Homer Simpson, Stones, Kravitz, Tom Petty, Setzer,Costello team up tonight

AudioLancelot

Omniscientist
Homer Simpson, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards team up
Homer, Jagger team up on The Simpsons

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Homer Simpson will make his rock 'n' roll dreams come true in the fall, with some help from Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

The Simpsons will start its 14th season on Sunday, Nov. 10, with an episode featuring Rolling Stones Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, along with rockers Tom Petty, Brian Setzer, Lenny Kravitz and Elvis Costello.

The episode, titled How I Spent My Strummer Vacation, has Homer going to a rock 'n' roll fantasy camp.

With scores of guest stars over the past 13 years, the cast has seen a famous face or two. Everyone from Paul McCartney to U2 to Elizabeth Taylor has lent a voice to the animated series, but Jagger's presence at the studio caused a stir.

"That was very exciting," Yeardley Smith, the voice of Lisa Simpson, told The Associated Press. "I mean, these people are larger than life. It's peculiar to be in the same room with them. You start to see them as people, which I think is good, but it doesn't take the gloss off it at all. It's still kind of like, 'Wow, you're Mick Jagger.' It's still pretty stunning."

Smith got up the nerve to introduce herself to the Rolling Stones icon, but her awe was met with indifference.

"I said, 'Hi, I'm Yeardley Smith. I do the voice of Lisa. Really glad you could come today. Welcome.' And he said, 'Yeah,'" she said. "I never know how much to sort of get in there. Does that feel intrusive to them? You know, I'm far too codependent to really overstep my bounds."

Smith had no problem getting an autograph, though.

"Any guest star that comes on the show, they have to sign 80 script covers or something so that everybody who's on the show - all the writers and the producers and the actors - all get a signed script for them. Then we the actors also sign script for them," she said.

The series will also mark its milestone 300th episode next year with a half-hour featuring skate god Tony Hawk and Blink 182. Its intriguing title: Barting Over.

Other guest voices slated to pop up soon include the following:

- Adam West and Burt Ward reprising their roles as Batman and Robin, respectively, in Nov. 24's Large Marge. Jan Hooks of Saturday Night Live fame will also appear.

- Good golly! Little Richard will pop up on the Dec. 15 episode Special Edna.

- David Lander -- think Squiggy from Laverne & Shirley -- is set for the first episode of 2003. He'll play himself, not Squiggy.

- Elliott Gould will also play himself in The Dad Who Knew Too Little, set to air Jan. 1

Back
Top Bottom