Home Theater

In terms of features vs. cost of an AVR vs. a pre/pro, you're pretty much getting the amps for free. The problem with lower cost AVRs is they don't often have pre outs for all channels.

In most cases needing the power of separate amps in and of itself is, however, debatable. There are a few relatively serious HT folks here but most are casual users/dabblers (no disrespect intended, for context I have a TT and some records but consider myself a dabbler in that regard) an AVR and included amps will be just fine.

Last edited:
Its been along time since Ive been down this road.
It used to be quite simple finding a receiver that would deliver pounding stereo and 5channel audio bliss.
But boy the times have changed.
Why ..does somebody need their cell phone attached to their home audio??!!??:no:

Given all the techno garb and bling ..that really only takes up space..for I dunno ..better power supplies and audio components!!
Heck at the Future Shop.. Onkyo was the only manufacturer that used a shielded Transformer,Nichicon and Elna caps
Sony had a mesh mash of capacitors ,that included everything..even CapOnX..really..
Yamaha was decked out respectably with Nichicon..then a whole bunch of Audio Capacitors ..but no brand name.
Pioneer..To be honest ..I didn't bother looking further after the high power light weight ...very light weight..

The current palette of audio gear on the market seems to do everything except audio.

Brass tacks.. Does anybody produce an AVR that does home theater, and does it with authority anymore.

Im upgrading from Denon AVR. ..I don't need or want the Bling.
HDMI, DTS,Yess these are must have's.
Who does home stereo and theater anymore?
Who does it well?
Who does it great?

To be honest.. I'm really leaning towards mono blocks and a processor pre-amp..Im not going to get what I want I don't believe.

Well, I guess I'm Old School then.

While I already have a Separates-Based System for Music Listening (KEF Reference Speakers with Adcom Preamplifier and Power Amplifier with a PS Audio Phono Stage and Magnum Dynalab FM Tuner), and I just prefer to keep things simplified when it comes to my Home Theater.

For my Home Theater, I have:

Sound Bar: Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 (5 Channels in One Speaker. Don't need nor have the space for 7+ Channels, and I prefer not to have Speakers scattered all over my room either)

Powered Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800 (8" Driver with a 300 Watt Amplifier)

Audio/Video Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR-3600 (85 Watts x 7, HDMI Connectivity)

Blu-Ray Player: Pioneer BDP-51FD

Cable Box: Xfinity HDTV Decoder with DVR

Television/Monitor: Panasonic TH-42PZ77U (42" Plasma)*

And basically, this is ALL I ever need.

So, maybe you could give Harman/Kardon a try?? Or maybe Yamaha?? Because honestly, all that stuff that you're talking about, I don't need all that Bling either. I'm about better sound, and that's it. I just want to put a DVD or Blu-Ray in and just ease my mind, put the world behind me and get immersed into a good movie every now and then. It's more therapeutic than you think.

And while I may go all out and insist on either a High Quality Integrated Amplifier or a Separate Preamp and Power Amp for music listening, I'm one of those dudes who keeps it simple, and still go for a Receiver when it comes to Home Theater (I keep it in the $450.00 to about $1K range).

The latest surround formats, I can do without. DPL, DPLII, DD, DTS and a mixture of Old and New Connectivity are MUST HAVES for me. Decent Sound is a MUST HAVE as well. I just prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

* = I do plan on upgrading to an LCD/LED Television later on this year. I am looking at a 43" Vizio M-Series UHDTV to replace my aging Panasonic Plasma. However, I won't be in the market for new AVR no time soon.

--Charles--

I used an Anthem AVM 20 for several years until the desire to have HDMI convenience and Audyssey struck. Would have like to gone with another Anthem but chose not to spend that much this time around. Their support was stellar and never had a lick of malfunctions with the unit. And, they actually delivered on feature additions via firmware and or hardware updates, unlike the vaporware from some other places.

