homemade gazebo.. my first time.

we now have the gazebo in place. and bolted down..
i want to start on the roof asap.. but i looked up prices online.. and i think i am looking at about $250 bucks to shingle this 2x 8x14" area..
do you guys think a metal roof or any other material might be cheaper??

If you don't already have the roof sheathing on you might want to consider metal roofing. You won't need the sheathing then and can offset the cost of the metal roofing with the savings. 8' X 2' metal roofing can be had for just over $20.00 per piece.

It may be lighter in the long run too.

ok so that is about $360. to cover the whole top i think.. 10x14 x2 total area,,
so 280sq feet to cover... devided by 16sq feet per metal roofing.. i need atleast 18 sheets of it.. so 18x $20. $360.. unless i did my math wrong..

my neighbor said, i would need 9 bags of shingles to do the roof.. and i need another two pieces of plywood.. plus the roll of tar.. i would probably be looking at about $200+ to do the roof in shingles..
or could my math be wrong??

honestly i think the absolute cheapest would be to shingle long boards atop eachother.. but idk how long that would last.. even with weathertreatment.

ok i asked my neighbor and he said just go with the shingles.. well i looked in our shed and i found a roll of that tar paper stuff.. do you think one roll would be enough to cover the whole roof??
i am supposed to go to the store here soon to get the rest of the roofing materials..
i have $300. on hand..
now i am going to try and get 2 of the plywood pieces 4x8' and all the nails i need.. than the shingles.. my neighbor says i am going to need 8 bundles.. and a extra bundle to do the peak at the top. so 8 total... does that sound about right?
oh btw i have 2 of the plywood pieces on top now.. i was able to put them horizontally. sence both pieces side to side make 16ft.. i left a foot hang over at each end because it is only 14ft side to side.. i'l grab two 2x4's to attach to the end so it isnt flimsy.
total roof area is 229sq feet.

What is a bundle of Owens-Corning shingles running in your neck of the woods? I t takes 3 bundles to cover 100 sq. ft. of area.

When I built my shed I spent about $140-150 to cover the roof. The roof of my shed measures 6x15 per side which comes to 180 sq. ft. Looks like you have 100 sq. ft. more to do than what I did so your $200 is probably close.

ok i asked my neighbor and he said just go with the shingles.. well i looked in our shed and i found a roll of that tar paper stuff.. do you think one roll would be enough to cover the whole roof??
i am supposed to go to the store here soon to get the rest of the roofing materials..
i have $300. on hand..
now i am going to try and get 2 of the plywood pieces 4x8' and all the nails i need.. than the shingles.. my neighbor says i am going to need 8 bundles.. and a extra bundle to do the peak at the top. so 8 total... does that sound about right?
oh btw i have 2 of the plywood pieces on top now.. i was able to put them horizontally. sence both pieces side to side make 16ft.. i left a foot hang over at each end because it is only 14ft side to side.. i'l grab two 2x4's to attach to the end so it isnt flimsy.
total roof area is 229sq feet.

15# or 30# roofing felt? One roll of the 15# will be more than enough but I recommend the 30# felt. Don't recall how much 30# will cover but I think it might be enough to do yours. The 30# felt sells for $20 a roll here. Lowe's only had the 36" wide rolls and I would suggest you go to Home Depot. I think they carry 39" wide rolls.

What is a bundle of Owens-Corning shingles running in your neck of the woods? I t takes 3 bundles to cover 100 sq. ft. of area.

well i checked home depot and cant find that type of shingles..
i dont really like lowes because there prices seem to be higher than home depot by a decient margin.

all of the 3tab shingles at home depot are 18.55 a bundle.. does that sound reasonable?
for the area you said and the price you estimated you spent.. that would mean you spent less than $25 per bundle??

Last edited:
just bought all the wood/roofing materials i think i am going to need. taking a break before i start puting on more plywood. its hot outside now.. and those shingles and plywood have some weight to them..
i have a 3x16 space that needs plywood at the lower end of each side.. so i bought 3 pieces 4x8 pieces of plywood.. i figured the extra foot off of each board would be enough to fill that 4th 3x8 space.. i wont be able to stagger that spot.. but if it is just to keep good stregnth.. i think i could possibly add 2x4 scraps under the plywood and trusses if it is nessisary.. i grabbed 8 bundles of shingles.. if 3 bundles is 100sq feet. and i have 226 sq ft to fill that would mean i have about 75-26= 49sq feet extra shingles... that i will probably use for the verry top where trusses meet..

total spent was 239.52 for all roofing material.. and nails. and several 2x4's and i grabbed some untreated half inch fence type lumber it was a buck thirty each.. i was planning to layer that like shingles on the sides in that triangle area (overlaping) (and leave a small gap between them so air can still pass through. than give it some thick weathertreatment.. i think that will make it look real nice.

