Honesty - always the best policy ?

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hey all,

I know the answer to my question is 'of course it is'. What I'm wondering though is how you guys would treat the following scenario -

A local second hand (no really thrift - a bit more up market) store always has records for sale. They are generally good to high quality, collectible titles which are graded. Recently, the co-owner of the store (and the guy who mainly grades / sells the records) has started putting out a clearance bin with titles that are still in nice condition but less collector value. This bin generally runs 3 to 5 bucks per title.

In the bin today, I found Madonna - True Blue on a limited edition blue vinyl and also Blondie - Eat To The Beat, also on blue vinyl. These two had no price tickets on them and I asked the owner (Rick) why they had no prices. He replied that he could not find any prices for them online and was still looking.

My question is - if my checks are correct and these are the versions I think they are - we could be talking $100+ for each title according to the Discogs market place. So, do I go back and make a low ball offer in the hope he accepts and then make off like a bandit or do I show him Discogs and the potential value in the hope that he cuts me some deal in the future ?

Records are scarce over here, especially good ones, so is it worth getting on with this guy in the hope of future deals - I'm thinking yes but would be interested in your opinions.

Maybe if you clue him in he may give you a deal. I would also say it depends somewhat on your financial situation, he may need it to stay in business. And then what if the shoe was on the other foot. Or maybe your checks aren't correct. I say enjoy the vinyl anyway.:beerchug:

I'd just pay whatever he wants for them...

If they are gone by the time you get back, he's figured it out also !!!

Go back and ask what he wants for them. Let the seller decide what he wants to do with his property. If they are in a bin they are for sale.

Honesty wise, your not responsible for the price he chooses to sell them for. Just like your not responsible for what kind of junk car he drives around. Today's social implications of telling a person what the best thing to do is severely misplaced !

Say nothing until he sets his price. It isn't dishonest if you know something he doesn't. He as a businessman is privy to the same information as you are as far as discogs is concerned. Should he not find that value and should he set a much lower price than you expect then hey - it isn't dishonest to buy them with him not having done his homework. I would never let him know the value even after he sets a price. That's capitalism. But if it bothers your conscience then you gotta do what feels right for you but consider what he got them for too.
He will still make some money and you hopefully will have a good score. If it was me I would have said, "These records were in the 3-4-5 bin so are they 3, 4 or 5?"

Last edited:
My question is - if my checks are correct and these are the versions I think they are - we could be talking $100+ for each title according to the Discogs market place. So, do I go back and make a low ball offer in the hope he accepts and then make off like a bandit or do I show him Discogs and the potential value in the hope that he cuts me some deal in the future ?
It seems as though your getting to know them in this store and that's a good thing to build a rapor and show your a good costumer.

I would go into the store and ask him if he's selling records why he's not using Discogs. Then show him how the site works and how to ID a title. Show him how to search the Madonna - True Blue, show him the price rang, and then go into the current sales and asking price.

Tell him the risk selling online, and the added cost giving Discogs money and his time packing and shipping.

If you all feel the top price is $200 for both, make an offer saying well I'm here now and I would give you $100, but you got to leave some meat on the bones for me incase I need to sell it later down the road.
This will show him your there for the long haul and will be a good costumer down the road and not afraid to spend money on his good finds.

I have a relationship with a local record store owner and one of his preferred costumers. I see records before they hit the floor, or when I'm there he'll break out some boxes to go though. The point is he takes care of me, saving the best that no one else has any idea it's even in the store.

Networking and establishing a relationship in fair trade with people goes a long ways.

I would offer him the high bin rate, and let him know you could help him with future pricing for access to new records before they hit the bins. This conversation will let you know if the bloke appreciates and is open for help with pricing, and lets you buy the two you want.

If they turn out to be quite valued, you can go back and give him more money, with the albums already in your hands. Valuation offers sometimes can be clumsy affairs, and handled wrong can be seen as throwing mud at the store "expert." I have seen this situation break both ways, so getting a good read on the other person can help you decide. There aren't too many record store guys stateside that would cut you a break these days, so I would not expect too much in return for giving him an inside to an extra couple hundred dollars.

If he turns out to be a great person - that is a different situation - but these blokes are few and far between today. I would not expect him to fall all over himself to help you out in the future unless he has the finances under control and is making a good living. A couple extra hundred helps pay for the month's electric bill, unless he offers you first pick gleaning through the used gear and records coming in.

Be honest, If you're having a internal conflit about this, it's because you're not feeling right to not tell. Do what you think is good.

You'll find what you're looking for anyway, and you'll gain respect.

i'm going to play devil's advocate here, and advise you to steal the record, hit the nice old guy over the head, and take his wallet on your way out.

seriously though, if he's running a record store and runs into a blue record, and then just throws it into the bargain bin, he's not really good at his job. i don't see a whole lot of non-black records.

Be honest, If you're having a internal conflit about this, it's because you're not feeling right to not tell. Do what you think is good.

You'll find what you're looking for anyway, and you'll gain respect.
Probably the best thing I'v seen you posting, respect grows and I respect you for saying that..

I saw the Madonna blue vinyl for between $30 and $80 in EBay completed sold sales, so don't price it above market for your area.

The store owner is a capitalist, if he doesn't know the value of his own goods to Hell with him. Honesty has nothing to do with this--you're not going to lie to him.

Yeah some of my picture disks (clear vinyl, obviously) have specific notes on them from the mfr saying that they won't sound as good as regular-issue vinyl.

It seems as though your getting to know them in this store and that's a good thing to build a rapor and show your a good costumer.

I would go into the store and ask him if he's selling records why he's not using Discogs. Then show him how the site works and how to ID a title. Show him how to search the Madonna - True Blue, show him the price rang, and then go into the current sales and asking price.

Tell him the risk selling online, and the added cost giving Discogs money and his time packing and shipping.

If you all feel the top price is $200 for both, make an offer saying well I'm here now and I would give you $100, but you got to leave some meat on the bones for me incase I need to sell it later down the road.
This will show him your there for the long haul and will be a good costumer down the road and not afraid to spend money on his good finds.

I have a relationship with a local record store owner and one of his preferred costumers. I see records before they hit the floor, or when I'm there he'll break out some boxes to go though. The point is he takes care of me, saving the best that no one else has any idea it's even in the store.

Networking and establishing a relationship in fair trade with people goes a long ways.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Be upfront about the potential value and work a deal from there. Hopefully, as you say, I will become a preferred customer over time.

The owner cut deal with a young guy whilst I was in the shop today. The young guy was selling a collection of Greatful Dead and Hawkwind. The owner said to me afterward that he can't wait to go through them all. He also did pull out a couple of ungraded boxes for me to go through and although mostly not my taste, I did pull out some XTC, Pretenders and Patti Smith for five bucks a piece :)

Back
Top Bottom