Hooking up a streight amp

ZR9B

I need a little input ( pun intended) ....so on my tandberg 1020 I wanted more power and I picked up a ramsa wp-1200. My question is on the back of the tandberg I removed the jumpers pre out to main in...does my amp go to the pre out? I would think so but I'm second guessing myself. Thanks

I need a little input ( pun intended) ....so on my tandberg 1020 I wanted more power and I picked up a ramsa wp-1200. My question is on the back of the tandberg I removed the jumpers pre out to main in...does my amp go to the pre out? I would think so but I'm second guessing myself. Thanks
Connect the pre-outs on the Tandberg to the amplifier inputs. Upon further inspection you'll need to use RCA to 1/4" adapters to connect the amplifier. You'll also need to set the level (gain) on the amplifier. :)

I have rca to the 3 pin jack...I was told they were better...I can't test it tonight....wife is sleeping. I hope the amp is a quality one as far as sound goes.

I have rca to the 3 pin jack...I was told they were better...I can't test it tonight....wife is sleeping. I hope the amp is a quality one as far as sound goes.
Well since you have the RCA>XLR adapter you're all set there. BTW there's no advantage to the RCA>XLR over the RCA>1/4". Let us know how it works out. :)

Sounds good but.....sure doesn't sound like 120wpc....the thing was louder without it. Gain is up full. Maybe I'm missing something. He has an nikko alfa 2 I could swap for but he said that has less wpc.....hmmmm

Sounds good but.....sure doesn't sound like 120wpc....the thing was louder without it. Gain is up full. Maybe I'm missing something. He has an nikko alfa 2 I could swap for but he said that has less wpc.....hmmmm
The gain adjustment knobs are not volume knobs.

I had them all over....still not loud. Funny I did think they were kinda like a volume .

It's been many years since I've installed car amplifiers. But there is a simple equation, using a few known variables, to determine the proper gain setting of a subwoofer amplifier. I wonder if there is a similar equation for a full range application?

The best part is I cleaned all the in put and out put conections on the tandberg while I had it down .....it sounds better than it has in a long time!

Tandberg 1020 is about 40w...so the internet says. The ramsa has way way less volume.

Tandberg 1020 is about 40w...so the internet says. The ramsa has way way less volume.
I stand corrected on the 1020, i was in a hurry and read specs for the wrong receiver.

Consider that the Ramsa(Technics pro) being a commercial/professional amp probably has an input sensitivity somewhere in the 1.2 to 1.5 volt range for full output power.

The amplifier section of the Tandberg receiver likely has a higher sensitivity, and it's preamplifier section was designed with a compatible output voltage. This means the preamp section of the Tandberg doesn't put out enough voltage to drive the Ramsa to full power as Silentnet stated in post #8.

Thanks guys......i talked with the guy and he has no problem with a return....for some reason I'm looking in the sansusi direction....they seem more affordable than marantz and as a kid i did have one. The guy has a handful I can try. Now just which one is the question? Again thanks!

The Tandberg probably isn't providing high enough voltage input to get full output from the amp, it being a pro amp.
That's right. The tandberg is probably outputting a -10dBV (0.316v) but the amp wants to see a pro, +4 dBm (1.2v) level. Now you need a preamp. Music stores sell them as "bump boxes" that convert a -10 sig. to a +4 (1.2v). They're cheap, about $40.

Back
Top Bottom