Last edited:
just bought all the wood/roofing materials i think i am going to need. taking a break before i start puting on more plywood. its hot outside now.. and those shingles and plywood have some weight to them..
i have a 3x16 space that needs plywood at the lower end of each side.. so i bought 3 pieces 4x8 pieces of plywood.. i figured the extra foot off of each board would be enough to fill that 4th 3x8 space.. i wont be able to stagger that spot.. but if it is just to keep good stregnth.. i think i could possibly add 2x4 scraps under the plywood and trusses if it is nessisary.. i grabbed 8 bundles of shingles.. if 3 bundles is 100sq feet. and i have 226 sq ft to fill that would mean i have about 75-26= 49sq feet extra shingles... that i will probably use for the verry top where trusses meet..

total spent was 239.52 for all roofing material.. and nails. and several 2x4's and i grabbed some untreated half inch fence type lumber it was a buck thirty each.. i was planning to layer that like shingles on the sides in that triangle area (overlaping) (and leave a small gap between them so air can still pass through. than give it some thick weathertreatment.. i think that will make it look real nice.

Those are called "ridge caps" and each full shingle will yield 3 caps each. Use a sharp utility blade (replace often) and cut each tab from the back side and not the mineral side at about a 15 degree taper. Don't need to be precise just close enough . Will you be using any drip edge at the rake and eaves? If so, you should nail the drip edge on each eaves side first, then staple your roofing felt starting from the bottom and work your way up to the peak. Leave about a 1/4" overhang at each end and at the eave edge. After you have applied your felt attach the drip edge on top of the felt at each rake side. Once you do that you will be ready to attach your shingles.

Attachments

• Ridge caps.jpg
    Ridge caps.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 8
thank you very much pioneervato!! you have been very helpfull!!
if you could explain that a bit more that would be really great! what exactially are ridge caps used for? and where do they go? those the ones that go at the verry top and fold over?? which end is the one that is smaller is that the end that is going on top of the previous one?? and then the angle is to make water on it run down instead of sideways under the shingle?? so would that mean they go together like this??

Attachments

• roof 1.jpg
    roof 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 9
ok so i got all the plywood up and on.. i didnt have time to do the shingles like i wanted to today.. i just hope it doesent rain tonight.. there is a chance of light thunderstorms right in the middle of the day tomorrow.. should i try and get some tarps or something up there to protect the plywood??
i am however going to need to run to the store again tomorrow and get 2 more 2x4 boards..

i didnt plan on useing a drip edge.. do you think thats nessisary? i was going to leave a about a inch of overhang all the way around so most of the water would just fall of the shingle.. that is how our shed is done.. that wood was painted and it is still going strong atleast 10years later.. however the wood is faded some..
i was going to add alot of weathertreatment on the outer 2x4 boards so it would last as long as possible.. if you think the drip edge is nessisary, i will try and find that in a black or wood color if possible..
i know i promised pics earlyier.. i was pretty tied up.. here are some of todays work.

in the third photo i pointed out where the two 8 foot pieces of plywood attach to eachother.. to make it stronger i added a second truss attached to the on right in the middle with screws.. and alot of them.. so that they both stay together and sturdy.

btw: that goofy rope thing is one of two hanging chairs we brought home with us from mexico.. i think under here, in the shade will be a good place for them.. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• SANY1103.jpg
    SANY1103.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
  • SANY1104.jpg
    SANY1104.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 9
  • SANY1105 tress.jpg
    SANY1105 tress.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
  • SANY1106.jpg
    SANY1106.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 12
  • SANY1107.jpg
    SANY1107.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
thank you very much pioneervato!! you have been very helpfull!!
if you could explain that a bit more that would be really great! what exactially are ridge caps used for? and where do they go? those the ones that go at the verry top and fold over?? which end is the one that is smaller is that the end that is going on top of the previous one?? and then the angle is to make water on it run down instead of sideways under the shingle?? so would that mean they go together like this??

Nope, the other way around. The reason you taper the tabs a bit is so that the other shingle going on top hides the second layer somewhat. It looks better that way.

Start at one end and put a nail on each side of the tab far enough back that the next tab will cover the nails. Repeat the process until you get to the other end. You can dab some rooofing cement on the exposed nail heads on the last ridge shingle to keep water from seeping through.

Since it is a gazebo you can forego the drip edge. 1/2" overhang should do fine.

