home made record cleaning machine

Do a search on it. There were several threads last year; some w/ links to plans.

I built a similar prototype last year, but has issues with the vaccuum. It either didn't draw out the fluid to dry it or sucked right onto the record and stopped rotation.
Which begs the question: How dry should it leave the record???

Although some might disagree, I think the record should be dry when you've finished vaccuuming. I have my vaccuum hooked up to a dimmer switch that lets me control the speed / strength of the vaccuum. It may not be great for the motor but it works well enough.

Couldn't you just drill the vacuum nozzle until you got just the right amount of vacuum? I think the worry for some is that if you vacuum it too dry you are actually just evaporating the fluid and leaving behind residue. Ideally, if the vacuum is right you are sucking off the fluid. However, if you do a thorough rinse in ultra-distilled water, there shouldn't be much residue left in case of evaporation.

The main drawback I see with cleaning machines is that you have to clean one side at a time. I'm trying to build one that holds the LP vertically and cleans both sides at once. It is held by rubber seals sprung against and protecting the label. I'm thinking you'd want to soak the record in cleaning solution, rinse off the major gunk, wet-brush it with a milder solution, spin in distilled water, and then vacuum it with a velvet-lined attachment.

I have an old water-pic to use for the first-rinse (reduced pressure, of course). Finding brushes is the tough part. Ideally I'd have four. Carbon-fiber brushes are pricey at that quantity.

Back
Top Bottom