Homemade Record Cleaner Solution

Anthony Z

So the spray solutions that come with the microfiber brushes - the solutions you use to moisten the bristles - are they different than the solutions you would use on deeper cleans? I.e., are they more diluted or something?

Looking to make my own of whatever that stuff is. Was planning on using distilled water, 99% isopropyl, and triton x100... Assuming these are the right ingredients for a bristle-moistening solution, what ratio should I use?

Thanks!

AZ

For the bristle moistening solution, I'd use something that didn't require rinsing. Any surfactant would require a rinse.

That would be my recommendation, and a dilute percentage as well.

So the spray solutions that come with the microfiber brushes - the solutions you use to moisten the bristles - are they different than the solutions you would use on deeper cleans? I.e., are they more diluted or something?

Looking to make my own of whatever that stuff is. Was planning on using distilled water, 99% isopropyl, and triton x100... Assuming these are the right ingredients for a bristle-moistening solution, what ratio should I use?

Thanks!

AZ
What I use to actually wash records is 3 parts distilled water(12 oz.), 1 part 91% Iso. alcohol (4 oz.) and 3 drops of dishwashing liquid to act as a surfactant.
I don't use a cleaning brush anymore, I use the Rolling Cleaner from Nagaoka.

Greetings and welcome to AK if not 'welcomed'
a formula link and reading is a bit tough but his dilution ratio's are good otherwise he would not have published.
Home recipe for record cleaning | LondonJazzCollector

I have all the mix stuff and 'flo-trol' for wetting as a response said 'he' used same as wetting agent. I have the brushes and the Canadian shop vac 3-d printed 'machine' with the vac attachments etc. I don't have 99% isop. but good stuff over 93%. I think the most important is condition of record and speed you can judge on a bad record or a rarely used one. So the application and speed would be faster for a 'not so bad cut but a fast pass might be all it needs? then the flip is a cut that needs a couple of applications.

So the 'aside' is' hmmm maybe I should use less in application but not vary the formulation mix ratio's. I suppose humidity and fast drying may be a larger factor to consider in techniques.

Back
Top Bottom