fine music. If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool, but a freakshow?:dunno:

I've paid to see them, and I'll gladly go when it is free.

JD

:thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Who's in the band these days?
I ask because I heard that Kim Wilson is living up around me in the Detroit area. In fact, he was on WDET, our NPR station, a few weeks back.
If you want some good listening, try Jimmy Vaughns' "Do You have the Blues"!

Originally posted by Andyman
Who's in the band these days?
I ask because I heard that Kim Wilson is living up around me in the Detroit area. In fact, he was on WDET, our NPR station, a few weeks back.
If you want some good listening, try Jimmy Vaughns' "Do You have the Blues"!

According to the band's official website, Wilson is still in the band:

"In addition to Wilson, the current Thunderbirds line-up features Troy Gonyea on guitar, Jimi Bott on drums, Ronnie James on bass and Gene Taylor on keyboards."

JD

JDaniel

I saw that after I posted.

I also saw that Jimmy Vaughn's been out of the band since 1989 or 1990!!

Show's what I know!

Fab T-Birds... Seen 'em in OKC way back when, they opened for, I think, REO Speedwagon. Great set. When their set was over, Five of the most beautiful long legged blonde females left from front of the stage.... The ladies impressed me more than the T-Birds. Hah. Kim Wilson and Jimmie Vaughn are the T-birds.

Jimmie Was here in Dallas last week. Free kick in my ass from anyone on AK for not going to see him. DOH! 25 dollar tickets at the Sons Of Hermann Hall, I am a maroon. OH well Eric Clapton is having "The Crossroads" concert here in Dallas in June And I will prolly go to that. Loads of talent will be here.

David Lindley, A very Talented musician with a cool sense of Humour. El Rayo X is a cool album! A few gems from the album are "Mercury Blues" "Your Old Lady" "She Took Off My Romeos" Heck the album is loaded with good tunes. IMO Should be a blast to see him live! Saw David Lindley on a Sunday nite show hosted by David Sanborn, played a Hawiaan guitar of some sort.

I think I used to sell beer and smokes to those guys back in 77 when I was working graveyard in a convenience store a block down Seymour Highway from Wichita Falls',Tx main rock n roll club. I remember one of them being real nice to me which was a change from all the drunks threatening to kick my ass unless I sold them beer after hours.
Remember those great big glass Coke bottles? I kept an empty one behind the counter to use as a club. Ah, the memories! If that band still has original members they must be bout old as dirt!

Met Jimmy and Kim in the lobby of the Hyatt downtown Memphis mid-80s. Cool guys. I remember Jimmy had a blonde under each arm and a huge diamond ring (horseshoe shape?) on his hand. What a life!

Back
Top Bottom