Home Sweet Home - Hopefully

Great looking house!
I don't know about your new flooring, but beware Laminate Flooring contains plenty of
formaldehyde. Also found in particle, chip board and plywood. You can buy formaldehyde free
plywood.

Found this out reading Fine Homebuilding. Dr's are pretty upset over the industry about that because of the Cancer risks in their last info on it .

Last edited:
Well, I thought I had a photo of the front of the house, but I guess the camera didn't agree.

The stone veneer is done. the full face of the garage is stone, about 3' at the base of the front, and the full face of the one bedroom that sticks out. We also had the same stone for the face of the fireplace, and I paid to have it go clear to the ceiling. The trim isn't on the fireplace yet, and that's all of the baseboard sitting on the floor. We went there today to get a quote on plantation shutters for the windows and glass doors. 22 windows, 3 glass doors - about 430 square feet, $9952 installed. The sliding glass door you see through the window is the master bedroom. Will be getting another quote on window coverings later on, but we like what we saw and heard today.

Sorry for the lousy photo.

fireplace.jpg

Had to go back and measure for some outside electrical - got some more photos.

The garage. Stone on the third stall, stucco color coat later on the double.
garage.jpg

The siding - they had just painted it while we were there The columns will also have some extra treatment to them.

siding2.jpg

The front with the stone gable. All of his other homes have a straight walkway to the entry. He gave ours a little curve to set it off.
You can also see the house next door is being framed. He already has people interested.front.jpg

The cabinet/granite company started. They made a mistake on the main counter top behind me, but it will be the same material as this. Backsplash to come later.

kitchen cab and counter.jpg

Our shower wall:

shower wall.jpg

Guest bath tub

guest bath.jpg

So it's getting there. A little behind schedule because of the weather, but moving along. Once he can get the exterior color coat of stucco, it should move fast. They were starting to paint the trim while we were there, but we had other things to do so we left. Probably more photos next week.

Better floor plan:
floor plan x.jpg

The dining room is going to be my den. The armoire that currently holds my Sansui is going in the great room, so I'll come up with a different rack for the den. The dining table will go in that corner above the kitchen. That's the plan for now. I'll probably still put a small system in the armoire.
\
Bedroom 1 is going to house my late mother's antique bedroom set. 2 will be wifey's sewing room, and 3 will be another guest bedroom.

Had to meet with out tax man today, so we stopped in by the house on the way home. Most of the crews had left. Still too rainy for the stucco color coat. Tile backsplash was in the kitchen minus the grout, which will probably go in tomorrow.

bascsplash.jpg

The flooring was delivered, and one of the boxes was open, so I slid a piece out and put it against the wall. Lousy photo.

flooring.jpg

Slowly but surely.

Went by a few days ago - everyone was hard at work on the house across the street because it had to final Friday. While we were there the discussion came up about the color of the front door. The builder likes to do a few things unique to set his houses off a bit. Wifey held up her "wine" watch with a wine colored band and said, "I want this color". The painter smiled, walked over to his pickup, pulled out his chip book, and pointed to one and said "This will go perfect with the exterior colors."

She had to go over today and measure the slot for the refrigerator, and they had just painted the door.

20190327_114817.jpg 20190327_114854.jpg

The neighbors across the street had theirs painted blue to go with their gray colors.

They had also installed and painted the columns in the entry. There's this one, another on the right, and the entry to the dining room/den just to the left of the photo has a pair also.

20190327_115212.jpg

The landscapers are busy on the front yard. It should be done early next week.

Now back to wrestling with the mortgage company. What a pain!

Got a call from the title company - they had docs ready to sign, so off we went. Swing by the bank and wire funds for closing. They expect to get the final on the house Tuesday or Wednesday, close escrow Thursday or Friday. Getting there!!

Then, the dreaded move.

Did the walk-through at 4 this afternoon. They still have a few minor things to finish, but we can start moving things in. Rain in the forecast, but we had time to bring a load of mattresses and bedding over and put it in the garage. Depending on the weather, we'll take the new living room furniture over tomorrow. Saturday our son and a friend will help with some of the heavy things.

Sorry for no updates. It's been hectic.

Got all of the living room furniture moved into the garage, then went back and loaded up the bedroom set. Early Saturday morning we headed over to start. Wifey and I got the guest bed set up first. When our son and Clint showed up, we started in on the master bedroom. Super heavy and awkward, but we got it in. Clint had to get back for his son's 1st birthday party, so I started on the living room furniture while he was gone..When he got back, we finished assembling all of that, then went and picked up the TV stand/entertainment center and assembled it. All this time Wifey was busy putting shelf liners in all the drawers and cabinets. By then it was pushing eight 0'clock and we were bushed, so we cane back here and had take-out Chinese.

Yesterday our son had to go back down south, so we loaded him up with some of our old furniture that he wanted, and took a load of smaller furniture tot he new house. Wifey finished the shelves and started unloading stuff. I put felt pads on all the furniture feet, the had to break down all the furniture cardboard boxes to bring back here (I have a free cardboard dumpster). Leftover Chinese and off to bed.

Still no gas meter, but it's been ordered. I have an eye appointment at 1 today, then back to the city to get the water and garbage started, as well as the post office. If time permits I'll take a photo or two this afternoon. Our son will be coming back up this coming weekend to help move the last of the big stuff.

Also have to get internet service, as well as a new fridge, washer, and dryer.

Amazing how fast a new house can empty a checking account!!!

Last edited:
We moved three years ago, and this will be it for us. Lost 30 lbs. during the process, but unfortunately I've gained it back! Enjoy it as much as you can, you'll savor the new house for a long time.

Almost done!

The gas meter was set this morning and gas turned on. The new washer, dryer, and refrigerator were also delivered and set up this afternoon. Our son is coming up tomorrow after work to help me move the armoire and stereo equipment. TV and internet service will be installed Saturday morning. Once that is done, I'll take some photos. Wifey has been putting everything away so it will all be in place when we move the clothes.

Our daughter's bridal shower is at my sister's house in a few weeks, and a bunch of the girls will be spending the night in our new home afterwards. It won't be 100% done, but pretty close.

The sad part - my Khorns will not be making the trip. There just isn't a place for them, so I'm digging out the Cornwalls and putting the K's up for sale. I'll leave one small system for demo in the old house until we've gotten rid of all the old furniture we don't want or need any more. If they don't sell right away, I'll move them to my warehouse in town and try again later. Time for them to go to someone else who can also appreciate them.

Spent the first night in our new home. Still a little messy inside with a bunch of boxes that need to be unpacked, but the hard part is done.

Here's the photo our son took Saturday before we left. I'll take some inside photos when it's "put away" a little more.moved in.jpg

Today I'm taking down the pallet rack shelving in the garage and moving it to the new place. Still have old furniture in the house to get rid of.

Sorry for no recent photos, but the window shutters have been ordered, and they take time. The day we closed escrow, the shutter company showed up at 4:30 and installed temporary window covers so we could move in and have some privacy. As soon as they arrive, I'll give a photo tour. They will really "finish" the house.

In the meantime, this weekend is our daughter's bridal shower at my sister's house. After it's over, some of the guests will be coming over and spending the night here.

Back
Top Bottom