That said, the Marantz AV7005 that replaced the Anthem is a nice setup too and at (to me) a reasonable price point considering how (relatively) rapidly HT evolves.

BTW, I still have the AVM 20 and it still works great within the feature set it has.

I too still have a Anthem AVM 20 I use for 2 channel pre, I also use Marantz for HT duties but I have them 7701 and its great, I also have a Integra 80.2 but I think the Marantz fleshes out a bit more quality sound, I do like Integra for its more elaborate manual EQ options, almost twice of Marantz. Both are balanced or single ended, both do room EQ......the Marantz runs much cooler if that's a concern.

To be honest.. I'm really leaning towards mono blocks and a processor pre-amp..Im not going to get what I want I don't believe.

When I decided to have an HT I added a processor, rear speakers and the amplifiers needed to a system that was composed of separates. I recently switched to a new processor as I wanted HDMI switching. Easy, peasy and less expensive than an HT receiver with enough power for my purposes (I don't think any exist anyway). Everything else stayed the same.

When I decided to have an HT I added a processor, rear speakers and the amplifiers needed to a system that was composed of separates. I recently switched to a new processor as I wanted HDMI switching. Easy, peasy and less expensive than an HT receiver with enough power for my purposes (I don't think any exist anyway). Everything else stayed the same.

Seems to me processors are cheaper on used market too with ATMOS adopters and Room EQ advances the swappers flood the market with killer dealsm

Well, I guess I'm Old School then.

While I already have a Separates-Based System for Music Listening (KEF Reference Speakers with Adcom Preamplifier and Power Amplifier with a PS Audio Phono Stage and Magnum Dynalab FM Tuner), and I just prefer to keep things simplified when it comes to my Home Theater.

For my Home Theater, I have:

Sound Bar: Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 (5 Channels in One Speaker. Don't need nor have the space for 7+ Channels, and I prefer not to have Speakers scattered all over my room either)

Powered Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800 (8" Driver with a 300 Watt Amplifier)

Audio/Video Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR-3600 (85 Watts x 7, HDMI Connectivity)

Blu-Ray Player: Pioneer BDP-51FD

Cable Box: Xfinity HDTV Decoder with DVR

Television/Monitor: Panasonic TH-42PZ77U (42" Plasma)*

And basically, this is ALL I ever need.

So, maybe you could give Harman/Kardon a try?? Or maybe Yamaha?? Because honestly, all that stuff that you're talking about, I don't need all that Bling either. I'm about better sound, and that's it. I just want to put a DVD or Blu-Ray in and just ease my mind, put the world behind me and get immersed into a good movie every now and then. It's more therapeutic than you think.

And while I may go all out and insist on either a High Quality Integrated Amplifier or a Separate Preamp and Power Amp for music listening, I'm one of those dudes who keeps it simple, and still go for a Receiver when it comes to Home Theater (I keep it in the $450.00 to about $1K range).

The latest surround formats, I can do without. DPL, DPLII, DD, DTS and a mixture of Old and New Connectivity are MUST HAVES for me. Decent Sound is a MUST HAVE as well. I just prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

* = I do plan on upgrading to an LCD/LED Television later on this year. I am looking at a 43" Vizio M-Series UHDTV to replace my aging Panasonic Plasma. However, I won't be in the market for new AVR no time soon.

--Charles--
Hi Charles, what is your honest assessment of your DT Pro Sub 800? Do you think what you paid for it is a fair price? Does it deliver what you expected it to? I'm thinking about getting one and would appreciate an unbiased opinion. Thanks.

Great thread...
I predict that the last of the HEAVYWEIGHT 7.1 or 7.2 Surround Sound Receivers will be sought after one day.
Last September....
I purchased a 501 Pioneer Elite helping a friend ( with his money ) and passed up on the " Newer Lightweight" Technology crap... the salesman was aware of this trend of less Quality in the Amplifier section of these new surround sound receivers also....
One of my First criteria was the weight of the unit itself.......

Back
Top Bottom