Honda Accord Extented Warrenty Plans , Any Deals to be Had ?

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
The wife and I have made a deal on a new 2018 Honda Accord Sport 6 sp manual 2.0t . Is there any reason to get the extended warrenty and is there any deals to be had on extended warranties ?

Deals are subjective.
One school of thought is that aftermarket coverage shouldn't be necessary.
That said.
Some plans include some (partial?) Scheduled maintenance .
Some can only be used at the dealer you bought from.
Others nationally.
Then there are deductibles, exclusions....
You really need to know what you're buying.
Dealers tend to do hard sells on their plans.
If you qualify for AARP or are a member of AAA, you may have access to cheaper (better?) Alternatives .
I'm not sure but consumers report may rate them also .
You have to do a little homework.
One other thought . I don't know if it applies to you . I have seen certain plans sold with the premise that if you don't use for the entire time of the plan. The full amount is refunded to you at end. (I think that's rare but I've seen it.

The question is how much you need to avoid sudden, large, non-normal-warrantied repair costs/inconveniences, or how risk averse you are.
See if you can find an Accord forum.
I got one with my 06 Ridgeline, but mostly b/c it was a new 'untested' model, and was my first Honda.
The Ridgeline Owners Club was chock full of helpful info on that topic (and others).
For instance, they moved production from Canada to the US, and the first few years out of the new plant had quite a few (minor but really annoying) problems...all of which I learned about on the ROC forum.
I gather that if you shop around you might save a bit, but if you plan on staying with a particular dealer for service, having it can simply eliminate questions about 'who pays' on some little things - with my dealer it was a bit like being in a 'platinum club'.
In my case, it's turned out the Ridge is so well designed & bolted together it's hardly needed any service, and only a few minor items were covered by the extended warranty. At that time they also offered several different extended warranties; I got the cheapest/shortest, around $600 IRCC, for 5 years? Little did I know that 13yrs later it would still be looking, and driving, like new, gol' darn it.
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have spent the money, but still think it was a good risk mitigation strategy at the time.
Those new Accords look sweet - and with a manual box? Sweeter!! Have fun with it!!!

An extended warranty is not worth the money especially on a Honda. Honda has a 3 year 36K mile bumper to bumper and any defect should come to light by then. My Honda dealer throws in a 100K drive train warranty for free but it's unlikely any covered parts would fail during that period. Your clutch could fail depending on how you use it but it should reach 100K+ and wouldn't be an expensive repair.

I have a 2014 Accord Sport and I suggest a synthetic oil change by 40% on your oil life minder. That's around 7K miles and it's an easy diy.

Depends a lot on how long you intend to keep a vehicle vs what the duration of the factory warranty is. Hondas (in general) have a pretty good long-term reliability reputation, so it may simply boil down to the price and how much additional coverage/services included with the optional warranty. The "big ticket" items (basic drivetrain--engine/tranny) are IIRC covered for 5/50K which is nothing for a typical Honda, and the drivetrain components are not new--they have been used in other models in previous models years w/o any major issues reported.

My biggest concern would be the electronics--power assist features, infotainment and adaptive safety features, and the HVAC system (apparently, the A/C is limited to 2 years in the factory warranty).

One of the most expensive repairs on any car is the automatic transmission as it's even more complex than the engine. Having a manual transmission you have already avoided that potential repair. You probably got a better deal on the Sport as most come with CVT's.

I bought the (genuine) 8 year Honda warranty for my 2018 Accord from a dealer in Mass., who sold it to me for $1,080, less than half of the offer from my dealer. I did the deal by phone. Either of these get good reviews on the accord forum: https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/
Saccucci Honda of Rhode Island
http://www.Saccuccihondacare.com/

Hyannis Honda of Massachusetts
http://Hyannishondacare.com/

Apparently they get incentives from Honda based upon the many warranties that they sell, basically at cost. I bought the warranty because of all of the electronic nonsense that came with the car.

You don't have to buy the extended warranty when you actually buy the vehicle, the dealership will tell you that so the salesman can get the commission. So play it by ear, if you getting close the the end of the factory warranty and the think your going to have problems go buy an extended warranty, if the car is running fine then save your money. But a Honda with a six speed I would not spend the money.

