Honda CT125 - any experience with??

krimney

I picked up a 1977 ct125, also know as a trail 125. Seems to run well but has been sitting for years and needs some tlc. lights are not working but could be due to no battery and what may be a burnt component and/or a wire off.
said component is wired in so can not be easily removed and wire off...I can find no where to attach it so wonder if it may not be in use as parts may be shared with other models.
If you have some experience with this model or perhaps some of the other trail models from Honda, help would be much appreciated. I have a few photos that may help too.

I had to google that model # to see what it was. Very cool looking bike that I've never seen before. I bet it's almost the same mechanically and electrically as an XL125 of the same year. You found that in Canada?

I have three old Hondas but nothing similar to that one.

ct 90/110 were a bike similar to the old dream that had the 90/110 motors....77 would be a 90. There was a 125cc version of the same motor and it didnt take me long to figure out that the ATC125 motor fits easy in the frame with a headlight change to handle the 12v and a starter button, but I was unaware honda built one in the CT class - at least for the US, unless this is a different animal altogether. there was an SL line of bikes, 150/175cc come to mind I did a couple of those (60's/ early 70s) but Im not off the top of my head recalling an sl125....got a pic?

edited to add: I just looked up pics and yes, it appears to be an on/off version of the SL more so than the xl. And I thought I knew old small hondas...

Last edited:
Original Canada Bike

From what I can gather on the net, this model was only available in N.A. for one year but was popular in Australia for many years.
This one has a Scona Cycle sticker on it which was/is a store in Edmonton. It was in my brothers neighbors garage that he was clearing out. Had not been started in years. Brother checked the oil, dumped in some gas and away it went...he called me and I rode it home that day. About 2 miles.
Air filter foam is crumbling, the 6v battery is dry, and the lights don't work. Tires look original. So it needs a little TLC but it does not smoke, starts easily and should be a fun little bike.
I think it is pretty similar to an XL but with a different seat, enclosed chain and different frame color.
40 yrs ago I so wished I had a little Honda, now I have one and can hopefully get my grandson on it in about a decade:D

Will post some of the electrical pics once I get them off my phone.

Get a battery or put a capacitor in line in place of the battery. The lights will work once the engine is running.

pics

this is the part that looks burnt. it is attached to the top left corner of the battery tray.

Attachments

• 20150704_141434.jpg
    20150704_141434.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 19
green wire

here is the green wire that I can not seem to find a place to attach it to. To the right of the battery. white connector in center attaches to the battery.

Attachments

• 20150704_141503.jpg
    20150704_141503.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 14
the first pic seems like the regulator is toast. you have to renew it, its slides off that rubber housing it is in. maybe you have to renew the sliders as well, but check first. the second pic, the green wire, I believe leads to one of the rear indicators.

Back
Top Bottom