HomePod strereo

archie2

Addicted Member
Hooked up 2 HomePods in L/R stereo. Good quality and spacious sound but not exactly "room filling" as Apple describes it. Would not replace a good stereo system no would I pay $700. for a pair. However the sound is clear, clean, detailed and well dispersed, good separation, with deep, clean but not booming bass. One advantage over a conventional stereo is that every spot is a sweet spot. I expect the sound would be even better with a clean source. I'll A-B the HomePods with my Altec 345A and A/D/S L520 speakers or Wharfedale 70E's one of these days for comparison.

Last edited:
Hooked up 2 HomePods in L/R stereo. Good quality and spacious sound but not "room filling" as Apple describes it. Would not replace a good stereo system no would I pay $700. for a pair. However the sound is clear, clean, detailed and well dispersed, good separation, with deep, clean but not booming bass. One advantage over a conventional stereo is that every spot is a sweet spot. I expect the sound would be even better with a clean source. I'll A-B the HomePods with my Altec 345A and A/D/S L520 speakers or Wharfedale 70E's one of these days for comparison.

OTOH a good stereo would cost quite a bit more than $700. so all in all it's a good bargain in comparison. And you can't beat the convenience factor but having no aux input you're limited to the Apple device input. Not good.

Last edited:
Waiting for the next eBay promo to snap up my second HomePod. I'll run the pair in stereo for a bit just to test the waters. If hospitable, and my impaired hearing shows no signs of improving, all the big speakers get gone along with their dedicated two-channel electronics. Strictly serving and streaming to the smart speaks from then on in. I'll put the proceeds into the stock market where they'll be safe as a baby in its mother's arms...

Waiting for the next eBay promo to snap up my second HomePod. I'll run the pair in stereo for a bit just to test the waters. If hospitable, and my impaired hearing shows no signs of improving, all the big speakers get gone along with their dedicated two-channel electronics. Strictly serving and streaming to the smart speaks from then on in. I'll put the proceeds into the stock market where they'll be safe as a baby in its mother's arms...

There is a difference in sound dispersion and coverage with L/R HomePods over a single one. But it's not as pronounced as if you did the same with a single mono speaker and added a second one for stereo. Best Buy runs a sale of HomePods at $299.99 from time to time. In fact they are running that sale now in the RI area. And you can buy an open box one for $278.99. Been thinking of doing the same with all my conventional stereo electronics too. At 81 it really is time to minimize.

Found a pair on local CL for $200 each, one with AppleCare and both with original boxes and store receipts (so still under warranty). Only wrinkle is they're white instead of dark gray like my existing one (and would stick out like a sore thumb in our decor, according to the warden).

Found a pair on local CL for $200 each, one with AppleCare and both with original boxes and store receipts (so still under warranty). Only wrinkle is they're white instead of dark gray like my existing one (and would stick out like a sore thumb in our decor, according to the warden).

Nice price. You can always use the different colors to differentiate R and L speaker. Both of mine are white so I left the cellophane on the top of one to differentiate. Not to say you can't switch L and R. Finally found the EQ, such as it is.

Last edited:
I figure $200 is right about where BB open-box with 20% eBay coupon will come in at. But that's without the $39 AppleCare package which I think might make sense for an additional year of warranty with 2 accidental incidents included (with $39 co-pay) and phone support for all things Apple music serving (for whatever that's worth). To get Apple to repair a HomePod out of warranty is pretty steep at $279 (i.e. significantly more than I will have paid for the unit in the first place).

Love colorizing L/R. No, my OTHER white...

Back
Top Bottom