homemade gazebo.. my first time.

aidynphoenix

hello guys.. i made my mom a picnic table about a week ago.. and it turned out wonderfull.. it looks much better than the ones at the home depot here.. and it much bigger too.. i used deck and porch weather treatment on it..
i wound up spending about $100. for all the materials..

we origionally wanted a large awning over our patio in the back yard.. but our patio is gigantic..
now that i got my confidence up.. i am wanting to start a new project.. it sounds alot more difficult.. but as well as my other projects turned out i have confidence..
now i must admit i am a bit of a woodworking virgin. and i kinda lay things down. eye it out than measure and make a drawing before i know what i am doing..
but it always has seemed to turn out fine before..

i want to make a Gazebo for our back patio and the picnic table can sit inside it.. my only concern is high winds possibly tipping it over.. so i have been thinking heavy is better....
we dont want to concrete it to the ground.. and we would like it to be moveable.

so here is my idea for now..
i was thinking 4x4 boards for all 4 legs than 2x4's for the rest of the wood other than the thin boards to keep rain out on top..
was thinking of useing long screws instead of nails so maybe it would last longer and look better. and was planning on useing some kind of deck and porch weatherseal so it lasts awhile..

any suggestions?? :thmbsp:

Attachments

• GAZEBO PLAN1.png
    GAZEBO PLAN1.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 77
Oh, it will be movable alright if you don't secure it somehow and any moderate to strong wind will probably relocate it for you. If you have ever tried carrying a sheet of plywood on a breezy day you will know what I am talking about.

yup i know what you mean.
i think it would be ok if it slides over somewhere.. but i just dont want it to flip over and break or damage our house..
think i would have to drill holes in our patio and secure it there?

If that is where you plan to use it. Is your patio a wood deck? Or concrete? You should also check with building codes for your area before you start to build. Might save you some time, money, and headaches.

Kewl ! But 'round here, waspers 'n' hornets seem to be unnaturally attracted to Gazoobas... Be careful...

the patio is concrete.. and thanks! yes i will be sure to look into that.
not too worried about wasps and such.. i'l give em a good slap :D
pictures of our patio and picnic table as soon as i wake up tomorrow.

do you guys think that maybe a metal rod of maybe a two feet or more halfway into the congrete/ground than into the center of the 4x4 on each leg would keep it put through high winds?
something like this?

Attachments

• gazebo leg post1.png
    gazebo leg post1.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 24
They sell things at Lowes or Home Depot that are similar to dog tie-downs. They are basically a giant screw that you drive into the ground that has an eye on top. You can use about four of these and some rope to help secure it to the ground. We used this idea for my parents gazebo during the last hurricane and it didn't budge. Of course, that thing is so heavy that you can't move it without a fork lift with long extensions, so maybe the tie-downs were unnecessary.

heres the pics as promised.. although i forgot to do it right away..

Attachments

• SANY1062.jpg
    SANY1062.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 68
  • SANY1063.jpg
    SANY1063.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 54
  • SANY1064.jpg
    SANY1064.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 60
To make it heavy enouh for wind safety is going to mean its really too heavy to move and if you do it may flex and lose strength. There are some fantastic metal canopy ideas aswell as adjustable umbrella ideas that are very functional, adjustable and portable. Unless you make it a fixed structure you may want to look in another direction. BTW congrats on table!!!

tyvm!
i think we have decided on drilling a small hole into the patio than driving a rod down into the ground.. than fastening the legs to the rods..
think maybe that might keep it put..

i am only estimating.. but sixteen 2x4's, four 4x4's and some 10x1's would be the approx amount of lumber used.. without much leftover.. idk howmuch that is going to weigh.. also some extra weight from screws and the weathertreatment stuff.
but i plan on first making the frame for the whole thing.. than weathertreating that.. than doing the roof another day.. so if its not really heavy and hard to move. maybe i will look into some kind of take off roof that we can use if its really windy or about to storm. i dont really want to use a tarp because that might not be verry durable. and wouldent look too good.. any ideas for a removeable roof?

your 1 X 10 lumber will not behave as you hope it will in this application in various ways...it will not effectively span anything close to those distances being the primary one..I can't imagine even very stout plywood not being supported and nailed or screwed at least every four feet, and you'd play hell trying to nail any sort of roofing onto unsupported 2 X 10 spanning that far, let alone flimsier lumber....the portability and wind resistance aspects are shaky, too..I would suggest you build from a properly devised framing plan, as winging something like this isn't advisable for anyone but the most seasoned carpenters, if them...good luck

yes i decided after the drawing i posted that there should be atleast one more support running up the middle side up to the top on each side. .. i was wanting to sorta lay them atop eachother like shingles so the rain would run off..

i am happy you posted this information.. all the plans i was finding on the internet were circular shaped Gazebo's i couldent find any rectangular shaped ones..
not only that but they were all up off of the ground some distance.
do you guys think it might be better if i cement a 5 or 10 gallon bucket to each 4x4 and just make it a permanent Gazebo? than break off the bucket later ofcoarce?
and maybe use bolts and nuts to attach the 4x4 to the roof and rest of the Gazebo (just incase it ever needs to move or come down)

do you think maybe this looks a bit better?
my next door neighbor is a carpenter.. i will ask him i guess, and see what he thinks..

Attachments

• gazebo2 flat side.png
    gazebo2 flat side.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 29
That does look better.

It needs to be achored TO the ground, that rod you showed is going to pull out of one or the other in a wind unless it's threaded or otherwise secured.

If it's on concrete you can use an L bracket at the bottom, drill the concrete with a hammer drill and put in some studs made for existing concrete and bolt the brackets to them. Use lag screws into the post. OR, get a square 'post base' made for existing concrete, one stud in the center into the concrete secures it to the ground, and metal brackets go up either side for screwing into the post. That might be enough for this.

If you have a Lowe's or a Home Depot (Public Library?) go and look at the DIY books on building patios, etc. before you settle on anything or start spending money on materials. Most people around here will build a patio cover by extending off the existing roof or fascia board using 4x6 posts, 2x6's, 1/2" OSB roof sheathing, roofing felt, asphalt shingles, trim board,etc. With help, it can usually be done on a weekend or two.

for the roof
5/8 plywood is only good for 2' span with 45 lb/sq ft snow loading...
don't use the 1 x 10 for the roof
and you still need joist or some sort of support to bridge the span and secure it to

you can find wood weights on the internet

the 4x4's should be fine
it's the connections that count, screw everything except the shingles...
use brackets/hangers designed for the purpose (column to floor, column to beam, joist to beam, etc.)

your uplift wind load may be as high as 35 lb/sq foot
~3500 lbs up in a stiff wind 80+ mph or so
so it needs to be fastened down that much less the wt of the structure
just eyeballin' it figure 12 lb/sq for for the roof/etc. ~1200 lbs
so each post will need to restrain (3500 - 1200)/4 ~ 575 lb, with a 40% safety use 800 lb

preferably make it placed permanently, anchor the columns, either embed in concrete or use suitable fasteners/brackets (simpson, etc.) to bolt it to the concrete deck

go to the library, get a basic book on wood construction
a good reference is the this http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.pdf USDA wood engineering manual 480+ pages, lol
but it's got everything

ThankYou Verrymuch!! this is great info!!
i will look around for some kind of plans.. than talk to my neighbor who is a construction worker.. and as soon as i have a new plan, or idea.. i will be right back here!
thanks for the great advice guys!

From the looks of the table, you've got skills. Now that you are going to put weight above your (and other's) head make sure you do it the right and safe way. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom