1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Home Bar Project

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by jheu02, Jan 18, 2017.

1. jheu02

jheu02 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Finished...for now. Got the sink in, water hooked up, cabinet doors hung and glassware moved down. Liquor is in the cabinets til I get the back bar finished. The big challenge now will be cleaning up the surrounding area so it can be used.

Future portions will include the back bar, perhaps an overhead frame that follows the bar lines for lighting/looks, trimming out the window and book/game case and getting a smaller chest freezer as a keezer to hold the current draughts. I'll move the big one to another room for use in brewing (fermenting, lagering, cold storage, etc). I also need to dress up that back wall, hang the chalkboard for the beer list and hang the dart board, etc. IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0920.JPG

tmtomh, Smitty43, DC and 4 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd need a drink after doing all that.

SPL db likes this.
  3. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

Captain & Coke if you please! ;)

4. Ron_Phelps

Ron_Phelps Active Member

Oh hell ya !

5. bravo30

bravo30 Bravo30 Subscriber

That bar is simply a thing of beauty!!! :bowdown:

tmtomh likes this.
  6. jimfet

Just in time to break it in for the Holidays.

7. KLH9

KLH9 A Double Pair Sounds OK

Goddie another home bar thread....

First let me say you've made a FANTASTIC looking home bar. I could sit there for hours myself :)

Taking it AudioKarma centered here is my "home bar"

Rockola juke box company home bar that I've had for decades.

Not seen another one like this one. Seen a few Rockola home bars over the years but not another blond wood bar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tmtomh and SPL db like this.
  8. jheu02

Nice. My plan for now is to make a repurposed Maggie console part of the back bar. I couldn't get the preamp/tuner working, so the amp is now standalone and the console gutted. The sliding top doors to the turntable area, and resulting open space look like they'll fit either a small cooler-as-ice-chest, or be some other storage, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to convert the front speaker trim with fake hinges to become actual doors on hinges for wine storage. Currently trying to trim the built in shelf that part of the bar touches in new wood to match the bar.

9. gogofast

gogofast AK Subscriber Subscriber

Jheu02, that is one amazing and professional looking bar.

10. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

As a former barkeep, I give that bar my seal of approval. Nice work.

11. jheu02

Since I never seem to want to finish projects... :D

The home bar is becoming... the Home English Pub. Working on the wall paneling which will then be stained to match the bar and tie that whole section of the basement together.
    91C8A9CA-D0F4-4047-B53D-95B922640660.jpeg 497753D3-A9F0-4331-A715-7DFFCA43F5C5.jpeg

tmtomh and Wildcat like this.

12. jheu02

Trim pieces for hiding the plywood in a Roman Ogee shape are non-existant for purchase as far as I can find. Called several millwork places in NC and looked at a bunch of others online. So, I'm making my own...A little tedious, but I'll get the shape I want vs settling for standard cove or quarter-round moulding. Decided to use yellow pine since I have to make 60-70 8' lengths to trim each of the wall squares and there would be a lot of waste (sawdust) from the routing and cutting (though that's going into the compost bin). Here's the simple setup on which I can make eack stick in 3-5 minutes. Not commercial speed by any means...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wildcat likes this.
  13. jimfet

A room growing around a bar.

valvenator likes this.
  14. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I'll tell ya what. In my dad's era, many in the family had a bar in the basement. During parties at our house, most of the ladies would stay upstairs in the living room, but everyone else (including my cousins) hung out downstairs around the bar. Dad had dozens of bottles of booze collected throughout the years--just about anything imaginable. Not only that, he had four or five round tables set up with chairs during the parties, so it was always the epicenter of the parties we had. (A couple of our Xmas parties didn't until about 4:45am, the last few survivors finally being dragged home by angry spouses. :D )

We even had the Chianti bottles holding the candles, with the drippings of a few dozen colored candles on them. It was always hard to keep the young 'uns from picking the wax off of those bottles!

upload_2018-3-10_12-46-0.png

John James likes this.
  15. jheu02

Lots of trim work done to create my "Judge's Paneling" as I found out it's called...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wildcat likes this.
  16. jheu02

Finally getting some work done on this. Summer was busy, and my mom passed away, so I plodded along with this project as I could. Finally replaced the window that had been holding things up, and so I could finish the trim work. Then filling the nail holes, and sanding. Tonight I finished that and started the stain process... Bulls Eye Seal Coat mixed 1:1 with denatured alcohol for a 1# cut of shellac. Brushed that on one wall and then stained that wall with the initial color (gunstock). Two walls to go with that process and then back over it with a Gel stain to make it match the bar and tie everything together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.

17. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Wow...that will look rich when it's all done! :thumbsup:

18. jheu02

That's the hope. Thx.

19. jheu02

Stain is finished. Now to do a seal coat of Urethane. Once that's done, I need to build the keezer and clean out the mess so we can use the space again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John James, tmtomh and IPADave like this.
  20. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

Excellent work! A nice warm and welcoming look.

-Dave