HOMC recommendation

I've used a few homc, I have an sae 1000lt on one of my tables and a retipped and new cantilevered dl110. There is a redone 110 that's for sale and one of our members here has it. It sounds very nice but has better detail due to the nude line contact tip. If you're interested send me a pm and I will discuss.

Retipping a DL 110 would make a useful new thread.

I have a worn $139 DL 110 bought at the old list price. A retip upgrade that was cost effective would be interesting to many.

If your budget allows, I like the Sumiko Blackbird. The other option is to DIY a nice phono stage that handles LOMCs. I have built 3 of these http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ad797-phono-stage-build-and-help-desk-thread.501186/ for different systems and they sound marvelous. My latest build is coupled with an Ortofon Jubilee and kicks ass. I built mine as a dual mono set-up but that isn't necessary for exigent sound. (My build is post #1077) Cost is about $200 with boards, parts, etc. I think someone here will build you one IIRC.

SUTs don't have to cost mega bucks. Needledoctor have one at a very reasonable cost :)
http://www.needledoctor.com/Rothwell-Audio-MC1-Step-Up-Transformer

I think one advantage of a low output MC is the very low inductance of the coils - it gives a very flat frequency response. MMs have much more inductance and are sensitive to capacitance loads which produce a peak in the frequency response.
High output MCs have more turns on the coils than low output MCs have, therefore more inductance.
Anyway, that's just a theory and I may be wrong.

SUTs don't have to cost mega bucks. Needledoctor have one at a very reasonable cost :)
http://www.needledoctor.com/Rothwell-Audio-MC1-Step-Up-Transformer

I think one advantage of a low output MC is the very low inductance of the coils - it gives a very flat frequency response. MMs have much more inductance and are sensitive to capacitance loads which produce a peak in the frequency response.
High output MCs have more turns on the coils than low output MCs have, therefore more inductance.
Anyway, that's just a theory and I may be wrong.
I have the MC-1 on a Linn Basik w/Akito and AT-OC-9. I often wonder if I should have gone with the MCX. Well, I am getting a second TT so maybe I will find out. The gain on the MC-1 is about right so if I get a Hana EL or even a Denon 103, I would think the MCX would work as well as the MCL for me. Any feedback? I got mine from Brit Audio and they were nice to do business with.

Just my 2 cents, but you can get some killer performance well below $1000 for a used LOMC and used SUT. I recently bought a used AT OC9 and a step up transformer for less than $600 and it sounds killer!. I also have a Dynavector 20X high output, and while it is a nice cartridge, the AT and SUT are all around better. I don't know the compliance of my gear to your arm, I'm just saying, don't close the door on SUT. They are available for reasonable prices.

Onebean
I like my OC-9, but you missed the true "joy" of the break-in period if you got yours used. My GOD it sounded awful for many hours! Some ppl say that it the OC-9 takes about twice as long as most carts to break in. I preferred the SUT (rothwell MC-1) approach from the standpoint that it is a passive device so one less electrical gizmo to plug in and it appealed to the "purist" in me.

I like my OC-9, but you missed the true "joy" of the break-in period if you got yours used. My GOD it sounded awful for many hours! Some ppl say that it the OC-9 takes about twice as long as most carts to break in. I preferred the SUT (rothwell MC-1) approach from the standpoint that it is a passive device so one less electrical gizmo to plug in and it appealed to the "purist" in me.

Haha, I went through that with a DL110 and a DL103. The break in is sudden rather than gradual too. Since then I've only bought used MC's and get them retipped. The only exception was a Hana EL where the difference was minimal :)

I have the MC-1 on a Linn Basik w/Akito and AT-OC-9. I often wonder if I should have gone with the MCX. Well, I am getting a second TT so maybe I will find out. The gain on the MC-1 is about right so if I get a Hana EL or even a Denon 103, I would think the MCX would work as well as the MCL for me. Any feedback? I got mine from Brit Audio and they were nice to do business with.
The MCX is a more expensive transformer than the MC1 due to the higher quality core material and the more complex wiring geometry. The benefits of the MCX are greater high frequency response and less susceptibility to hum pick-up. On the bench you can clearly see the improved HF performance but in a system the MC1 certainly doesn't disgrace itself and really isn't too far behind the MCX.
As for hum pick-up, you can get extremely low levels of hum if you site the transformer carefully so that nearby mains transformers aren't too close. With the MC1 you just have to be a bit more careful with siting than with the MCX.
Yes, Michael at Brit Audio is very nice to deal with, I can recommend him.

I recommend 2juki as well. I bought a DL-103 and a DL-110 directly from him. See his email address below

onepc DL-103 and one pc DL110 at US$310- including shipping and if you feel interest,
pls send US$310- to my Paypal account:
juki@leonidasltd.com
thanks from juki,

Haha, I went through that with a DL110 and a DL103. The break in is sudden rather than gradual too. Since then I've only bought used MC's and get them retipped. The only exception was a Hana EL where the difference was minimal :)
I was thinking of getting a Hana EL for my second table. How is it?

Fantastic cartridge. Very detailed and flows nicely. A hint of warmth which makes it a forgiving of vinyl defects. Significantly better than my best modified DL103.

Back
Top Bottom