Graham

Thanks for the replys . The miles come on quickly with the wifes job . Our 2014 Ford Fusion has 97,000 miles since we bought it new in April of 2014 . 99% of that was Interstate driving . We did buy it with the extended warrenty . Never needed it though .

I've owned 2 Accords, a 1996 and a 2005. Both have been extremely trouble free. We'll be replacing the 2005 soon with another Honda, and I would never consider buying an extended warranty.

We recently needed the seat belt replaced due to an intermittent switch. Honda still covered it on a car over 10 years old and long out of warranty. Most auto manufacturers have secret warranties on some items, especially if it is safety related.

I have seen certain plans sold with the premise that if you don't use for the entire time of the plan. The full amount is refunded to you at end. (I think that's rare but I've seen it.
Yup. I got one for my 2006. They make money on those because you have a window of ONE month to apply and get your money back after 7 years. The company who offered our Honda warranty went out of business. But Honda honored it with a refund in 2013. Never needed it. Still have the car and STILL don't need it. I bought a 2014 Accord too and don't have one. These things are just breaking in at 100,000. A 2009 Civic is still humming along too with no issues. I gave that one to my daughter.
My wife has a 2000 Accord. A stick. Still runs fine. You can't beat them for value. I'd never get another make.

( And Phoenix, I drove from LBI to Burlington and stopped for gas. I got 48 mpg for that 55 mile trip in the newer one. Amazing.)

Op.. probably don't need it. And the 6 speed manual is rare.
And if it is offered, buy the 10 oil changes deal. It's a bargain. Mine was 175. Try getting a synthetic oil change for 17.50. Anywhere.

Last edited:
I remember with both my '92 Civic and '97 CR-V that we had the phone spam about two weeks after buying. It was like when I bought my Maytag appliances--I told the callers I bought the Honda so I didn't need an extended warranty. The '92 lasted 145k until my ex wrecked it, and I still have the '97 at 290k miles that in 21 years (this coming August 18th) has never had a major repair either. Anything I've done has been either wear, age, or these terrible effing Michigan roads that tear up our vehicles. And no warranty is going to cover any of that.

Some extended warranties won't cover the check engine light. If something expensive is going to happen with a Honda it will probably be some $$$ sensor or a fail on a smog check.
Other than a throttle body sensor and a new starter I took a 2002 Honda CRV from 70,000 miles to 303,000 miles in 9 years. I was able to get around replacing the catalytic converter because every so often the check engine light would go off for a day or two during smog check time. I dodged that repair for about 5 years. I never did get the catalytic converter replaced. Right not I have a 2008 Honda accord with 135k on it still running great and a 2010 Honda Civic approaching 150,000 miles. My previous two Hondas have made it past 280K.

I bought the (genuine) 8 year Honda warranty for my 2018 Accord from a dealer in Mass., who sold it to me for $1,080, less than half of the offer from my dealer. I did the deal by phone. Either of these get good reviews on the accord forum: https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/
Saccucci Honda of Rhode Island
http://www.Saccuccihondacare.com/

Hyannis Honda of Massachusetts
http://Hyannishondacare.com/

Apparently they get incentives from Honda based upon the many warranties that they sell, basically at cost. I bought the warranty because of all of the electronic nonsense that came with the car.
You are right . I was quoted more than double that for our Accord . Mrs Z drives a bunch of miles . In 50 months , she is just shy of 100,000 miles on her Fusion . Mostly Interstate miles .

Most auto manufacturers have secret warranties on some items, especially if it is safety related.

Those "secret" warranties are not really secret--they are federally mandated. Certain safety and emissions items are required to be covered long beyond the basic manufacturer bumper-to-bumper or drivetrain warranty.

My buddy had a Hyundai that was 10 years old and 100,000 mile and the front coil spring broke . They paid for the towing , spring and the tire that was damaged .

I agree that warranty would be a waste especially with the 6sp. Just use synthetics and change more often than the computer says (important for stop and go and short trip driving) . Also change the trans fluid and (differential if needed ), coolant, and brake fluid regularly for best reliable and long life service for the least $ overall.

Back
Top Bottom