Edit: Just remember that the ridge caps go on last after you shingle both sides of your roof. Just in case I did not make that clear. If you have any questions on how to start the shingles you can post here and maybe I can provide a visual explanation later today.

BTW- It is looking pretty good.

Attachments

• Ridge shingle.jpg
    Ridge shingle.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
ok thanks!! i have started already.. i googled how to shingle a roof and found out how to start each side at the bottom, and how to go from there... they didnt really explain too well how to do the top.. atleast not enough for a visual learner like me..
btw, i have it alittle less than a 4th of the way done.. one side is about halfway...
my neighbor told me to do without the felt tar paper stuff. he said that is only used to protect the wood incase you ever need to reshingle it, there wont be tar stuck to the wood,, and i dont have a staplegun either.. so i just stuck them straight to the plywood.. and also this way i know where the nails are, so i can be sure to avoid them..
i started this morning, trying to get atleast one side done before it starts to rain..
this is hard work!! putting them up there, lining them up, and nailing them down is easy.. but its hard on my ankels, and shoulders. i got sunburn already, and my ankles feel like they are sprung..
btw i made the pitch of the roof 80degrees, so it is a bit steap..
but aslong as it doesent rain i think i can finish the roof today.. there is a 70% chance of rain today.. sofar no clouds overhead..

Hey, I know the feeling. At 53 my knees just aint what they used to be but once you get started it goes pretty quick.

i guess i started during the hottest part of the day... the begining was murder.. and i didnt put on any sunscreen,, i have made one side althoway up to the peak, and now have gotten the first 3 layers on the other side done.. it seems to be getting easyier.. although i am doing the whole roof by myself.. :mad:
i am taking my second break now.. my back feels like it is being streached.. and burnt.. this is probably the worst sunburn i have had..
i will post some pics later.. *not of my back :D

oh btw.. i realise i didnt have the tresses completely level, so the plywood didnt go on evenly, and the pieces that were from my neighbor must if have swelled because they are alittle bit thicker than the 3 i bought yesterday,,
although it is barely noticeable.. there are some imperfections..

now that i am almost done with the gazebo, everything other than the electric, weather treatment and several brackets..
i realise that there are quite a few things i would of have done differently in the design,, especially the way i have the 4x4 posts attached to the rest of the frame. i would of have made the angle'd supports thicker perhaps with 2x6 and made them out further and even with eachother.. it wobbles a tiny bit now.. so i am probably going to redo those supports and fix that problem..
with all the effort i put into this i want it to last a while.

my neighbor bought alot of gravel to do his driveway and had alot of extra,, told us we could have it.. so we are making a border around the bottom of the gazebo with bricks just beyond the 4x4 posts, than going to fill the internal space under the gazebo with the gravel...
than some time later we will plant flowers outside the bricks. around the gazebo.

break number 3.. OMG sunburn!!
it did rain.. but for only like 30 seconds.. i feel ready to take a nap.. but i am so close to being done.. 2 rows left on one side, and then the peak!!
i am definely ready to call it a night.. i cant imagine putting on weathertreatment tonight.. and tomorrow is my mom's birthday.. this is like a present kinda..
i really want to finish it tonight.. but.. even my knees are really stating to ache.. oh.. and i scraped up my shoulder carying bundles of shingles up a ladder..
this is definetly the hardest part of the job..
and i have been doing the crab walk when going up and down over the shingles :D
making sure not to tear anything.

oh i found this interesting.. some dark heavy clouds were passing over us.. and were directly above us.. and passed over us without any rain drops.. than about 4 minutes later after the sky was clear again,, all the rain started comming down.. i guess it took that long for them to reach the ground..

Well if I lived closer I would have come over and given you a hand or at least given you some inspiration while I sat in the shade drinking some nice cold ice tea! :D

Well if I lived closer I would have come over and given you a hand or at least given you some inspiration while I sat in the shade drinking some nice cold ice tea! :D

haha.. thx :D well as bad as my knees hurt now.. i wouldent reallty like you having to get up there and go through that.. its all done now.. PHEW!!
going to run to the store now to grab several pieces of wood and some screws so i can do some minor cosmetic work tomorrow.. than when my mom gets off of work her birthday present will be pretty and finished..
there is one minor imperfection though.. where the boards wernt completely even there is a hump that sticks out like a sore thumb.. wish i would of have known about that before i started shingleing..
i will post some pics asap.. i am about to fall down atm.. lol..
but i think it was definetly worth it..
i thank everyone here for helping me through this.. i will continue to post pictures as it comes along.. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom