Hooking up a Sunfire Sub to my Marantz 2238b receiver.

Mediclarry

Hey all,new here.....here's my question. I have the Marantz 2238b receiver. It has pre outs and ins on the unit. What would be the best was to hook up a Sunfire sub with this receiver? Could I just go through the pre in and outs to use my sub woofer? Little help from the gang . Thanks Larry

You can run the A wires to your speakers and the B wires to the sub.
You can run the A wires to the sub, and then from the sub up to your speakers.
Not sure how you could go about using the pre-outs on the back of the receiver because unless it goes back into the pre-ins you wont get any sound from the speakers.

Hey all,new here.....here's my question. I have the Marantz 2238b receiver. It has pre outs and ins on the unit. What would be the best was to hook up a Sunfire sub with this receiver? Could I just go through the pre in and outs to use my sub woofer? Little help from the gang . Thanks Larry

Larry, what model Sunfire sub? Reason I ask is some models offer speaker level Inputs?

Regards,
Jerry

I'd use the pre-outs, and an rca splitter, route one pair of rca's to the sub, and the other pair back to the marantz, that's going to result in the highest sound quality signal to the sub.

If it is like my Sunfire "Signiture," yes you can.

There are stereo RCA jacks for "Line In" inputs from your preamp and "High Pass" outputs to run back to your amp.

BTW, the best/most important thing you can do is to remove the amp from the cabinet and give it its own ventilated cabinet and make a block-off plate for the speaker. I just made the amp cabinet from four pieces of 1" x 4" wood with 1/2" mesh wire on the back and some perpendicular metal straps along the bottom with rubber bumpers for feet so it sits upright. I put a speaker wire terminal cup in the bottom piece of wood. The speaker block off plate is particle board painted black with a speaker wire terminal cup added.

I've literally had mine shake itself to death, twice, until I did this. The electronic components literally shake themselves apart from the inside. You can't get these serviced anymore, so you need to take every precaution. o_O

Now there is more cabinet volume, the amp doesn't get shaken, and the back of my amp enclosure is open mesh for better ventilation/cooling. The amp is actually located in my bedroom closet on the other side of the wall from the living room, with a piece of heavy wire coming through the wall and running under the baseboard to the corner of the living room. I've not had a problem since.

Last edited:
If it is like my Sunfire "Signiture," yes you can.

There are stereo RCA jacks for "Line In" inputs from your preamp and "High Pass" outputs to run back to your amp.

BTW, the best/most important thing you can do is to remove the amp from the cabinet and give it its own ventilated cabinet and make a block-off plate for the speaker. I just made the amp cabinet from four pieces of 1" x 4" wood with 1/2" mesh wire on the back and some perpendicular metal straps along the bottom with rubber bumpers for feet so it sits upright. I put a speaker wire terminal cup in the bottom piece of wood. The speaker block off plate is particle board painted black with a speaker wire terminal cup added.

I've literally had mine shake itself to death, twice, until I did this. The electronic components literally shake themselves apart from the inside. You can't get these serviced anymore, so you need to take every precaution. o_O

Now there is more cabinet volume, the amp doesn't get shaken, and the back of my amp enclosure is open mesh for better ventilation/cooling. The amp is actually located in my bedroom closet on the other side of the wall from the living room, with a piece of heavy wire coming through the wall and running under the baseboard to the corner of the living room. I've not had a problem since.
Hey, I heard of solutions like that. I have a True Sub sig Mk Iv, I think. Its been service once and i think its needs it again. Can you post a pic for me? I like visuals. thanks

My pleasure:

BTW, it make a big difference in which side (speaker or passive radiator) faces the wall.

Sunfire_004.JPG

Sunfire_003.JPG

My pleasure:

BTW, it make a big difference in which side (speaker or passive radiator) faces the wall.

Great pics, toddalin! Now after seeing your pics, I went on the web to learn what I can about this sub. From what I have found, this sub has no built-in high pass filter.

That's NOT a problem as many subs do not. It means, however, there is no real benefit from using the line level inputs and outputs. In short, the line level output is identical to the line level input.

For two channel systems, a well respected sub manufacturer recommends the use of the speaker level inputs. Reasoning behind this is they want the sub to "see" exactly the same audio signal as the main speakers with all of the phase shifts introduced by the power amp. According to them, it's far easier to integrate music systems connecting this way.

Regards,
Jerry

PS: I would opt for the neither to face the wall, but if I had no choice, I would have the active driver facing the listener.

Great pics, toddalin! Now after seeing your pics, I went on the web to learn what I can about this sub. From what I have found, this sub has no built-in high pass filter.

That's NOT a problem as many subs do not. It means, however, there is no real benefit from using the line level inputs and outputs. In short, the line level output is identical to the line level input.

For two channel systems, a well respected sub manufacturer recommends the use of the speaker level inputs. Reasoning behind this is they want the sub to "see" exactly the same audio signal as the main speakers with all of the phase shifts introduced by the power amp. According to them, it's far easier to integrate music systems connecting this way.

Regards,
Jerry

PS: I would opt for the neither to face the wall, but if I had no choice, I would have the active driver facing the listener.
Interesting about using speaker level inputs. I will give this a try. This was primarily for the HT setup for the last 17 years. It certainly rocks the low end for 7.1/5.1 I want to experiment with it in 2 channel environment.
thanks.

Hey Jazzmans......please draw me a diagram of the way you would do it. How many Y cables do I need? Is the Y cable a 2 male ends - 1 female end....or ....2 female ends - 1male end. Please let me no before I buy the ones I need. Thanks my freind....Larry

Guys I just checked my new Sunfire sub,it doesn't have any speaker hookups on it...just the input and output RCA hookups. That's all. Thanks all.

If you have input and output RCA's it's easy.

a set of rca's from your receiver's pre-amp out to the input of the sub.
another set of rca's from your sub back to the main in inputs of your receiver.

Or, you could buy 2 1 male to 2 female splitters, then plug the male end into the pre-outs, a set of rca's to the sub, and another set of rcas back into the receiver.

I've got multiple pre-outs on both my main pre(bryston) and my house system pre(apt-holman) so I don't have to use splitters on my best systems, but the other sub/speaker systems in my house are all a variation of the second option.

Hey jazzman,,I think I got it. Is there any chance of you drawing a little diagram,and posting it for me? I want to be sure I get it right. Thanks my friend. Larry

Back
Top Bottom